LZ A6/A6 mini discussion and review thread
Aug 13, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #466 of 687
For all the things that I have been trying on the nozzles, I also see that the foam piece improved a lot the timbre produced by the electropiezo beside taming down treble peaks. There's an increase in the mid section with the mod applied, which slightly modifies the timbre of the IEM.
I have forgotten to mention previously that I pushed the piece all the way down to the tip of the nozzle, aiming for to tame down only the high mids and high peaks.
1597329357861.png

Based on Audio-Heaven's explanation of the graph, the little boost on 500-1000 helps bringing forward the mids; I also sensed that comparing this other nozzles.
1597329977200.png

About the timbre, this is also mentioned in their web. Looking at the graph, the foam did quite flatten out after the boost from 500 to 2k.
1597330365839.png

Aug 13, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #467 of 687
Also, If you push the little piece of foam all the way up to the tip of the nozzle, it will mainly only reduce high mids and treble peaks. If you let the foam visible at the entrance of the nozzle, it will also boost the lower end of the frequency, making the whole thing way less sparky. I believe that you tried the mod on the black nozzle right?
I did try the foam in the black nozzle (thanks for the mod suggestion!) however my foam extended the length of the nozzle. Perhaps I should try again with a smaller piece?

Aug 13, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #468 of 687
I did try the foam in the black nozzle (thanks for the mod suggestion!) however my foam extended the length of the nozzle. Perhaps I should try again with a smaller piece?
Yeah, it would be cool if you tried that again with a smaller piece pushed all the way in. If you fill the entire nozzle it's even going to sound muddy.
This is what I use now (left) vs a totally filled black filter (right). The foam is not filling the entire nozzle, it's pushed all the way to the top and it's not visible.
1597335024004.png
1597335153724.png

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #469 of 687
It is the same for cotton. I mentioned months ago that I used a little piece trying not to fill the whole thing and pushed all the way in. The main reason that I changed cotton for foam is because It is way easier to measure the quantity of the foam for each ear.
1597335363164.png

It's a bit obvious but yeah, take care also about the density of the foam. You will need less in a thick foam. For example, I have two types of foams and the right one is thicker than the left one (the one I'm using) so I will need a smaller piece of it.
1597335706941.png

Aug 13, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #470 of 687
I'll try that now. By the way my grey nozzles are different from each other. Some very poor quality control. As you can see one has a bore diameter that is double the other.
51D79BC4-1514-40CE-B3FF-990A95183213_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #472 of 687
Whoa, that's so weird lol. I don't use them anyway, so I would not even be bothered. I checked mines and it seems that the original size is this one:
1597337221396.png
Thanks for letting me know which is the proper bore. Ya, I'm so happy with Pink, Black and purple that I'm ok with not trying the grey.

I'm listening to the Black with less foam (and pushed up to the silk filter) now and it does indeed sound open and airy. Crazy good!!

Aug 13, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #473 of 687
Thanks for letting me know which is the proper bore. Ya, I'm so happy with Pink, Black and purple that I'm ok with not trying the grey.

I'm listening to the Black with less foam (and pushed up to the silk filter) now and it does indeed sound open and airy. Crazy good!!
I have been AB-ing with and without the foam on the black filter. For some reason, the soundstage with the foam inside sounds wider than the counterpart. But the best part for me is the timbre correction; the violins, male voices and electric guitars sound really on point.

Aug 13, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #474 of 687
Glad to see a katatonia fan here, am a metalhead myself. How's the A6 for extreme metal buddy? I was looking for a good upgrade, found the A6. The sound seems like a winner for me for the kinda music I listen to..mostly being death/black/doom metal but QC issues man, that's something I can't deal with. Coming from a TRN BA5 which is exceptionally good for extreme metal but bad QC issues I can't deal with another iem haunted with moisture issues. I was looking at T800/Blessing 2 but reading through the whole 31 pages, everyone is hyping it with sound. As much as I want to get this, m scared to deal with another bad QC iem. It was a nightmare dealing with the aliexpress seller for aftersale service. Amazon is selling for $310!! That's a lot while on Ali it's going for $210 right now. I'd choose amazon for the easy returns but the price is too much there.
Hi there! Sorry for the late reply, but I have missed this post somehow. Nice you like Katatonia too, I really love them and I'm lucky as my wife loves them too.
LZ A6 is undeniably a great set of IEMs, however, for extreme music I would like a bit more punch than they provide. When I try to get more bass, it results in moisture in the filters problem. As I probably mentioned earlier this is a love - hate relationship I have with them, but they are still my no. 1 IEMs, although fit is also really problematic for me. I know you can buy them really cheap now, but in my opinion a wiser move would be to wait for A7 if you want to get some LZs. A6 sounds great - very crisp and clean, but they have some problems that may really spoil the joy of listening to them.

Aug 13, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #475 of 687
When I try to get more bass, it results in moisture in the filters problem. As I probably mentioned earlier this is a
Since I modded the black nozzle per @Luis1316 tips, I never encounter moisture problem anymore even though I eq the low to get more bass.
Perhaps you want to try.

Aug 13, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #476 of 687
Hi there! Sorry for the late reply, but I have missed this post somehow. Nice you like Katatonia too, I really love them and I'm lucky as my wife loves them too.
LZ A6 is undeniably a great set of IEMs, however, for extreme music I would like a bit more punch than they provide. When I try to get more bass, it results in moisture in the filters problem. As I probably mentioned earlier this is a love - hate relationship I have with them, but they are still my no. 1 IEMs, although fit is also really problematic for me. I know you can buy them really cheap now, but in my opinion a wiser move would be to wait for A7 if you want to get some LZs. A6 sounds great - very crisp and clean, but they have some problems that may really spoil the joy of listening to them.
Thanks for the reply, Glad you have a great partner who enjoys your kinda music. I am a huge fan of the earlier death/doom sound from brave murder day, for funerals to come. I do enjoy the later on albums as well.
I have changed my mind since leaving you a message. I'll be getting something else for now (mostly a blessing 2) and will wait for the L7. Is it announced yet? When can we expect them to come out?

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #477 of 687
Since I modded the black nozzle per @Luis1316 tips, I never encounter moisture problem anymore even though I eq the low to get more bass.
Perhaps you want to try.
Thanks, but I found a very good fit with my cutted foam tips that I mentioned in my previous posts so I'm not really craving for more bass since it will affect the whole clarity of the IEM.

Aug 14, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #478 of 687
Perhaps you want to try.
I tried this mod some time ago and did not like the sound. Using stock silver now. No moisture, but still whatever I do I cannot get proper bass slam. Even after EQuing. I fear A6 is unable to slam hard. Anyways, thanks for your suggestion.

Thanks for the reply, Glad you have a great partner who enjoys your kinda music. I am a huge fan of the earlier death/doom sound from brave murder day, for funerals to come. I do enjoy the later on albums as well.
I have changed my mind since leaving you a message. I'll be getting something else for now (mostly a blessing 2) and will wait for the L7. Is it announced yet? When can we expect them to come out?
Yeah, love Brave Murder Day. We were in Stockholm last December for the Night is New Day's 20 years anniversary full album show. Great memories. We try seeing them as much as possible, or at least were unil COVID crap bomb exploded. Still nice to see another fan, as I generally think it is difficult to meet one :)
As for LZ A7 I think it's coming this October. Already one of the guys from the forum has a test unit, see LZ A7 thread to find out more.

Aug 14, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #479 of 687
I tried this mod some time ago and did not like the sound. Using stock silver now. No moisture, but still whatever I do I cannot get proper bass slam. Even after EQuing. I fear A6 is unable to slam hard. Anyways, thanks for your suggestion.

Yeah, love Brave Murder Day. We were in Stockholm last December for the Night is New Day's 20 years anniversary full album show. Great memories. We try seeing them as much as possible, or at least were unil COVID crap bomb exploded. Still nice to see another fan, as I generally think it is difficult to meet one :)
As for LZ A7 I think it's coming this October. Already one of the guys from the forum has a test unit, see LZ A7 thread to find out more.
Try the Pink filter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back