LZ A6/A6 mini discussion and review thread
Jul 17, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #436 of 687
I'm not sure either. I guess just put a little piece of cloth or foam without a filter would work.
I fear it may be driver flex related. I think there is too much pressure building up on the right side as it squeaks and cracks when I insert the nozzle in my ear. Plus if I unscrew the filter a bit the cracking is gone and loudness seems more or less ok. I probably should find a way to make a bigger vent hole or possibly another one.

Jul 25, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #437 of 687
Hi, in your opinion is A6 Mini is still worht buying in this day and age? :) I want something on the bright side and as I understand with blue filters it should sound bright and clear? As these went in price significantly since releas it looks like a bargain now :)
Edit:
Screenshot_20200725_203312.jpg

I found this graph, so in your opinion is there really such a big dip after 4k or this is just a glitch with measuring equipment, as I have seen this happen on some of the graphs and read about it.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #438 of 687
Hi, in your opinion is A6 Mini is still worht buying in this day and age? :) I want something on the bright side and as I understand with blue filters it should sound bright and clear? As these went in price significantly since releas it looks like a bargain now :)
Edit:
Screenshot_20200725_203312.jpg
I found this graph, so in your opinion is there really such a big dip after 4k or this is just a glitch with measuring equipment, as I have seen this happen on some of the graphs and read about it.
Yeah, it seems that the dip between 4k - 10k is real. I'm only talking from my experience with the A6, but I think that both share the same piezo driver, which is what I'm going to talk about (highs).
I have gotten the same results with the A6 graphs, which has 4 more BAs focusing on mids, but it seems that they both share that dip. By looking at the graph I would expect an average-small soundstage and not very microdetailed oriented, but in reality is quite the opposite, it is an IEM focused mainly in high mids and highs. It actually has the biggest soundstage, best clarity, and best instrument separation of all my IEM collection.
So I decided today to take my friend's Dayton IMM6 to take some measurements and see what was happening with this MOD (black with cotton/foam) that I have been talking about for so long. Since I couldn't have much time with the Dayton, I decided to take Rikudo's favorite filter (pink) to make a little comparison and see what was happening without anything:

1.jpg
- Both of them look similar, but the black filter has some obvious peaks in the high region.

The black filter MOD vs no MOD:
3.jpg
- As expected, all those peaks in the high region has been toned down; the biggest 4k - 4.5k peak has been toned down. Besides that, there is a weird thing happening: with the MOD on, the high mids between 500 - 1k has slightly been elevated, making it almost even to the peak near 3k.

The black filter MOD vs pink filter:
2.jpg
- To my surprise, on the black filter, the highs has been toned down to almost the same level of the pink filter, but it maintains the same high mids 500 - 1k boost. I have a feeling that somehow the MOD mutes partially the decibels coming from the single electropiezo, making the 4 BA drivers timbre more prominent on the mids. For some reason I have felt that the timbre has been improved.

Out of curiousity, I decided to try the MOD on the pink filter to see if what I felt (electropiezo getting partially muted making the BA's more prominent) was correct or if it was a "black filter thing"; first, pink filter MOD vs no MOD:
5.jpg
- It happens to be the case: highs toned down and mids getting elevated. I didn't feel that this MOD was suited for the pink filter because it erased completely the airiness of the highs and made the overall sound way darker.

Pink filter MOD vs Black filter MOD:
4.jpg
- Proportionally speaking, it was the expected case with no prominent peaks on highs and an almost even high mids with highs. The only difference here is that on the black filter we are maintaining the airiness of the highs:1k - 4k are still noticeably above the low and the mid region in comparison to the pink filter here.

It wasn't that much of a hassle doing this, but I think this helps a bit with the problem that some people may see with the treble spikes. Besides taming downs those spikes, I still think that there's a meaningful improvement with the MOD on in many aspects, so I encourage everyone trying it out since it is removable.

Thank you for reading.

Jul 26, 2020 at 4:33 AM Post #439 of 687
Yeah, it seems that the dip between 4k - 10k is real. I'm only talking from my experience with the A6, but I think that both share the same piezo driver, which is what I'm going to talk about (highs).
I have gotten the same results with the A6 graphs, which has 4 more BAs focusing on mids, but it seems that they both share that dip. By looking at the graph I would expect an average-small soundstage and not very microdetailed oriented, but in reality is quite the opposite, it is an IEM focused mainly in high mids and highs. It actually has the biggest soundstage, best clarity, and best instrument separation of all my IEM collection.
Thank you for your reply, it was very helpful. Will give these a try then, as I have couple of iem's that are more bass and mids centered so would like something focused on the upper side of the spectrum :)

Jul 29, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #440 of 687
Just received my pair of A6 Mini today. I know it's been quite late since everyone is waiting to the A7 now. But my first impression on them is positive so far, only the vocal does sound too thin. Other than that, they are very good for the price

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #442 of 687
Okay, so I'm very surprised about what I'm finding...
LZ A6 Mini - all filter.png
The blue filter is like taking a machine gun loaded with needles and then shooting it straight in my ears. :laughing:

Jul 29, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #444 of 687
Jul 29, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #446 of 687
ikr :joy: need to mod them down at least
I also believe there is a filter for the A6 that is even PEAKIER than the blue mini filter....unbelievable.....

Jul 29, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #448 of 687

Users who are viewing this thread

Back