LZ A6/A6 mini discussion and review thread
Jul 3, 2020 at 4:15 AM Post #406 of 687
True, I swapped to the balanced copper cable, sounding better for me now.
The stocked tips quality is also not good. I find KZ and UB YBF tips are a good match.

True, I've been using KZ tips and really liked it. The best match for me are Final E tips though, they help more with peaks and warmer up the sound.

Besides taming down some treble peaks, this MOD also rectifies the overall electro piezo timbre, so I think it's a game changing modification, especially for the black filter.

Maybe, haven't try it I must admit. I suppose final E tips help in similar way.

Jul 3, 2020 at 6:49 AM Post #407 of 687
Maybe, haven't try it I must admit. I suppose final E tips help in similar way.
Try it out, it's totally reversible, you only have to add a bit cotton/foam and fill the filter and then remove it if you didn't like it. I have been trying around and I also think that soundstage sounds wider with the mod; same thing happened with my T800, the foam I added on my Sedna Azla widened the soundstage.

Jul 4, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #408 of 687
So I decided today to take my friend's Dayton IMM6 to take some measurements and see what was happening with this MOD (black with cotton/foam) that I have been talking about for so long. Since I couldn't have much time with the Dayton, I decided to take Rikudo's favorite filter (pink) to make a little comparison and see what was happening without anything:

1.jpg

- Both of them look similar, but the black filter has some obvious peaks in the high region.

The black filter MOD vs no MOD:
3.jpg

- As expected, all those peaks in the high region has been toned down; the biggest 4k - 4.5k peak has been toned down. Besides that, there is a weird thing happening: with the MOD on, the high mids between 500 - 1k has slightly been elevated, making it almost even to the peak near 3k.

The black filter MOD vs pink filter:
2.jpg

- To my surprise, on the black filter, the highs has been toned down to almost the same level of the pink filter, but it maintains the same high mids 500 - 1k boost. I have a feeling that somehow the MOD mutes partially the decibels coming from the single electropiezo, making the 4 BA drivers timbre more prominent on the mids. For some reason I have felt that the timbre has been improved.

Out of curiousity, I decided to try the MOD on the pink filter to see if what I felt (electropiezo getting partially muted making the BA's more prominent) was correct or if it was a "black filter thing"; first, pink filter MOD vs no MOD:
5.jpg

- It happens to be the case: highs toned down and mids getting elevated. I didn't feel that this MOD was suited for the pink filter because it erased completely the airiness of the highs and made the overall sound way darker.

Pink filter MOD vs Black filter MOD:
4.jpg

- Proportionally speaking, it was the expected case with no prominent peaks on highs and an almost even high mids with highs. The only difference here is that on the black filter we are maintaining the airiness of the highs:1k - 4k are still noticeably above the low and the mid region in comparison to the pink filter here.

It wasn't that much of a hassle doing this, but I think this helps a bit with the problem that some people may see with the treble spikes. Besides taming downs those spikes, I still think that there's a meaningful improvement with the MOD on in many aspects, so I encourage everyone trying it out since it is removable.

Thank you for reading.

Jul 4, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #409 of 687
It wasn't that much of a hassle doing this, but I think this helps a bit with the problem that some people may see with the treble spikes.
Thank you so much for your effort for this community.

May I know how much of cotton do you use to get that mod graph? Can share the mod picture of black nozzle?

TIA

Jul 4, 2020 at 6:54 PM Post #410 of 687
Thank you so much for your effort for this community.

May I know how much of cotton do you use to get that mod graph? Can share the mod picture of black nozzle?

TIA
I mainly use this MOD on my black filter since the blue one has too much recessed mids and the red doesn't have the same soundstage and clarity as the black one; other filters are out of the question since this MOD would make them too dark as you have seen in my previous post.
I used to use cotton, but I changed it to foam later on. The point is not too thick that would clog completely the whole filter; try it by yourself by adding little by little until you don't feel the harssness in the treble. It's actually easier to measure and maybe cleaner to use foam, but I didn't feel any change in the sound using any of these two materials.
The difference on the volume for me on the Ibasso DX160 high gain was 2 to 3 steps with the MOD: to get the same volume, without MOD for me would be 32 - 35, and with the MOD 35 - 38)
1593902633188.png

1593902530590.png

1593902553489.png

Jul 8, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #411 of 687
I mainly use this MOD on my black filter

The last couple days I have been using the black modded nozzle and swapping among cotton, foam and alcohol pad.
My preference is foam > cotton > alcohol pad. Maybe because of the DD burn too in together with the tamer treble, I enjoy my LZ A6 bass very much now.
My complaint now is the fit after some times I need to re-adjust my earphone to get a good fit and isolation.
Thanks @Luis1316 for your input.

Jul 8, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #412 of 687
The last couple days I have been using the black modded nozzle and swapping among cotton, foam and alcohol pad.
My preference is foam > cotton > alcohol pad. Maybe because of the DD burn too in together with the tamer treble, I enjoy my LZ A6 bass very much now.
My complaint now is the fit after some times I need to re-adjust my earphone to get a good fit and isolation.
Thanks @Luis1316 for your input.
I have tried a lot of different tips. I went from some basic plastic eartips to more expensive ones, but I ended up using a "moded" foam tip.
- Spinfits cp145: the silicon didn't bother me too much, but the insertion is too deep making the bass too prominent for me.
- Final type E tips: quite comfortable, but the narrow design of the tip enhanced bass and mid, and the treble soundstage and clarity got quite cutted.
- Azla Sedna: too much treble, you will need to add a piece of foam into the tip to make it usable; very good for instrumental pieces, but the subbass is so light that you barely feel it.
- Comply foam tips: the best fit of all of them, after adjusting it into my earcanal, It has this kind of "disappeared" type of comfort; my main complain with this is that the insertion is too deep again, it enhances the bass but on the good side it smoothens further the treble.

LZ A6 alredy has a long nozzle, and that affects the insertion depth of the tips as you can see. I decided to try a simple thing that some people in the forum did:
cuttin a foam tip until you see clearly the tip of the nozzle (this mod only works for IEMs with long nozzles). Use a random foam tip to test this, I'm sure you have some around there that you don't use; you don't really need a expensive Comply foam tip to test this since the effect is going to be almost the same, only the material will differ. It's fine to not make a clean cut, it doesn't really affect anything. Also people who has a lot of ear wax, don't clean periodically their ears, or a serious wet-oily wax should be taking care of using this mod, since it exposes the nozzle directly to the ear canal.
This helped a lot, and now is my main preffered option for tips. Basically, the comfort of the foam is still there, and maybe the comfort is even better for some people since cutting the tip in half means that there is less tip-ear canal contact; the quantity of the bass is reduced (one of my main objectives) and the clarity of the treble and soundstage has been maintained because there is less contact with the foam material of the tip.
1594212803003.png

Jul 8, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #413 of 687
Jul 12, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #414 of 687
You guys with the A6 try this song:
Speechless.

When the bass is this good (in tightness, texture and speed) it makes me want more (quantity) :joy:
(which I think is a good thing, because its proof that the bass is addicting)

Jul 14, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #415 of 687
You guys with the A6 try this song:
Speechless.

When the bass is this good (in tightness, texture and speed) it makes me want more (quantity) :joy:
(which I think is a good thing, because its proof that the bass is addicting)

Listen to this. Sub-bass, bass, mids and highs all over the place. Pretty amazing.

Jul 14, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #416 of 687
To those still having problems with moisture, I just removed the crappy silk and put it on the other end of the nozzle. After that, I have placed a custom mesh on the original end to help prevent moisture and dust to get in. It seems to solve the problem, with no significant changes in sound. Only a bit more airy.

Attachments

• 20200714_141346_1.jpg
    20200714_141346_1.jpg
    886.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200714_143325.jpg
    20200714_143325.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 14, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #417 of 687
To those still having problems with moisture, I just removed the crappy silk and put it on the other end of the nozzle. After that, I have placed a custom mesh on the original end to help prevent moisture and dust to get in. It seems to solve the problem, with no significant changes in sound
Is it possible to buy this mesh on Aliexpress? What size is that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back