LZ A5
Apr 13, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #976 of 1,177
Good question. Anybody ask?

Just logged in to my Penon account, and sent a message, asking which nozzles they're shipping with new A5 orders.

Apr 13, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #977 of 1,177
Just logged in to my Penon account, and sent a message, asking which nozzles they're shipping with new A5 orders.

Received an automated reply, saying that they'll answer email questions when they're back to work on Monday.

Apr 14, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #979 of 1,177
Don't have the new filters but this review was already overdue!
https://primeaudio.org/lz-a5-review/

DSC_1154.jpg

Apr 16, 2018 at 12:20 AM Post #980 of 1,177

Interesting reply from Penon Audio, about the A5 nozzles - They said they've confirmed with LZ, and that he said he's never planned to do a new set of "differently tuned" nozzles... :astonished: :thinking:

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2018 at 1:06 AM Post #981 of 1,177
Interesting reply from Penon Audio, about the A5 nozzles - The said they've confirmed with LZ, and that he said he's never planned to do a new set of "differently tuned" nozzles... :astonished: :thinking:
That is indeed interesting. Chi Kong Hui is usually right in these matters. Hopefully, @B9Scrambler or @Dsnuts can give some insight on this soon.

Apr 16, 2018 at 6:15 AM Post #983 of 1,177
Interesting reply from Penon Audio, about the A5 nozzles - The said they've confirmed with LZ, and that he said he's never planned to do a new set of "differently tuned" nozzles... :astonished: :thinking:

That is indeed interesting. Chi Kong Hui is usually right in these matters. Hopefully, @B9Scrambler or @Dsnuts can give some insight on this soon.

Beyond the day they arrived I haven't really had any chance to listen to them. Will try to get some in today and report back.

Apr 16, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #984 of 1,177
Interesting reply from Penon Audio, about the A5 nozzles - They said they've confirmed with LZ, and that he said he's never planned to do a new set of "differently tuned" nozzles... :astonished: :thinking:

I replied, with a link to the post in this thread that has the photo of the new color nozzles.
They replied back, saying that they're glad to tell me that the current LZ A5 comes with this kind of new filters, which "was a long time ago."

Apr 16, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #985 of 1,177
Quickly run through grey, red, and blue. Gotta say, the new filters are nice regardless of whether they're LZ's creation or not. Common theme seems to be reduced and smoothed out lower treble with a boosted midrange all the way through. It's all fairly subtle, but the blue is the most drastic change. Couldn't stand stock blue as they were just raw and unpleasant. New ones are fine. Only negative is sound stage seems to be slightly reduced, likely due to the more forward mids. A trade off I'm more than willing to accept. I'd actually willingly go about selecting and listening to the A5 with these filters.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #986 of 1,177
Oh nice. Can't wait to give them a go. Seems they took the time to retune the A5 using these new filters. Should have mines tomorrow. More forward mid range is exactly what these needed. Excellent.

Apr 16, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #987 of 1,177
I replied, with a link to the post in this thread that has the photo of the new color nozzles.
They replied back, saying that they're glad to tell me that the current LZ A5 comes with this kind of new filters, which "was a long time ago."
I bought mine recently on Amazon. How do I know if I have the old or the new filters?

Apr 16, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #988 of 1,177
Apr 16, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #989 of 1,177
Well, according to this post by @B9Scrambler - https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lz-a5.867896/page-65#post-14169666 - if the filter material inside the nozzles is not clear (on all except the Blue nozzle), then they're the new filters.

Old/new side by side. New is on the left, old on the right. As you can see, all but the blue use a darker filter material. Blue looks the same, but doesn't sound quite the same. Could always just be my imagination since I can't measure them, but I'd say the new are an improvement.

A5 Filters.jpg

Apr 16, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #990 of 1,177
I can see if they lowered the upper mid emphasis according to the graphs of the new filters how you can perceive the mids being a bit more forward. Should sound less bright also as a result.

In any case. Love that they actually took the time to redo the filters and I can see how they will use these new filters for newer batches of the A5 from this point forward.

10087170.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back