LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
May 30, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #4,292 of 5,225
Hi all,

Add one more to the LZ-A4 party - mine will be arriving next weekend! Here's one question: has anyone tried the A4's with the HTC 10 or LG V20 DACs and no additional amps? I'm looking for a new phone that would go well with these IEMs, and it'll be one of those two. Thanks!

Judging by what I am hearing these will work fine with the phones you mention. I have been playing then via Mojo, FiiO X3ii and Galaxy S6 phone and all play very well indeed. Incidentally I am currently also very tempted by the V20 myself. I think it will be a great match for the LZ A4's. These are very easy to drive it would appear. Am listening to Enya Watermark right now on the S6 and it's superb and running at around 4/5 volume without the need to push further.

May 30, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #4,293 of 5,225
Congratulations and welcome in the A4 club,
Which filters combination you are using ,???

Thanks Mate. Am using the red backs and black fronts. I did go red/blue to start but they were a little "hot", even though I am used to K3003's (treble filtered) and T1 beyerdynamics, lol. Now it's creamy smooth.

Amazed that the cheapest decent set of IEMs I have bought (by a long shot) is seemingly the best sounding. Haha. I should be a bit upset, no?

These beauties just disappear, leaving me to bathe in the music. Superb.

May 30, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #4,294 of 5,225
Yeah, these things sound better than most cans I own. Only the PM-3 and Fostex TH-X variants sound smoother and that's pretty great company to be in at this price point.

May 31, 2017 at 2:50 AM Post #4,296 of 5,225
just comparing directly now to my K3003's the LZ's are noticeably more natural, better definition, air around instruments, separation, timbre. The K3003's sound unrefined and aggressive by comparison. Putting the A4's back on now... they just sound completely effortless, yet with as much detail and better presented. Absolutely shocking.

May 31, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #4,298 of 5,225
Hello all,

My UE TripleFi 10's fell apart last year and I have been using a old pair of Atrio Future Sonic's as a "replacement". I really do not use IEM all the time and not wanting to drop the $ I did on the UE's but something that is a good value lead me to these LZ-A4's.
Searching through this thread is appears that most everyone with a balanced player has updated to the balanced cord. Is there that much of a sound difference? And is it primarily the "official" balanced cord or another 3rd party one that is most preferred?

Jun 1, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #4,299 of 5,225
Any change will depend on the player - and not the balanced cable. And hardly anyone volume matches - so mostly they are making subjective calls which are probably just reflecting one is louder than the other,. If the output impedance changes on your DAP (between balanced and SE) then there may be small changes in frequency response. Personally I think the whole "balanced is better" thing is over done. I'll show it graphically as soon as I finish my LZA4 review.

Jun 3, 2017 at 2:40 AM Post #4,300 of 5,225
Hello all,

My UE TripleFi 10's fell apart last year and I have been using a old pair of Atrio Future Sonic's as a "replacement". I really do not use IEM all the time and not wanting to drop the $ I did on the UE's but something that is a good value lead me to these LZ-A4's.
Searching through this thread is appears that most everyone with a balanced player has updated to the balanced cord. Is there that much of a sound difference? And is it primarily the "official" balanced cord or another 3rd party one that is most preferred?

Was in the exact same situation as you (got in on those crazy $99 black friday triple.fi deals a few years back). I still have the triple.fi and I can say with confidence that these are an upgrade in just about all frequencies, regardless of filter choice.

Jun 3, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #4,301 of 5,225
Any change will depend on the player - and not the balanced cable. And hardly anyone volume matches - so mostly they are making subjective calls which are probably just reflecting one is louder than the other,. If the output impedance changes on your DAP (between balanced and SE) then there may be small changes in frequency response. Personally I think the whole "balanced is better" thing is over done. I'll show it graphically as soon as I finish my LZA4 review.
Really looking forward to your review. In the market for A4. Any eta on the publish date?

Jun 3, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #4,302 of 5,225
I think it'll be next after the Fidues A91, FiiO X5iii and VE Enterprise. So maybe another week.

Jun 3, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #4,303 of 5,225
Was in the exact same situation as you (got in on those crazy $99 black friday triple.fi deals a few years back). I still have the triple.fi and I can say with confidence that these are an upgrade in just about all frequencies, regardless of filter choice.

Thank you very much for the feedback! These will definitely be my next in-ear phones.

Jun 6, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #4,305 of 5,225
Does anyone know of any after market cable with mic and volume controls for an iphone?

I can verify this cable works on my iPhone although I haven't put it through it paces yet. The sound is a touch brighter than the stock cable and the ear loops are a bit too stiff, so I prefer the original but, it does have a mic and 1-button play/pause functionality.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back