LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
May 11, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #4,231 of 5,225
Are the A4's supposed to be hard to drive? I just got some and it was apparently pre owned and they sound meh. I have to practically crank my Shanling M2 and Centrance Mini M8 to get the music to swing.

I use A4s with balanced Fidue Cable on Astell AK70 , perfect match. ( Black + Black now ).

When I compare they are not as "easy" as previous LZ A3 , but deeper bass and more details.

May 12, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #4,232 of 5,225
I have offer lined up for LZ A4 with similar price as VE Zen 2. Which is better per price and performance and which has deeepper soundstage, that makes you feel you are inside the music.

May 12, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #4,233 of 5,225
Maybe someone should try the VE Zen 2 with those clip on tubes that turn buds in to IEM´s

Anyways, anyone compared the LZ-A4 to the Trinity Masters or Phantom Master 4, Im also interested how do they compare to the K3 Pro

May 12, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #4,234 of 5,225
I have offer lined up for LZ A4 with similar price as VE Zen 2. Which is better per price and performance and which has deeepper soundstage, that makes you feel you are inside the music.

I have both. Off the bat, Zen 2 has more depth. A big changed since I've beefed up my setup: Opus#1, then bought a dunu cable upgrade. I now get more details coming from LZ-A4, and the overal imaging size and immersion experience. LZ-A4 loves more juice/more power and it's a rewarding iem. Zen 2 might require good amping (imagine portability).

Who knows, I might get a second Lz-A4 if there's no other bang for buck iems in the market as of now.

ps. both are solid buys, so no regrets...it will depend on how you want to enjoy your music in the end.

May 12, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #4,235 of 5,225
Maybe someone should try the VE Zen 2 with those clip on tubes that turn buds in to IEM´s

Anyways, anyone compared the LZ-A4 to the Trinity Masters or Phantom Master 4, Im also interested how do they compare to the K3 Pro

The PM4 sounds like a $30 iem, the A4 sounds like a $300 iem, that's the difference :wink:

Honestly though, the A4 outperform the PM4 is every possible way, no comparison. Haven't heard the Masters so someone else will have to answer that.

Fwiw I've got the Icarus III on order so I'll be able to compare those to the A4 in due time.

Last edited:
May 14, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #4,236 of 5,225
peter123 - just got a quick hour in with them, with the black back and red front filter. I can see why you like them - is that your preferred setup (I know our sonic preferences overlap a bit).

Too early to make any useful statements yet, but there is a nice feel to the sound. Is there any recommended burn in / brain burn in time for these? Finding the highs just a little gritty right out of the box, but that is coming straight from the Campfire Vega and Dorado, so have been spoiling myself with their particular sound signature for a while! :wink:

I know this is an old post, but I was curious how you found the LZ-A4 vs. the Campfire Dorado. I recently added spinfit tips to my LZ-A4, and the treble has really come under control. It's now less fatiguing to listen to, and I've been using the Red back/blue front filter combination. E.g. how is the soundstage, balance of lows/mids/highs, detail, etc.

May 14, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #4,237 of 5,225

What are these tubes and where can I get them?

May 14, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #4,238 of 5,225

According to Trinity, my masters have been shipped. At least that was his reply, when I wanted to cancel my Master preorder (shipping in March guaranteed, duuuuuh). Now I'm on vacation and the local post office will store stuff only for 7 days before they will send it back. So with a little bit of luck, I can do a comparison, when I'm back.

May 14, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #4,239 of 5,225
there's no comparison between LZ-A4 and the PM4...as in PM barely holds up even with the price tag. hopefully the new outings are better...

May 16, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #4,241 of 5,225
ok, finally ordered my endgame "LzA4 + Monk+" last week, now I am thinking a bit about the players, currently I have Samsung note 4 and my old MSI Gx640 with realtech sound card "quite big sound". I don't wanna spend too much on a DAC or DAP, But what is the cheapest upgrade in type of DAC or DAP that is awesome with A4 and Monk+. And I wanna know if the upgrade is like 25% better sound then my current setups.

May 16, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #4,242 of 5,225
ok, finally ordered my endgame "LzA4 + Monk+" last week, now I am thinking a bit about the players, currently I have Samsung note 4 and my old MSI Gx640 with realtech sound card "quite big sound". I don't wanna spend too much on a DAC or DAP, But what is the cheapest upgrade in type of DAC or DAP that is awesome with A4 and Monk+. And I wanna know if the upgrade is like 25% better sound then my current setups.

Dragonfly Black

May 17, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #4,243 of 5,225

Can you give us an idea of budget for DAC/DAP? For DAP I've been very impressed with the Fiio X5 III and I've read good things on here about the Cayin N3 (half the price of the Fiio) but if you have more money to throw around, you may be able to do way better. Both of these (as far as I know) also function as DACs when plugged into a PC.

May 17, 2017 at 6:33 AM Post #4,244 of 5,225

Try Cayin N3.

May 17, 2017 at 7:33 AM Post #4,245 of 5,225

If you are just after improved sound quality and don't care about things like DAC capabilities, Bluetooth etc then the Aune M1S is a fantastic performer around the $200 mark (currently on Massdrop) and sounds fantastic with both (for me, anyway).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back