LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Apr 20, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #4,126 of 5,225
So these arrived today.  I am nowhere near achieving burn in (well I do have 30 minutes on these....).  Nevertheless, I can fully  understand the buzz around these.

Like the FLC8S; you can dial in a sound signature that appeals.  I am starting off in something of a mid-range tuning.  I am using my favorite tips, the JVC Spiral Dot.  So far I would describe these as an enjoyable listen.  The comfort is slightly less agreeable than the FLC8S; but not a problem.  Much better than the IT03 for me, for example.  Unlike the FLC8S or the LZ-A2, I don't think you could fall asleep to these with one ear on the pillow.

Its really way to early to make any other kind of observation that I could support down the road.  But it does seem like these do not have quite the same level of "micro detail" afforded by the FLC8S.  The FLC8S manages the fine line of being close to reference while still being somewhat affordable and comfortable to wear.  The LZ-A4 strikes may as possibly one step down compared to reference units I have heard, including the FLC8S, but boy howdy it also costs about 1/5 as much as many of the reference units.  I could easily understand why some people would buy these and call it a day for a long period of time.

The LZ-A4 does remind me quite a bit of my beloved LZ-A2 unit.  The treble is more refined on the LZ-A4.  Even with minimal burn in that comes through.  But I will venture that the LZ-A2 feels smaller in the ear and therefore a bit more comfortable.

Apr 20, 2017 at 1:08 AM Post #4,127 of 5,225
  I just got these. Amazing bang for buck. I'm currently on Red back black nozz. I have no idea how I'm going to test all the combinations though. Any suggestions for combos? I was going to try black black next. They came with black blue, but I didn't enjoy that too much. (Consequently, and I know this is somewhat vain, but I love the red accent on the black shells).

Some other observations, Final Audio Tips seem to work well with these, Comply do not. I also rather dislike the tip selection, I tried around 6 different sets of the ones provided and just couldn't get a good fit. Luckily I have many tips, with my ultimate backup being my spinfits. The wire is fantastic and reminds me of the wire I got with my ASG-2s which were a considerably more expensive hybrid. 

Check my review, Brookos, and one other review for measurements of all tuning combinations.

Apr 20, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #4,128 of 5,225
How do you guys compare the grey and black nozzles? I find that with the black I get the beautiful mids and highs I'm after but have to have the volume significantly lower so lose the bass I get on the greys. That said the grey's don't have the wide, forward mids and highs of the blacks..... tough to decide and I suppose it all depends on the genre as well.

Apr 20, 2017 at 2:14 AM Post #4,129 of 5,225
Regrettably, I've missed out on the Rockets, even they were for shy around 150 USD -- I wasn't so much of a mids purist at the time. I did get a good taste of mids coming from the dn2000. The mids here are sweet for vocals and strings (the way I liked it to be).

On a tangent, another head fier asked me if I were to recommend this or say the flc8s. He had money to blow and according to his desired sound, I suggested the Flc. These are no substitute, but holds such great value that's makes it an easy recommendation.
I agree with Snuffs, I'm a favor of mids getting the proper spotlight in presentation. I've returned my it03, and haven't looked back.

I've had a big smile on my face today, being able to pop these in again (Dunu copper cable came in) and pairing these with my OPUS1. Big Details + Big Soundstage = Big smile on this handsome face!

(Not simply because of the cable, when they are powered right, they scale superbly well!)

Apr 20, 2017 at 5:34 AM Post #4,130 of 5,225
I was going to get the FLC8S but these were literally 1/2 the price of the lowest I could find them at and had just enough extra money for these, so I went with them just for the tunability at the price-point. I have the added benefit of the MMCX which affords greater low level flexibility for cables.as well, which is a big plus. 

Apr 20, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #4,131 of 5,225
  Check my review, Brookos, and one other review for measurements of all tuning combinations.

I checked them out, that should help me find combinations that I enjoy. Thanks for that. I've always wanted to make my own FR set up, but I've honestly just not been able to do it the way I wanted to. Cheers mate

Apr 20, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #4,132 of 5,225
I have gotten a 2.5mm Balanced Cable from AliExpress with the intention to pair it with the A4 and Opus #1 and unfortunately it's not working on the right side...
Now the seller wants me to send it back to China for them to verify..

Apr 21, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #4,133 of 5,225
I have gotten a 2.5mm Balanced Cable from AliExpress with the intention to pair it with the A4 and Opus #1 and unfortunately it's not working on the right side...

That's standard procedure for faulty products on AE unfortunately. On the plus side if you decide to send it back it should be pretty cheap but it will take a while unless you use an express service.

Apr 21, 2017 at 5:03 AM Post #4,134 of 5,225

Open a dispute and make a small video showing the issue, always good proof.

narrate the video while you are doing it, and make sure there's a good overview of what is going on. If you can proof it, AE will almost validate your proof and make a full refund. don't settle for anything less.

Apr 21, 2017 at 5:10 AM Post #4,135 of 5,225
Open a dispute and make a small video showing the issue, always good proof.

narrate the video while you are doing it, and make sure there's a good overview of what is going on. If you can proof it, AE will almost validate your proof and make a full refund. don't settle for anything less.

Yea I would want to do that, but I guess it is quite hard to prove a cable is not working? Just don't know if I open up a dispute will end up infuriating the seller

Apr 21, 2017 at 5:29 AM Post #4,136 of 5,225
Yea I would want to do that, but I guess it is quite hard to prove a cable is not working? Just don't know if I open up a dispute will end up infuriating the seller

Turn IEM up loud and hold each side to microphone.

Apr 21, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #4,137 of 5,225
hello,

I received my LZ A4s last Friday and I have been impressed w/the SQ so far. Still messing w/the different filters and playing it mainly through my Dragonfly Black DAC--I have also ordered some different tips--Spinfit and looking for some affordable Spiral Dots. The one thing I wanted to note was that the IEMs really reek! They have a real chemical smell, kind of smoky/burnt that I have been unable to get rid of so far. I used some Sprayway cleaner on the cabling and very lightly on the IEMs w/out the filters, which helped a little but the smell is still really strong. Has anyone else experienced this and been able to clean/remove the smell?

(crossposted this on Massdrop)

Apr 21, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #4,138 of 5,225
[COLOR=404040]
hello,
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=404040]
I received my LZ A4s last Friday and I have been impressed w/the SQ so far. Still messing w/the different filters and playing it mainly through my Dragonfly Black DAC--I have also ordered some different tips--Spinfit and looking for some affordable Spiral Dots. The one thing I wanted to note was that the IEMs really reek! They have a real chemical smell, kind of smoky/burnt that I have been unable to get rid of so far. I used some Sprayway cleaner on the cabling and very lightly on the IEMs w/out the filters, which helped a little but the smell is still really strong. Has anyone else experienced this and been able to clean/remove the smell?

(crossposted this on Massdrop)
[/COLOR]

Sorry about the smell. Mine did not have an odor to them

I think Spiral Dots really help the A4 shine, I preferred them over spinfit but it was close

Apr 21, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #4,139 of 5,225
nealh,

thanks for the reply. Since the smell is mostly the cables, I might have to go buy another set.  I will start looking through the thread to find some links/recommendations on alternative cables.  Have you swapped out your cables yet?

Apr 21, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #4,140 of 5,225
nealh,

thanks for the reply. Since the smell is mostly the cables, I might have to go buy another set.  I will start looking through the thread to find some links/recommendations on alternative cables.  Have you swapped out your cables yet?

My cable has no abnormal smell. I actually really like the cable that came with it.
My cable has no abnormal smell. I actually really like the cable that came with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back