LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Apr 21, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #4,141 of 5,225
  hello,

I received my LZ A4s last Friday and I have been impressed w/the SQ so far. Still messing w/the different filters and playing it mainly through my Dragonfly Black DAC--I have also ordered some different tips--Spinfit and looking for some affordable Spiral Dots. The one thing I wanted to note was that the IEMs really reek! They have a real chemical smell, kind of smoky/burnt that I have been unable to get rid of so far. I used some Sprayway cleaner on the cabling and very lightly on the IEMs w/out the filters, which helped a little but the smell is still really strong. Has anyone else experienced this and been able to clean/remove the smell?

(crossposted this on Massdrop)

​Mine smelled really bad of smoke when I first got them.  I wondered if someone who assembled them was chain smoking or something at the time. After a few days, I put them next to my ozonics unit for a while and the smell went away.

Apr 21, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #4,142 of 5,225
AS,
I just looked up an Ozonics unit on Amazon... the HR-200 i saw was $350!!! 
eek.gif
  I guess I will have to find a better option.

Apr 21, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #4,143 of 5,225
Just wanted to write down impressions of galaxy s8 exynoss combined with LZ A4's.

It's amazing. Soundstage matches high-cost DAPs and micro details are all there. Bass is SUPER tight. Mids crystall clear. Highs.. oh boy, probably biggest change here.

A big improvement over average galaxy s7 exynoss DAC. Actually it plays at the same level as x5 3rd gen. Except for the amp. But still it's plenty loud if you use it for IEMs.

DAC inside this amazing smartphone is Cirrus Logic SC43130.

Apr 21, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #4,144 of 5,225
The only sub-$200  sub-$299 IEM in this ranking chart...in with the big boys...A4 !

http://www.head-fi.org/t/815852/the-universal-iem-chart-k10-layla-oriolus-s-em9-and-more

Apr 22, 2017 at 2:10 AM Post #4,145 of 5,225
AS,
I just looked up an Ozonics unit on Amazon... the HR-200 i saw was $350!!! :eek:   I guess I will have to find a better option.

Put it in a plastic box with lid together with some dishwasher tablets or a small bag (open) with powder detergent and keep the lid on for a week. I guarantee it'll work, did the same with a lot of stuff that smelled smoke from a fire I my house recently.

Apr 22, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #4,147 of 5,225
Question on LZA4s and MCX connectors. I've had my LZA4s for a week or so and sound wise am blown-away considering the price. (BTW I've been rocking red filters on the back and black on the nozzles).  

One problem I'm having though is that my mmcx connectors are coming loose. I've tried both the stock cable and the cable from my MEE Pinnacles and have the same problem, The connection itself is not that tight and when combined with the fairly heavy weight of the IEMs themselves and a little physics like swinging your head around ... well I've already had 2 occasions where the earpiece detached from the cable. while I was wearing it. 

Anyone else had this problem? Any recommended fixes? Maybe my units are just defective and I need to get them replaced? 

Thanks for any input in this. 

Apr 22, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #4,148 of 5,225
The ultimate method to "burn-in" many earphones at once.
Peter is now an expert handling smoking earphones. XD

LOL! I wouldn't recommend it though :wink:

Apr 22, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #4,149 of 5,225
Regrettably, I've missed out on the Rockets, even they were for shy around 150 USD -- I wasn't so much of a mids purist at the time. I did get a good taste of mids coming from the dn2000. The mids here are sweet for vocals and strings (the way I liked it to be).

On a tangent, another head fier asked me if I were to recommend this or say the flc8s. He had money to blow and according to his desired sound, I suggested the Flc. These are no substitute, but holds such great value that's makes it an easy recommendation.
I agree with Snuffs, I'm a favor of mids getting the proper spotlight in presentation. I've returned my it03, and haven't looked back.

I've had a big smile on my face today, being able to pop these in again (Dunu copper cable came in) and pairing these with my OPUS1. Big Details + Big Soundstage = Big smile on this handsome face!

(Not simply because of the cable, when they are powered right, they scale superbly well!)

Hey Buddy, sorry if I missed it but how do you like the cable? Are you able to wear it over ear? It's a nice cable huh?

I put it on my SW3 the other day and it took a fork lift to get it back off. Holy hell those things (the IEMs) chomped onto the MMCX connectors for dear life. 11 broken fingers later I got it back off. My Ted Allen copper balanced cable came in which I planned to use on the A4, but we'll see what combo works best. 

-Collin-

Apr 22, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #4,150 of 5,225
Hey Buddy, sorry if I missed it but how do you like the cable? Are you able to wear it over ear? It's a nice cable huh?

I put it on my SW3 the other day and it took a fork lift to get it back off. Holy hell those things (the IEMs) chomped onto the MMCX connectors for dear life. 11 broken fingers later I got it back off. My Ted Allen copper balanced cable came in which I planned to use on the A4, but we'll see what combo works best. 

-Collin-

hey Collin! well I'm still baffled ( now in a good way) going from balanced, to now using the Dunu upgrade cable (SE) into my amp. I can definitely tell (and CONFIRM) that these little gems LIKES POWER!

Using Penon's new replacement cable, I got more or less the same sound -- smooth and emotional upper mids/highs. Dunu claims their upgrade cable to provide details, though I simply suspect such details come from the entire chain altogether. Best guess it ramps up sensitivity such that you get max juice. it really blows up the soundstage and man I'm pretty much appreciating my full chain here :)

Apr 22, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #4,151 of 5,225
Accidentally threw my A4's into the washer today. I'm gonna bury it in rice overnight to try and get rid of any moisture. Any other tips?

Apr 22, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #4,153 of 5,225
I've joined in the fun of this LZ A4. I enjoy my MaGaosi K3 Pro but the A4 is a different beast altogether. Took some time rolling tips; I wasn't getting good enough seal with the S/MS Spiral Dots and SS/S/M SpinFits and surprisingly using the 'stock' silicone eartips that came with the K3 Pro was the best ones for me on the LZ A4
L3000.gif
. Now I'm going to let it run through my playlist for a few days, but so far I'm enjoying the Black-Back/Black-Front, and Black-Back/Grey-Front.

Apr 22, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #4,154 of 5,225
I've joined in the fun of this LZ A4. I enjoy my MaGaosi K3 Pro but the A4 is a different beast altogether. Took some time rolling tips; I wasn't getting good enough seal with the S/MS Spiral Dots and SS/S/M SpinFits and surprisingly using the 'stock' silicone eartips that came with the K3 Pro was the best ones for me on the LZ A4:L3000: . Now I'm going to letting it run through my playlist for a few days, but so far I'm enjoying the Black-Back/Black-Front, and Black-Back/Grey-Front.

oh you're gonna have fun with this. pitch in further impressions if you'd like or other useful comparisons. I might consider the k3 later on.

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #4,155 of 5,225
I've joined in the fun of this LZ A4. I enjoy my MaGaosi K3 Pro but the A4 is a different beast altogether. Took some time rolling tips; I wasn't getting good enough seal with the S/MS Spiral Dots and SS/S/M SpinFits and surprisingly using the 'stock' silicone eartips that came with the K3 Pro was the best ones for me on the LZ A4:L3000: . Now I'm going to let it run through my playlist for a few days, but so far I'm enjoying the Black-Back/Black-Front, and Black-Back/Grey-Front.

The stock Clear Black tips for the K3 are nice in general

Users who are viewing this thread

Back