LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Apr 22, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #4,156 of 5,225
oh you're gonna have fun with this. pitch in further impressions if you'd like or other useful comparisons. I might consider the k3 later on.

Will do! So far my OOTB take on the LZ A4 vs K3 Pro is that ergonomics wise the K3 Pro is much better. Sound wise, I can't really say just yet but once I let the A4 run for a few days I'll pitch in a small comparison between the two. Using something that'll be more relatable to the "regular consumer/budget-philes"; a regular laptop with Centrance Dacport Slim, XDuoo X3 and iPhone 7+ as the sources.

Apr 23, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #4,157 of 5,225
Been rocking red backs + pink fronts for more then a month. Havent looked back.

http://s.aliexpress.com/Z7vYFNry
(from AliExpress Android)
Also got this cable. Bass feels less in quantity abit but so much more controlled!

Apr 23, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #4,158 of 5,225
Will do! So far my OOTB take on the LZ A4 vs K3 Pro is that ergonomics wise the K3 Pro is much better. Sound wise, I can't really say just yet but once I let the A4 run for a few days I'll pitch in a small comparison between the two. Using something that'll be more relatable to the "regular consumer/budget-philes"; a regular laptop with Centrance Dacport Slim, XDuoo X3 and iPhone 7+ as the sources.

It's very interesting how we all differ. Well I agree the A4 is not the most ergonomic, I find the K3Pro requires a deeper insertion which is been tricky for me to find the right tip to maintain comfort. There is no doubt it is lighter.
In my case, there are trades off for both of them comfort wise although the K3Pro is the winner by small amount for me

Sound wise I lean toward the A4, black/pink, as it just has a bit more forward, toward the front of my head vocals. The base is excellent and the upper frequencies are smooth

That's not to say that the K3Pro is not excellent but the lower end is a little less not excellent but the lower end has a little less oomph, vocals are nice and very good. There is a little bit more at the higher end than black/pink on the A4

Both are outstanding but I will say the K3Pro is probably a price: performance champ I will say be careful there are some reports of possible counterfeit K3Pro that are a brown color

Apr 23, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #4,159 of 5,225
Say, a couple of questions for the experts.

I started off black black, which I presumed was considered something of a reference tuning.  Is there a reference tuning, and f so what would that be?

I went to red - blue as an experiment.  Seems the blues stick out quite a bit; is that considered normal?

These are not broken in, but for now it seems that the red back filter provides a similar bass profile to the old LZ-A2.  Any thoughts?

Right now I am in  red - black for what its worth.

Another question.   Do these have sound leakage?  My wife asked me to turn these down this morning....never heard that request with the FLC8S.  Inquiring minds want to know what might be going on.  

Is there a short list of favorite combinations from the crowd?   

Thanks

Apr 23, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #4,160 of 5,225
I have not had issues of sound leakage. Guess it depends upon the volume you're playing at

My favorite combos:
Black/pink
Black/black

Apr 23, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #4,161 of 5,225

Another question.   Do these have sound leakage?  My wife asked me to turn these down this morning....never heard that request with the FLC8S.  Inquiring minds want to know what might be going on.  

Technically speaking they are open (or at least semi-open) backed, so if you push them hard enough there will be some leak. Not an amount that would annoy someone else on public transport but probably enough to heard within a quiet household (or office space). That's if you're listening at a relatively high volume though...

Apr 23, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #4,162 of 5,225

​I wasn't playing anything particularly loud.   I was waking up and wanted some gentle Sunday morning music.

I am gathering these have an open back and in a quiet environment (like at home in bed I the burbs) they can be heard at times.  They sure were heard today (as in "can you turn that down a bit").

Apr 24, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #4,163 of 5,225
​I wasn't playing anything particularly loud.   I was waking up and wanted some gentle Sunday morning music.

I am gathering these have an open back and in a quiet environment (like at home in bed I the burbs) they can be heard at times.  They sure were heard today (as in "can you turn that down a bit").

I'm sorry. She got good hearing and sensitive to audio frequencies but they are open back. Imsuresound leakage is possible

Apr 24, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #4,164 of 5,225
30 hours brain burn in guys, please read the instructions...this ain't the Dunu Titan-1... ;p

Apr 24, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #4,165 of 5,225
LZ really infected me with the hifi-disease again. Now having Lyra II and Angie coming in 
rolleyes.gif

Apr 24, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #4,166 of 5,225
LZ really infected me with the hifi-disease again. Now having Lyra II and Angie coming in :rolleyes:

I know...these are so evil. I'm just hoping for another solid bang for buck to come along.

Apr 24, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #4,167 of 5,225
LZ really infected me with the hifi-disease again. Now having Lyra II and Angie coming in :rolleyes:

Had the Angies recently (V1), now considering getting the Full Metal Jacket variant. This hobby is lethal!

Apr 24, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #4,168 of 5,225
It's very interesting how we all differ. Well I agree the A4 is not the most ergonomic, I find the K3Pro requires a deeper insertion which is been tricky for me to find the right tip to maintain comfort. There is no doubt it is lighter.
In my case, there are trades off for both of them comfort wise although the K3Pro is the winner by small amount for me

Sound wise I lean toward the A4, black/pink, as it just has a bit more forward, toward the front of my head vocals. The base is excellent and the upper frequencies are smooth

That's not to say that the K3Pro is not excellent but the lower end is a little less not excellent but the lower end has a little less oomph, vocals are nice and very good. There is a little bit more at the higher end than black/pink on the A4

Both are outstanding but I will say the K3Pro is probably a price: performance champ I will say be careful there are some reports of possible counterfeit K3Pro that are a brown color

Hey, I understand what you mean regarding the deeper insertion needed for the K3 Pro, and the JVC Spiral Dot tips are pretty short so what I did was placed a rubber o-ring that is used for mechanical keyboards. I've done this with several earphones to push out the tips out a bit more. This also added a small benefit of giving me a better seal all around.
And here is a comparison with and without the o-ring.

And because this is the LZ A4 thread not the K3 Pro, I'll post a pic of my LZ A4 when I unboxed it.
tongue.gif

Edit: For those who want to purchase these little o-rings, they go for $0.73USD for 120pcs on eBay just search for "Rubber O-ring Dampers Keycap" and you will find them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOTS-120PCS-White-Rubber-O-Ring-Dampers-Keycap-Mechanical-keyboard-For-Cherry-MX-/371780636163?hash=item568fda4e03:g:NewAAOSw5cNYHC7M

Apr 24, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #4,169 of 5,225
These are definitely the LZ-A2 on steroids.  Which is  a good thing.

My LZ units will most likely become my travel pairs and the FLC8S will live in the home front.  The FLC8s tend to have pieces go flying; the LZ is much easier to customize without losing pieces.     But I must say that the FLC8S costs 60% more and there is some justification for the price diference.  The LZ-A4 as many have said is quite musical, but not perfectly comfortable and are not TOTL candidates.  the FLC8S approaches TOTL status.  And as many know quite a few  TOTL units from yesteryear are not even in the hunt compared with some of what has come out in the last 2 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back