LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Feb 28, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #2,941 of 5,225
as time goes, I think most of us are appreciating the greys; the balanced clear presentation and I personally love the vocals on this one.

I still haven't decided if I like the blue or red backs with the grey...source dependent for sure too

maybe I used the wrong back filter with grey.

But too my ears the Black/Gray combo just hit me in the face with too much bass and mids, YMMV. I just keep going back to Black /Black. I guess its the balanced, smooth and detailed sound(very nice soundstage not the most 3D though.

I could see where you're coming from. source/power/gain can really push things forward, aside the physical properties of the A4. it's always nice to have options!

Feb 28, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #2,942 of 5,225
HELP!!!!!......HELP!!!!!.....PLEASE! I can't take the music in my head any more.

I'm looking for a recommendation on a IEM with a wide sound stage and depth.  I have my LZ A4 paired with a Teac HA-P90SD Dap and this particular Dap has a short sound stage which mean all the music is in my head and complex arrangements seem jumbled.  I listen mainly to 80's and 90's R&B with a little New Age Jazz.   I have about 150 hour on both the player and the A4s

I love the sound of the LZ A4, just hate that everything is in my head and I don't want to have to purchase and return a bunch of IEMs so I'm looking for good solid recommendations  which will give me  deep, fast, and tight bass,  warm mids with vocals as forward as possible and if they can offer micro details that would be even better.  I would like to stay in the same price range as the LZ A4s.

From what I know about my P90 DAP, even after a long burn in the sound stage will still be limited, it seems to be the nature of this particular player.  The P90 is capable of driving difficult IEM and I'm only interested in IEM since I do allot of traveling.

Thank you 

Andre

Feb 28, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #2,943 of 5,225
HELP!!!!!......HELP!!!!!.....PLEASE! I can't take the music in my head any more.

I'm looking for a recommendation on a IEM with a wide sound stage and depth.  I have my LZ A4 paired with a Teac HA-P90SD Dap and this particular Dap has a short sound stage which mean all the music is in my head and complex arrangements seem jumbled.  I listen mainly to 80's and 90's R&B with a little New Age Jazz.   I have about 150 hour on both the player and the A4s

I love the sound of the LZ A4, just hate that everything is in my head and I don't want to have to purchase and return a bunch of IEMs so I'm looking for good solid recommendations  which will give me  deep, fast, and tight bass,  warm mids with vocals as forward as possible and if they can offer micro details that would be even better.  I would like to stay in the same price range as the LZ A4s.

From what I know about my P90 DAP, even after a long burn in the sound stage will still be limited, it seems to be the nature of this particular player.  The P90 is capable of driving difficult IEM and I'm only interested in IEM since I do allot of traveling.

Thank you 

Andre

sounds like my experience with the Shanling M2. even if you want to find a replacement I can't think of any other iem that won't be heavily affected by your dap.

get an earbud. that's my .02c

Feb 28, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #2,944 of 5,225
  After checking and finding that my hearing tops out around 14-KHz these days, I switched from the Blue nozzles to the Gray nozzles, to take advantage of the enhanced Midrange.  I've been using the Red (B) / Gray (F) combo for a few weeks now, and it sounds good to me.

The next thing I want to try, is swapping back and forth between the Red & Gray nozzles, listening for the differences in Midrange & Sound-Stage   Any suggestions for tracks / albums that will best highlight the differences in those nozzles?

I've mainly used the Red backs, and haven't listened critically enough to the Black backs, to tell if there are any major differences in sound.

Take Care,
David Baldock

Switched to the Red nozzles at work today, and with the Red backs, the Bass seemed to boom - but the sound-stage did open up, with the vocals receding a bit, but still sounding smooth and balanced.

So, I switched to the Black backs, and the Bass tightened up - and the Midrange & Treble is still clear and detailed.

I've got the A4 earphones connected to my DP-X1, using an Impact Audio Custom Balanced Cable, and listening to flac files of some Iona CDs.  Now, I need to listen to some of my old Big Band and Jazz discs, to see how those sound with the Black (back) / Red (front) combo.

Feb 28, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #2,945 of 5,225

I'm looking for a recommendation on a IEM with a wide sound stage and depth.  I have my LZ A4 paired with a Teac HA-P90SD Dap and this particular Dap has a short sound stage which mean all the music is in my head and complex arrangements seem jumbled.  I listen mainly to 80's and 90's R&B with a little New Age Jazz.   I have about 150 hour on both the player and the A4s ...

get an earbud. that's my .02c

I second 1TrickPony's rec to try some earbuds.  Closer to the headphone than IEM in soundstage and really cheap to try ( < $10).  I'd recommend the Qian 39 or Monk Plus for a cheap starter and then go from there.

Feb 28, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #2,946 of 5,225

Thank you 

Andre

Keep your LZA4s.  Get a DAP or Smart Device which you can use either Neutron or Viper, and use their DSP algorithms to alter the sense of stage.  The FiiO X5iii coming out now has Viper integrated and the ability to alter staging is impressive.

In my experience. you are not going to get speaker like sound from a sealed IEM.

Feb 28, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #2,947 of 5,225
Have been following the general comments on the filter combos.  FTR - I'm using mainly Black/Grey.  I finished measuring everything last night.  When I get time to post the frequency response plots, some of them are going to blow your minds.  I'm betting some of them will not be what you were expecting :)

Feb 28, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #2,948 of 5,225
Have been following the general comments on the filter combos.  FTR - I'm using mainly Black/Grey.  I finished measuring everything last night.  When I get time to post the frequency response plots, some of them are going to blow your minds.  I'm betting some of them will not be what you were expecting :)

Thanks. This is exactly what we need. I think some of the graphs will not be what we are expecting too, I have some hunches of what is going on with these iems...

Feb 28, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #2,950 of 5,225

I'm pretty much sold on the gray nozzle but I like the Blue back as bass is not my bag
wink_face.gif
Looking forward to your overall impressions for sure
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 28, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #2,952 of 5,225
To me it's so interesting how a given combo sounds just right to one person and so different to another.

Mr. LZ really hit a winner. This IEM appeals to so many tastes. Is it perfect no but it has so many nice options.
You can even change the sound not only for your mood, genre but source!

Feb 28, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #2,953 of 5,225
Thanks to all of you for your feedback on my request for recommending IEMs for a wider sound stage.   I'll give the earbud a try because they are cheaper and see how that sounds.   I don't want to replace my Teac because I just got it less then three weeks ago.

Andre

Feb 28, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #2,954 of 5,225
Shockwave III

Sound stage and details are ridiculous.
:grinning::grinning: TWIN

Feb 28, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #2,955 of 5,225

Users who are viewing this thread

Back