LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Feb 9, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #2,521 of 5,225
To be quite frank, the LZ-A4 could present itself to be a tall order to review, or let alone for me to decide my top favorite configuration lol (I'm still flipping filters even now). I've gone back to the Red nozzle/Black vent, but this time I've used a large spinfit thus causing the A4 to sit further placed. The width now feels less narrow, more wider. nice resolution, while retaining that smoothness and honey sweet flow. I've been spending time with the Pinnacle P1s with its truly superb immersive soundstage (recording dependent). The A4 is more generally enjoyable for most recordings even if the P1 can outdo it in terms of immersiveness. Preferences? Sure I like A4s but aside my subjective preference, it's always nice to know that good iems are easily accessible if the budget allows.  Both iems are excellent entry points to the mid-fi world, with the A4 offering plenty of tunings that are easy to enjoy! 

Feb 9, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #2,522 of 5,225
Spotify lets you save music for offline use on your phone in 320kbps Quality
wink.gif

I have 5TB of music in FLAC, 24bit, concerts, etc. Spotify also adds a tiny bit of bass boost to every song by default on desktop and mobile if you A/B it against a DAC and audio file of the same quality/different source.

Spotify is great for a random listen, but if I want something specific and the best quality, I have a huge collection of my own. Some make the A4 really shine.

Feb 9, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #2,523 of 5,225
Sadly, I have no direct experience with the new M1 (I'm not as active like most execellent reviewers here...mebbe a good thing?lol). Ask @peter123
, he's most likely the right expert with plenty of insight. I have also auditioned the M2 at length; very very rich in mids and hyper detailed. From my experience Shanlings are known for their mids spotlight, and each of their DAPs will add a special touch in a specific frequency range with great resolution.

I use a xuelin ihifi 770 dap, two slightly different soundsignatures with 2 headphone outs. Line-out being available, I TOTALLY love my Alo Rx amp, with the way it feeds my hybrids. You can look into that and ask around. For the footprint and coolness factor, I'd strongly consider the M1 but haven't had the opportunity to hear and compare them. Good luck, let us know how things go and feel free to ask again.

Thanks man!
Thanks to all of you guys, such a nice forum!!

Feb 9, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #2,524 of 5,225
  Hi, me again! I just bought a pair of AKG K3003 (you know, the IEMs that all the Chinese IEMs on AliExpress claim to "kill") and once I receive them, will add a comparison to the LZ A4. I have a feeling this one is going to be REALLY close, but I will research judgement. 

-Collin-

K3003 arrived this morning and I've had a couple hours with them. Initial impressions: fit sucks compared to the A4, build quality is no better than the A4, tip selection sucks on the K3003, pain in the you know what to find tips that fit and they require a ton of power to drive to proper levels. 

Sound? Well I need more time 
smily_headphones1.gif

-Collin-

Feb 9, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #2,525 of 5,225
K3003 arrived this morning and I've had a couple hours with them. Initial impressions: fit sucks compared to the A4, build quality is no better than the A4, tip selection sucks on the K3003, pain in the you know what to find tips that fit and they require a ton of power to drive to proper levels. 

Sound? Well I need more time :)

-Collin-

Well, that's not off to a good start. Lol

Feb 9, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #2,526 of 5,225
Well, that's not off to a good start. Lol

Haha honestly, I'm holding off comparing to the A4 until I verify that mine are NOT counterfeit/fake. Packaging looks suspiciously different from originals and at 8 ohms, they should not be this hard to drive. They're also extremely bass-heavy even with the "reference" filter installed. All of that is polar opposite of the reviews I've read. So, stay tuned! 

-Collin-

Feb 9, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #2,527 of 5,225
Haha honestly, I'm holding off comparing to the A4 until I verify that mine are NOT counterfeit/fake. Packaging looks suspiciously different from originals and at 8 ohms, they should not be this hard to drive. They're also extremely bass-heavy even with the "reference" filter installed. All of that is polar opposite of the reviews I've read. So, stay tuned! 

-Collin-

Collin
I sure hope they're not counterfeit. That would totally suck. Here's wishing you the best.

By the way tomorrow is the date? Good luck with that special new arrival

Feb 9, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #2,531 of 5,225
I see good reviews on the xduoo x3 sq.
It has some cons but dq is one if its best pros.
so is there any disadvantages in this one for the a4? Talking only about the sq.
Cuz it's 90$ and if theres no difference between this and something like the m1, i would highly prefer this.
Any other equally good sq options?
as cheap as x3 ofc.

Just tried the M1 with the A4 yesterday. The sound is shockingly big, coming from such a diminutive player. 

The interface of the M1 is much better than the Xduoo X3, unless you Rockbox the X3 (3rd party custom firmware).

Only thing is that it's not easy to stack the M1 to any amp, given the position of the control/ volume knob.

Feb 10, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #2,532 of 5,225
Just tried the M1 with the A4 yesterday. The sound is shockingly big, coming from such a diminutive player. 

The interface of the M1 is much better than the Xduoo X3, unless you Rockbox the X3 (3rd party custom firmware).

Only thing is that it's not easy to stack the M1 to any amp, given the position of the control/ volume knob.

What are the pros/cons of getting a m1 compared to a xduoo x3 with rockbox?
Sq being the main concern.
Considering the fact that the xduoo is 30% cheaper

Feb 10, 2017 at 2:20 AM Post #2,533 of 5,225
What are the pros/cons of getting a m1 compared to a xduoo x3 with rockbox?
Sq being the main concern.
Considering the fact that the xduoo is 30% cheaper

And how big will the soundstage or overall sound be compared to a relatively new phone like the lg g4? Does any1 have any idea?
Edit:sry for the double i thought i was editing my prev msg..

Feb 10, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #2,534 of 5,225
And how big will the soundstage or overall sound be compared to a relatively new phone like the lg g4? Does any1 have any idea?
Edit:sry for the double i thought i was editing my prev msg..

I'd head to those specific threads on head-fi for those DAPs to get a better answer, this thread is for A4 impressions in the main.

Feb 10, 2017 at 2:29 AM Post #2,535 of 5,225
I'd head to those specific threads on head-fi for those DAPs to get a better answer, this thread is for A4 impressions in the main.

Ye sry but i was looking for something specifically for the a4 and i wonder how good xan my phone drive the a4.
I figured i have more of a chance to get an answer here and maybe it will help some people with the a4 too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back