LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 25, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #2,116 of 5,225
  I agree that the spiral dots are the most comfortable..  that said, updating my previous post about discomfort on my antitragus, today I have switched out to my Meelec bi-flange tips just to see if it can alleviate some of the discomfort I was having.  

Sure enough since the insertion isn't nearly as deep because of the bi-flange, the casing is no longer rubbing up against my antitragus.  However I find the part of the bi-flange that goes into my ear is a lot less comfortable than the spiral dots.

Can someone come up with a hybrid biflange tip where the upper flange is a spiral dot?  

What you could do and what I've done in the past for the same issue as yours-Instead of using a biflange tip buy set of triple flange tips from Mee. You get that extra 3rd small flange on the end that you can stick a Spiral Dot on. That's it. It just slips right on and stays in place. Your basically using the triple flange as an adapter to give you extension and the ability to use a Spiral Dot. 
Hope this helps.

Jan 25, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #2,117 of 5,225
When I received them I almost immediately went to the red-f/Black-b and stuck with that one until today.

Today I swapped the red-f for black-f.  First thing I noticed was the soundstage really opens up, but the bass is different as expected.

Without making any sweeping comments (since ymmv) about the bass because I've only had this combo for 3 hours, I would say that the one thing that stood out for me with red-f/black-b was that the bass was faster hitting, quick decay(not sure if this is the correct terminology).  With black-f/black-b, it is less quick.  The bass kind of hangs around a bit, if that makes any sense.  And it feels like there are less layers of bass hitting my ears than before.  

Someone had suggested Norah Jones a page ago and yes, this combo black/black combo is fantastic for her voice and the simplistic instruments in most of her stuff.  

I don't think that I'll stick with this combo for long though, due to my current music preferences (mostly pop now).  I was thinking of trying black-f/red-b next, maybe in a few days.

Jan 25, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #2,118 of 5,225
I am finding the A4 scales pretty well too. Up to the last couple of days I have been using it exclusively out of my phone, I hate a stack. Couple days ago I decided to try using my Cayin C5DAC with the A4. WOW - soundstage increased pretty significantly (to be expected as the Cayin has a great stage), but more obvious is an increase in the weight and authority of the bass and mids, along with a much more natural and realistic timbre. Bass tightened up, and the mids filled out into something rich, without being thick and congested. Soundstage width is about the same, but depth and layering has significantly increased.

I would say going forward the A4 really needs a good DAC to shine. The HO on a smartphone just does not do these things justice. The A4 reminds me of my HD650 (not in sonic profile). They both sound good out of almost anything, but pair them up with a good dac and some power and they scale waaaay above their price points.

Jan 25, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #2,119 of 5,225
I am finding the A4 scales pretty well too. Up to the last couple of days I have been using it exclusively out of my phone, I hate a stack. Couple days ago I decided to try using my Cayin C5DAC with the A4. WOW - soundstage increased pretty significantly (to be expected as the Cayin has a great stage), but more obvious is an increase in the weight and authority of the bass and mids, along with a much more natural and realistic timbre. Bass tightened up, and the mids filled out into something rich, without being thick and congested. Soundstage width is about the same, but depth and layering has significantly increased.

I would say going forward the A4 really needs a good DAC to shine. The HO on a smartphone just does not do these things justice. The A4 reminds me of my HD650 (not in sonic profile). They both sound good out of almost anything, but pair them up with a good dac and some power and they scale waaaay above their price points.

Agreed. I went from Benjie S5 to XDP-300R and WOW. Improvements across all aspects were obvious, soundstage exploded... Imaging, detail, resolution, smooth I mean EVERYTHING.

Jan 25, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #2,120 of 5,225

Who would have thought?

The least loved tend to get along well together (ofcourse I have excluded the pink...for now). Definitely not for the faint of heart bass heads. If someone wanted immersive mids, here you'll get plenty.

Blue(b)/Grey(f): layered mids. Spotlight and detailed. Bass now at the back seat, still supports and is still felt when called upon. Feels rather open even if not wide.

Yea. I've been enjoying my mids on the A4.

Wow. I came in to work early and used this blue/grey config. Grey always sounded weak to me but somehow works great with the blue back. The sound isn't as natural sounding as other configs but this is oddly very enjoyable.

The Nirvana Unplugged in NY album sounds so good this way.

Jan 25, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #2,121 of 5,225
Agreed. I went from Benjie S5 to XDP-300R and WOW. Improvements across all aspects were obvious, soundstage exploded... Imaging, detail, resolution, smooth I mean EVERYTHING.

Yes. Many people here report that detail on the A4 is good but not great. Using my Cayin DAC detailed level is great to my ears. With my smartphone that was not the case.

Jan 25, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #2,122 of 5,225
Wow. I came in to work early and used this blue/grey config. Grey always sounded weak to me but somehow works great with the blue back. The sound isn't as natural sounding as other configs but this is oddly very enjoyable.

The Nirvana Unplugged in NY album sounds so good this way.

It's not the most balanced, but Grey f/ Blue b showcases the A4's wonderful mids - detailed and layered. I've been enjoying this album with this configuration:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JBCMHWYkr0A

Jan 25, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #2,123 of 5,225
Back to the hi-end thing, one of the most interesting aspects for me is having the A4s and the Nighthawks - these two pieces of equipment have shaken up my idea of 'good, better, best' for listening gear. The A4s arguably provide more high frequency detail up front, while the Nighthawks take a more relaxed approach. But I listen to the same music on each set and for my tastes, there's no question of 'this one's better than that one' they're just different. I love them both.

I have the NH's, and you're making me want the A4's even more now!

Jan 25, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #2,124 of 5,225
I have the NH's, and you're making me want the A4's even more now!

Glad to see you here WaynesWorld. If you like your Zen 2, you'll definitely enjoy the large sound coming from the A4. Groovy bass too. You bought any good DAP as of late?

Jan 25, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #2,125 of 5,225
Glad to see you here WaynesWorld. If you like your Zen 2, you'll definitely enjoy the large sound coming from the A4. Groovy bass too. You bought any good DAP as of late?

Hey 1Trick! Yeah, love both zens. I generally find buds more comfy, but it couldn't hurt having some awesome iems could it?!

Bought the walnut recently! But am quasi-lusting over the x10 and m1s, and really lusting over the x5iii due to ultimately also wanting streaming capability and multiple card slots. Maybe the $29 walnut will tie me over for a while lol.

Jan 25, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #2,126 of 5,225
Hey 1Trick! Yeah, love both zens. I generally find buds more comfy, but it couldn't hurt having some awesome iems could it?!

Bought the walnut recently! But am quasi-lusting over the x10 and m1s, and really lusting over the x5iii due to ultimately also wanting streaming capability and multiple card slots. Maybe the $29 walnut will tie me over for a while lol.

Nice. Noticed the walnut as we'll, does that have a line out? I think I'm good for daps for now though the 29$ tag sounds nice. Did you order the A4 already?

Jan 25, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #2,127 of 5,225
Just remember to check with the AliExpress vendors (after Chinese New Year...), and ask if they offer any special deals / discounts for Head-Fi Forum members - because some do.  Penon Audio gave me a discount on the A4 (and the shipping)... 
ksc75smile.gif

Jan 25, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #2,128 of 5,225
  Just remember to check with the AliExpress vendors (after Chinese New Year...), and ask if they offer any special deals / discounts for Head-Fi Forum members - because some do.  Penon Audio gave me a discount on the A4 (and the shipping)... 
ksc75smile.gif

I know this is common knowledge on the discounts, but the A4 is unique in that LZ has specifically told retailers not to discount them. The guy from Penon got absolutely furious at a member on here for disclosing a discount on them. Just a heads-up. 

-Collin-

Jan 25, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #2,129 of 5,225
I know this is common knowledge on the discounts, but the A4 is unique in that LZ has specifically told retailers not to discount them. The guy from Penon got absolutely furious at a member on here for disclosing a discount on them. Just a heads-up. 

-Collin-

I asked for discount and they refused. I asked hoping but not expecting a discount. I would've loved a discount but I love the A4 and it was worth what I paid for
I recommend Penon Audio. Excellent service and shipping

Users who are viewing this thread

Back