LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 26, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #2,146 of 5,225
Blue Grey sounded too weird for me, almost like FM Radio

Ymmv perhaps. With my setup, also using spinfits, listening to Radiohead for example ("how to disappear..." from Kid A or tracks from A mom shaped pool) I overall get nice presentation. I did give a little disclaimer when I found that grey+blue was mid centric with the bass being subdued, more than usual. Give it a shot with different recordings -- I'm just glad that the blue bass filters have their place because they contribute to the overall experience.

Jan 26, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #2,147 of 5,225
Ymmv perhaps. With my setup, also using spinfits, listening to Radiohead for example ("how to disappear..." from Kid A or tracks from A mom shaped pool) I overall get nice presentation. I did give a little disclaimer when I found that grey+blue was mid centric with the bass being subdued, more than usual. Give it a shot with different recordings -- I'm just glad that the blue bass filters have their place because they contribute to the overall experience.

Yeah i personally need at least a bit more weight or low end. 150hz roll off is too high for me

Jan 26, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #2,148 of 5,225
Yeah i personally need at least a bit more weight or low end. 150hz roll off is too high for me

Don't take those chart numbers too literally. They're just an indication of which frequencies are the focus of the filter combos but yeah I need more bass than the blues provide too.

Jan 26, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #2,149 of 5,225
Don't take those chart numbers too literally. They're just an indication of which frequencies are the focus of the filter combos but yeah I need more bass than the blues provide too.

Yeah it still had good bass but just didn't suit my need, it definitely isn't a sudden roll off but rather gradual

Jan 26, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #2,150 of 5,225
Only goes to say that I've been a mids head as of late -- this grey+blue reminded me a bit of the Dunu Titan 3 with the bass taking a backseat and the mids totally taking over. Good thing about the A4 is that the highs sit well in the mix here. Echo, Reverb,Ambience...it's all in there presented nicely as always! :wink:

Jan 26, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #2,151 of 5,225
Can anyone compare them to sennheiser IE80's and IE800? Where do they fall? Probably in-between in sound quality. Also if someone could compare soundstage and mid bass between 80's and LZ A4's with RED(b) and BLACK(f) filters.
Thanks in advance :)

Jan 26, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #2,154 of 5,225
Strangely, I haven't seen one comparison of ie800 and the a4. Weird...

Check out SeeSax' review. He compared it to the 800.

My comparison is fairly short and probably not very useful because I love them both. I would say in comparison with the IE800, the A4 with blue fronts and red backs is a bit more balanced and less v-shaped. Treble sparkles a bit better on the IE800 and overall, there is a higher sense of clarity with the IE800. Detail retrieval is superior, but it's not a slam dunk for the IE800 in any way. They're extremely close in overall quality across the board and if money is of any concern, I'd be happy to recommend the A4 over the IE800. 

The cable on the IE800 annoys me. It's very short the case design is silly where you have to wind it up every time. Also, there is only one type of tip that fits (well maybe Comply now, but I dislike them). 

-Collin-

Jan 26, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #2,155 of 5,225
My comparison is fairly short and probably not very useful because I love them both. I would say in comparison with the IE800, the A4 with blue fronts and red backs is a bit more balanced and less v-shaped. Treble sparkles a bit better on the IE800 and overall, there is a higher sense of clarity with the IE800. Detail retrieval is superior, but it's not a slam dunk for the IE800 in any way. They're extremely close in overall quality across the board and if money is of any concern, I'd be happy to recommend the A4 over the IE800. 

The cable on the IE800 annoys me. It's very short the case design is silly where you have to wind it up every time. Also, there is only one type of tip that fits (well maybe Comply now, but I dislike them). 

-Collin-

Wow, if they are similar in overall sound quality, then it is a no-brainer.

I will order them. They will probably shine even further with higher quality cable as well.

It's fascinating how these chinese IEMs rival 800 USD mainstream products.

Jan 26, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #2,156 of 5,225

I will order them. They will probably shine even further with higher quality cable as well.

Sometimes, I don't question the name or iem, just the price tag. For 195$, there's no question that the Lz-A4 is pretty sweet deal! Just my 2 cents.

Jan 26, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #2,157 of 5,225

It's amazing what you can find from companies who have very low overhead. I refused to spend more than $20 on any headphone or iem for a long time because of the great things I was able to get from Monoprice for cheap.

Back about 5-6 years ago, the cheap Monoprice IEMs for $10 and $20 were better than anything I could find under $100. The IEM market has changed since and our cheap options just get better and better.

I'm glad communities like head-fi exist now, it makes it a lot easier to find the gems out there. The only downfall is my poor wallet is being destroyed!

Jan 26, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #2,158 of 5,225
It's amazing what you can find from companies who have very low overhead. I refused to spend more than $20 on any headphone or iem for a long time because of the great things I was able to get from Monoprice for cheap.

Back about 5-6 years ago, the cheap Monoprice IEMs for $10 and $20 were better than anything I could find under $100. The IEM market has changed since and our cheap options just get better and better.

I'm glad communities like head-fi exist now, it makes it a lot easier to find the gems out there. The only downfall is my poor wallet is being destroyed!

Yes but your wallet is being less destroyed than if we only had the big names to go by! These bang-for-the-buck IEMs are saving me fortunes (keep telling myself that)!

Jan 27, 2017 at 2:13 AM Post #2,159 of 5,225
I am about to pull the trigger on a cable from Impact Audio Cables, just wondering if any of you guys who has upgraded the cable can tell any difference in sound?  Like I said earlier, the stock cable sounds good and seems ok, just think I would still like to upgrade. Don't want to get my hopes up that it will sound better as well, but one can hope ... Any thoughts from those of you with experience here?

Jan 27, 2017 at 2:39 AM Post #2,160 of 5,225
I am about to pull the trigger on a cable from Impact Audio Cables, just wondering if any of you guys who has upgraded the cable can tell any difference in sound?  Like I said earlier, the stock cable sounds good and seems ok, just think I would still like to upgrade. Don't want to get my hopes up that it will sound better as well, but one can hope ... Any thoughts from those of you with experience here?

Difficult question, I personally have never heard any difference from different cables on any of my IEM's or headphones while others seem to hear huge differences and I've even seen some saying that the cable changes the whole signature of an iem.....

You'll most likely get other and different answers as well but I suggest to not get your expectations too high and do some simple a/b testing where you do not know what cable is on them to make up your own mind about it if you do get one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back