LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 9, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #1,516 of 5,225
Since we're talking about "end game", I would not find fault with someone finding a sub 500$ answer. Can be 300$-200$ even. I immediately think of the sub 150$ Zen 2.0 earbuds. Match that with a dap like M3 from Shanling, and there's a solid sub 500$ setup.

So if someone finds delight in the A4, who are we to stop them really?

Jan 9, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #1,518 of 5,225
After a bit more listening, I'm impressed.

I had my Shozy Zero's, 1More Triple's and the A4's and I was switching between. When I got the 1More's a few days ago, I was amazed at the difference between them and the Shozy's. Today I went a step further and compared the Shozy's with the A4's. I honestly thought the Shozy's were very good a couple of weeks ago. The A4's made them sound awful. And they're not, they're very good for the price. But they sound so muffed and muddy compared to the A4's that the difference is unreal.

I've gone with using the stock tips but I'm not happy with them. Using the tips from the Shozy's is slightly better but even they don't feel completely comfortable. I might order some Spiral Dots but I don't know if I just need to get used to a different style of earphone compared to what I'm used to. They don't fit snugly in my ear like the Shozy's and 1More's do. The A4's feel more like they're just resting in my ear and it really wouldn't take much for them to fall out.

But I've only listened for a couple of hours, if that. Maybe the comfort issue will change as i use them.

Jan 9, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #1,519 of 5,225

I had my Shozy Zero's, 1More Triple's and the A4's and I was switching between. When I got the 1More's a few days ago, I was amazed at the difference between them and the Shozy's. Today I went a step further and compared the Shozy's with the A4's. I honestly thought the Shozy's were very good a couple of weeks ago. The A4's made them sound awful. And they're not, they're very good for the price. But they sound so muffed and muddy compared to the A4's that the difference is unreal.

I've gone with using the stock tips but I'm not happy with them. Using the tips from the Shozy's is slightly better but even they don't feel completely comfortable. I might order some Spiral Dots but I don't know if I just need to get used to a different style of earphone compared to what I'm used to. They don't fit snugly in my ear like the Shozy's and 1More's do. The A4's feel more like they're just resting in my ear and it really wouldn't take much for them to fall out.

But I've only listened for a couple of hours, if that. Maybe the comfort issue will change as i use them.

Have you tried to wear them over the ear. Sometimes that makes the fit more snug and secure

Jan 9, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #1,521 of 5,225
It did feel a little better though in the small time I listened, though I've never been a big fan of over ear for some reason.

I can understand that. The nice thing is the cable is small and not very large and comfortable
I actually prefer over the ear even though I wear glasses because I seem to get a better insertion.
Did you try the foam tips that came with it. Sometimes that can provide a more secure feeling fit as well

I do find the correct tip makes a difference with both comfort and fit. I was not a fan of the included silicone tips

Jan 9, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #1,522 of 5,225
I can understand that. The nice thing is the cable is small and not very large and comfortable
I actually prefer over the ear even though I wear glasses because I seem to get a better insertion.
Did you try the foam tips that came with it. Sometimes that can provide a more secure feeling fit as well

I do find the correct tip makes a difference with both comfort and fit. I was not a fan of the included silicone tips

Actually I remember someone saying about foam tips but I didn't see them in the box. I've left the earphones in work so I'll have to take another look and see if I can find the foams.

Jan 9, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #1,523 of 5,225
Actually I remember someone saying about foam tips but I didn't see them in the box. I've left the earphones in work so I'll have to take another look and see if I can find the foams.

Iirc, I found mine in the zip case...or was it in the tuner tin. It's in there.

Jan 9, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #1,524 of 5,225
I think mine were in the zippered case in a little plastic baggie with some other silicone tips if I recall correctly

The phone tips they included had a fairly good size bore and I believe there are medium size tip

Jan 9, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #1,525 of 5,225

That means the eartips you are using aren't good enough.  That also means you aren't getting a full seal and losing substantial quality to the sound.  

I recommend Kombi Tips from Trinity or Sony hybrids, which are basically the same thing.  I had the most success with the Spiral Dots, which even worked well without the Foam insertions I use from the Kombi's because they provide the in between sizes so you an go a little more snug...

But even with shallow fit these big guys should feel comfortable and in place with the right tips.  The A4's aren't exactly made for running, but I've been walking with mine and they don't move and they fit like a glove.

Unfortunately, so many ninnies complained about the foam from trinity Kombi's moving that trinity is going to glue the foam in now and it won't be removable to mod other silicone ear tips.

Jan 9, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #1,526 of 5,225
SMH means Shaking my Head, not sure what it means to you. I'm just trying to understand your recent posts is all.
Lol. Once again, personal preference of end game. If Andromeda is end game then why re you still buying other IEMs. You don't own the A4, probably never will yet you continue to bash it and make assumptions. Please leave this thread so we don't have to worry about your derailment once again

They mean 'somehow'. As you said, SMH already has an established meaning, took me a little while to work out what they meant :xf_eek:)

Jan 9, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #1,527 of 5,225

Thanks for posting the comparison with the Zeros. I've given some as gifts and obviously had a little listen during burn in - I was blown away by the width of the soundstage. When I got the A4s I was delighted but had a nagging feeling that I might want the Zeros as well, due to that great width. And to be honest, that made me feel a bit foolish, because really, the A4s are just where it's at for me. To read that there is such a difference in refinement helps me to put the idea of that additional purchase to bed - even if just for the moment!

Jan 9, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #1,528 of 5,225
Are spiral dot tips supposed to be so soft that you don't feel them at all in your ears? I got both M and ML and the ML seems glossier and firmer. They almost sound identical, but the problem is that the M are so soft that they don't give me that reassuring feel that they are in my ears well and the ML feels a little too big for me.

Jan 9, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #1,529 of 5,225
"End game" means many things to many people. To me, there is no such thing. Any time someone says "this is my end game IEM" I sort of chuckle because unless you're going to keep one IEM for the next 50 years and never log into head-fi again, it isn't true. 

That said, LZ-A4 can EASILY be what is considered "end game" for many people. A $5,000 IEM being available on the market does not change anything for many of us. I would urge you to think outside the box and realize that someone can be completely and ultimately satisfied with a product that they greatly enjoy listening to regardless of it's retail price, clout or worldwide status. 

-Collin-

I agree. Well said.

Jan 9, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #1,530 of 5,225
So unfortunately for my wallet i discovered these scale well upon trying it at a store with the chord mojo. Will probably be getting an oppo ha-2 for these (which i'll try justifying to myself by saying it'll improve my phone battery)..
Going to be a long wait till I get my spiral dots from japan but. Wasn't exactly sure on my size either and didn't want to fork out $20x3 to get 1 of each so hopefully I'm going to get lucky first time around so I don't get the wrong size and have to order and wait again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back