LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 9, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #1,531 of 5,225
Anyone else find the cable too long? And I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this but mine came with a velco strap. Did you guys leave it on cut it off?

Jan 9, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #1,532 of 5,225
Anyone else find the cable too long? And I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this but mine came with a velco strap. Did you guys leave it on cut it off?

Longer is better than too short? Not sure if it's a that big of an issue. Good news though: the cable is replaceable!

Edit: I kept the velcro, felt that could be thinner...but I live far from the perfect world :p

Jan 10, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #1,535 of 5,225

Cable is longer so that they can be worn over ear.

Jan 10, 2017 at 12:56 AM Post #1,536 of 5,225
I kept the velcro so when I wrap them up I don't have to pull the end thru to knot

Medium and large SD can be had on Amazon Prime I believe. Large are pretty much always too big for me, medium fit occasionally. Ordered ML from a fast Japanese shipper on eBay for less than $20. They fit me best, did the Kombi foam trick and made them even better.

The long cable can be a pro and a con.

Jan 10, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #1,537 of 5,225
  I think he's touching on something.

I have had IEM's, specifically the delta vII, that bring a quick smile to my face and a quick Wow OOTB, but that has an energetic sparkle to it where the A4's are kind of on the opposite side of the spectrum IMO (but they can be energetic, but not to the degree the delta vII's are).  The A4's are more balanced along all the frequencies and have a much smoother texture of detail that provides an ease to the listen that won't be as energetic (especially with the BLACKb/BLACKf), but if it had that energy that brought out the Wow that the Delta vII's did, I wouldn't be able to get that comfy ease, and I couldn't.  

And that's what I appreciate about the A4.  It's a more natural sound signature so you don't get the evocation that you do from more emphasized frequencies, but that's the trade off, and I think it's done very well by the A4.  Nothing's flashy about the songs, but nothing's missing.  I would even say it's a bit of a more mature sound signature, and I think this would benefit a lot from tube sound.  I think any more natural sound signatures would benefit from tube sound to be honest, but to make my point, that ease that the A4 provides, which isn't from thinness or anything anemic, is something that I think would really be emphasized and highlighted.

Plus for me, it's really nice to have this detail, and natural sound signature that avoids brightness so well.   I can't stand brightness.

As a lot of people have put it, I think it's a wonderful compliment to any IEM collection.  I will want an IEM with more midbass or more sparkle, but when I go to those IEM's I lose the ease of emotion that the A4 has.

POST 500 ; P

Exactly, exactly and exactly respectively.

We seem to have similar tastes then, and coming from the Trinity sound, I think you've described the differences pretty well.

I loved the A2 sound immediately upon putting them in my ears but the had slight emphasis on the upper mids which was great for female singers but made the vocals a little too forward at times. These A4s are really a mature version of the A2.

I had used R(b)-B(f) for a bit but found the thumpy sub bass to be a bit too thumpy for those songs. It's amazing that the thump never affected the mids or became boomy however, and the bass just reaches low low low effortlessly. 

So I changed to Bk(b)-Bk(f) [I use Bk for black and Bl for blue] after reading the very informative reviews and it was better, but still lacking *just* that bit in openness. 
Enter the spiral dots. It's almost as if the A4 was designed for them, they tips fit on perfectly and are secure, unlike with some smaller diameter nozzles on which they would slide around.
The SDs really opened up the sound and brought back the extension and the air without compromising the other aspects.

Jan 10, 2017 at 3:52 AM Post #1,538 of 5,225
  My impressions after some listening sessions trying no/back+blue,black/front, red/back+blue,black,green/front, black/back+blue,black,green/front so far.

black/back black/front is my favourate combi out of that.  I like the (natural/relatively dark) voices color and the treble resolution with it most, but I get too much bass with it,

Any recommondations for a pairing where I can keep both - treble resolution and voices color - but reduce bass Fundament a bit?

Black/back + green/front came closer to what I am behind in bass amount but the mids emphasizes is too much for my taste. So back to black black.

Or the other way...Can anyone recommend a silicone tip type which reduces bass by keeping the other frequencies on level?

Thx

JVC Spiral Dots are highly recommended for that.

Jan 10, 2017 at 4:01 AM Post #1,539 of 5,225
I tried to test the Red / F and Black / F again and noticed an improvement in soundstage like Peter123 stated. But, i somehow can't stand the treble on either and i am used to the silky, buttery smooth treble the Green / F give me. I wonder if i'm overly sensitive to treble... 
beyersmile.png

Jan 10, 2017 at 4:43 AM Post #1,540 of 5,225

JVC Spiral Dots are highly recommended for that.

Many thanks. JVC EP-FX9 directly available at Ebay from Japan I see. And 15$ for 3 pairs and I would probably have to invest in size M and ML as I do not know which size I Need. 30$ in total....Are they really that good and worth the money?

Jan 10, 2017 at 6:04 AM Post #1,541 of 5,225
The difference in bass between black and red backs is crazy. Black sounds fine, you can tell the bass is there, but red really makes the bass stand out. Not head-shaking but enough to feel it through your body. Such a great sound.

Black's on the front, by the way.

Jan 10, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #1,544 of 5,225
I haven't seen any QC issues posted yet but unfortunately, my right earpiece came faulty. Not the drivers or connection but the thread of the front filter. I saw when I opened the box that one of the filters (blue) is not attached and was beside the earpiece. The other was fine.
Tried to screw it back but I couldn't. I thought the blue filter has some issues so I tried to put the red on - with luck. After a week I decided to try the green filters and then I realized the front thread on the earpiece is faulty and it can't receive any filter anymore.
In general, I find the thread on the filters and on the nozzles as well very short and doesn't feel like a secure connection. Since they're made of aluminum (soft material) I suspect they'll wear out very fast if frequently swapped - even switching tips could cause problems. So be careful. 
For future models, it would be welcome to use at least longer (more stable) threads and/or steel material.
It's a pity to have this problem with by best sounding IEM and hope it's only an exception.
Penon is very helpful in solving this problem.

Jan 10, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #1,545 of 5,225
I haven't seen any QC issues posted yet but unfortunately, my right earpiece came faulty. Not the drivers or connection but the thread of the front filter. I saw when I opened the box that one of the filters (blue) is not attached and was beside the earpiece. The other was fine.
Tried to screw it back but I couldn't. I thought the blue filter has some issues so I tried to put the red on - with luck. After a week I decided to try the green filters and then I realized the front thread on the earpiece is faulty and it can't receive any filter anymore.
In general, I find the thread on the filters and on the nozzles as well very short and doesn't feel like a secure connection. Since they're made of aluminum (soft material) I suspect they'll wear out very fast if frequently swapped - even switching tips could cause problems. So be careful. 
For future models, it would be welcome to use at least longer (more stable) threads and/or steel material.
It's a pity to have this problem with by best sounding IEM and hope it's only an exception.
Penon is very helpful in solving this problem.

Could be an isolated issue. I've been swapping filters often and detected no issue whatsoever with the A4. Happy that Penon Audio is helping you out. Hats off to them! I'm not surprised they are that devoted...makes me extra confident as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back