LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 14, 2018 at 11:02 PM Post #5,148 of 5,225
I've seen the Oriolus V2 for 500$ during black Friday. So Yeah. Hopefully others might find this deal again in the sometime future.

Dec 15, 2018 at 6:18 AM Post #5,149 of 5,225
I just picked up some Heir Audio 8.0 for 400 euro on Headfi and they are a definite step up in all ways. Comfort, isolation, detail, sound signature and soundstage. Deeply impressed with them. This after I tried the FLC8S, which I liked, but didn’t think was enough of an upgrade from the lz a4. However.... I wouldn’t say I was necessarily “wowed” even by the Heirs, they are incrementally rather than dramatically better. Which says a huge amount for the lz a4 as an iem, that it can even compete with a totl.

Dec 15, 2018 at 6:34 AM Post #5,150 of 5,225
I just picked up some Heir Audio 8.0 for 400 euro on Headfi and they are a definite step up in all ways. Comfort, isolation, detail, sound signature and soundstage. Deeply impressed with them. This after I tried the FLC8S, which I liked, but didn’t think was enough of an upgrade from the lz a4. However.... I wouldn’t say I was necessarily “wowed” even by the Heirs, they are incrementally rather than dramatically better. Which says a huge amount for the lz a4 as an iem, that it can even compete with a totl.

I agree. It's been already said, but A4s with a good source, proper filters and (in my case) a touch of eq, have an impressive all-rounder SQ.

Dec 15, 2018 at 7:08 AM Post #5,151 of 5,225
I remember the flc8s being impressive, liquid mids and all, but felt that it lacked that excitement for me. The it03 was ok, I personally didn't like the hollow mids. Listened to the fh5, it felt too "forced" with the forward mids. I had preferred forward smooth mids, like the lz-a4. If anything I got to enjoy the smooth mids of earsonics es-2 but felt they aren't really competitive in terms of price/value. Bah. Just went to entry level totl and didn't feel like I wanted to waste any more time with whatever's out.

Pardon the mind fart -- lz-a4s are definitely my favorite daily beaters.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2018 at 7:31 AM Post #5,152 of 5,225
Just ordered a pair of NCM NC5v2 looking for SQ improvement, because after buying quite some 100-200$ iems, the most that suits my tastes (and minimums soundwise), are still A4s. Some of them are equal or maybe better in some aspect, but all of them lose in the final sum.

Dec 18, 2018 at 6:04 AM Post #5,153 of 5,225
LZ A6. Graph looks similar enough to LZ A4. 9 filter combos. With more BA drivers. And 1 ceramic driver for highs. Worth to take a look. Price 310 dollars. Screenshot_20181218-120107_Gallery.jpg

Dec 21, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #5,154 of 5,225
Listen.png
Now listening Roberta Flack's Killing me softly with his song on Tidal, Master (mqa) and beloved A4s. Impossible not to smile.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #5,155 of 5,225
Hey all — question for you fellow A4 owners, but considering that these IEM’s have an open back filter, they allow ambient noise in from the environment. Even with perfect seal in the tips they still allow external noise.

My question is for anyone who has heard these and could compare them to Audeze iSine’s. Those are also Open. I’m trying to gauge whether I could pull the trigger on iSine’s but I hear a lot about how they don’t isolate at all. If they’re comparable to the lack of isolation to the A4’s then I’d be fine. I use the A4’s every day when commuting.

Thank you!

Mar 18, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #5,157 of 5,225
Due to the "driver going quiet after listening for a while" issue that I've been having with my LZ A4, I posted a WTB for the LZ A4 in the "Wanted / For Sale" section of the Forums.
I received a PM, recommending that I check and verify whether the filter material in the Nozzle had become damp, which was causing the quiet driver.
So, I listened to the A4 (Red Backs, Red Nozzles) yesterday, watching Classic Doctor Who (#3, Jon Pertwee) for a few hours.
When the Right earphone went quiet, I swapped Nozzles, and the Left earphone was quiet.
Using the Green (Narrow Bore) or Blue (Wide Bore) Nozzles, which don't have filter material in them, means that they aren't susceptible to this issue.
But they do have more high frequency energy than the Nozzles I prefer to use.
Instead of a set of the LZ A4 earphones, I may only need another set of the Nozzles (to have a dry set to swap in, when the filter material gets damp). :ksc75smile:

Mar 18, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #5,158 of 5,225
Due to the "driver going quiet after listening for a while" issue that I've been having with my LZ A4, I posted a WTB for the LZ A4 in the "Wanted / For Sale" section of the Forums.
I received a PM, recommending that I check and verify whether the filter material in the Nozzle had become damp, which was causing the quiet driver.
So, I listened to the A4 (Red Backs, Red Nozzles) yesterday, watching Classic Doctor Who (#3, Jon Pertwee) for a few hours.
When the Right earphone went quiet, I swapped Nozzles, and the Left earphone was quiet.
Using the Green (Narrow Bore) or Blue (Wide Bore) Nozzles, which don't have filter material in them, means that they aren't susceptible to this issue.
But they do have more high frequency energy than the Nozzles I prefer to use.
Instead of a set of the LZ A4 earphones, I may only need another set of the Nozzles (to have a dry set to swap in, when the filter material gets damp). :ksc75smile:

Same thing with LZ A6. Black filter never goes quiet, but red/pink//purple (bass filters) get quiet super easily, because they have a lot more material in them. Design flaw in my oppinion. It's a shame since A6 is really a high-end IEM

Mar 18, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #5,159 of 5,225
Same thing with LZ A6. Black filter never goes quiet, but red/pink//purple (bass filters) get quiet super easily, because they have a lot more material in them. Design flaw in my oppinion. It's a shame since A6 is really a high-end IEM

It's not good to hear that about the LZ A6 - since I was considering ordering a set sometime this year.
I wonder whether anyone has experimented with alternate Nozzle filter materials, that might be less susceptible to dampness/moisture?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back