LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Feb 22, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #2,836 of 5,225
My preferred combo has been Black/Black

My setup- spiral dot ML and L tips. The A4 is hooked up to my E17K(gain/bass/treble on 0).

I decided to give Black/b and Blue/f a trial again. I listened to this combo for just a short time when I first got them.

The Blue front does seem to open up the soundstage a fair amount. However, I'm treble sensitive and the higher end is definitely brighter than the black front. Listening to the Black/Blue, I am enjoying the open and wider soundstage but I almost feel overwhelmed. Not sure if I just need to let my ears adapt some.

I have to say I wish the soundstage with black/blue could be transferred to black/black with the tamer high frequencies but I guess the more open higher frequencies is what helps the soundstage open up becoming more spacious and engulfing.

I will try and see if I can tolerate Black/Blue for a bit to see if my brain just needs some time to adjust since the soundstage is addicting.

Just cut the upper end with EQ. A cut does less modification to the overall sound than a boost.

Feb 22, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #2,837 of 5,225
Just cut the upper end with EQ. A cut does less modification to the overall sound than a boost.
I agree. Sensitivity is often limited to a few frequencies which can be reduced with a proper EQ. Unfortunately, for some people (me), EQ is not possible with their setup :/ maybe try adding some self made dampening into the blue filters?

Feb 22, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #2,838 of 5,225

My setup- spiral dot ML and L tips. The A4 is hooked up to my E17K(gain/bass/treble on 0).

I decided to give Black/b and Blue/f a trial again. I listened to this combo for just a short time when I first got them.

The Blue front does seem to open up the soundstage a fair amount. However, I'm treble sensitive and the higher end is definitely brighter than the black front. Listening to the Black/Blue, I am enjoying the open and wider soundstage but I almost feel overwhelmed. Not sure if I just need to let my ears adapt some.

I have to say I wish the soundstage with black/blue could be transferred to black/black with the tamer high frequencies but I guess the more open higher frequencies is what helps the soundstage open up becoming more spacious and engulfing.

I will try and see if I can tolerate Black/Blue for a bit to see if my brain just needs some time to adjust since the soundstage is addicting.

maybe a wide bore comply type could alleviate the fatigue? or go Menuki style, going commando/no vent.

maybe you can eq the higher frequencies just to tone it down a bit, if that helps :S

edit: some vets beat me to it :wink:

Feb 22, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #2,839 of 5,225
Thank You all so much for the great advice. This thread is awesome for help.

Bhazard- I am tinkering as you suggested with EQ. The E17K allows you to reduce treble but no individual frequency ranges(I guess I could use the spotify and iPhone software EQ too). This helps some. Thank you.

Asspirin- if I am going to try and dampen the Blue filter, I will just switch back to the black front. I would end of just over dampen if I could even do it given my 52 year old eyes and hands. LOL

1TrickPony- I may try a foam tip but i find that usually tames the higher frequencies too much and I lose the improved soundstage. By the way is the included foam tips with the A4 considered a wide bore in your opinion

Feb 22, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #2,840 of 5,225
Anyone used or using a Modi Multibit in their audio chain with A4 ?

My target this year is to get multibit DAC gear into my at-home set-up and maybe a tube pre-amp or amp to go with A4 and the coming Mr Speakers Aeon Planar headphone. Hardware Heaven.

Reading of sibilance in recent posts, my first thought is always Sabre DAC gear or just poorly implemented delta-sigma DACs in general....pointing blame at nozzle, when the issue is usually up-stream.

Feb 22, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #2,841 of 5,225

My target this year is to get multibit DAC gear into my at-home set-up and maybe a tube pre-amp or amp to go with A4 and the coming Mr Speakers Aeon Planar headphone. Hardware Heaven.

Reading of sibilance in recent posts, my first thought is always Sabre DAC gear or just poorly implemented delta-sigma DACs in general....pointing blame at nozzle, when the issue is usually up-stream.

Hey Buddy,

I used mine with an MHDT R2R tube DAC and a tube Project Ember amp and it was heavenly. I have never heard any sibilance with the A4 with any of my rigs, but CERTAINLY not with the tube/multibit setup.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the setup you mentioned.

-Collin-

Feb 23, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #2,842 of 5,225

had this for two months, only Red/Red over emphasized the sizzles of sssss and tzzzz in my experience. this is a setup that I've never used previously. Red Nozzle/Black Vent alleviated that setback. From overall experience, I love the Grey, Green, Red, and Black nozzles so yeah, I'm definitely getting my money's worth and beyond. Now curious on cable upgrade or going balanced...or buying a tube amp to pair with...choices oh choices!

Feb 23, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #2,843 of 5,225
had this for two months, only Red/Red over emphasized the sizzles of sssss and tzzzz in my experience. this is a setup that I've never used previously. Red Nozzle/Black Vent alleviated that setback. From overall experience, I love the Grey, Green, Red, and Black nozzles so yeah, I'm definitely getting my money's worth and beyond. Now curious on cable upgrade or going balanced...or buying a tube amp to pair with...choices oh choices!

I'll be trying grey nozzle (for these magical mids from recent user impressions) + no/red/black backs (bass extension/sound-stage/tightness Goldilocks dial on that), new tips coming (wide bore) with solid core silver cable single-end.... my balanced output and LZ stuff just don't pair well.

Feb 23, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #2,844 of 5,225

​I have the Modi Multibit and I don't get any sibilance from the A4 to my ears ...

Feb 23, 2017 at 1:29 AM Post #2,845 of 5,225
Maybe it's my Opus but Gray nozzles still give me a wide stage, out to my shoulders. My 4 core balanced from AE should be here in a week or two

Feb 23, 2017 at 6:13 AM Post #2,846 of 5,225
Maybe it's my Opus but Gray nozzles still give me a wide stage, out to my shoulders. My 4 core balanced from AE should be here in a week or two

WUT?!?? I do get extended width even with black ones (to the point where I ask myself why I bought Zen earbuds). The imaging does reach beyond my ears...

maybe I have wider shoulders than you???

Feb 23, 2017 at 6:26 AM Post #2,847 of 5,225
Finally my A4 arrive... really impressed with the sound.. using black/black combo right now... can't wait to try all the combination..
just a minor discomfort on the earbuds.. but its all worthed...
thank you for @SeeSax for recommending this baby... 

Feb 23, 2017 at 6:36 AM Post #2,848 of 5,225

Hi there....just got LZ A4 and havent tried those yet...
Would you suggest black/back  blue/front for the most open sound in soundstage terms more than any other filter combo there?
and please how would you describe the mid frequency/vocals performance in that combo ?
i mean does the vocals come more alive with black/blue or is it better with black/black combo there?
thanks a lot in advance....Alexandros

Feb 23, 2017 at 6:46 AM Post #2,849 of 5,225
Hi there....just got LZ A4 and havent tried those yet...
Would you suggest black/back  blue/front for the most open sound in soundstage terms more than any other filter combo there?
and please how would you describe the mid frequency/vocals performance in that combo ?
i mean does the vocals come more alive with black/blue or is it better with black/black combo there?
thanks a lot in advance....Alexandros

Red/b and Blue/f provide deepest low end with most high end extension. There is a large soundstage. However for me there is a little too much bass and the high-end is too bright and fatiguing.

To my ears the most comfortable and overall best combination is black/b and black/f. The low-end is nicely represented with good sub bass. The upper frequencies are very smooth and detailed. The Soundstage is nice

Red/b and black/f is appreciated by many. There is a little too much low-end for me. Overall it's very smooth as well good higher end detail

If you let us know what type of sound signature you prefer, I can promise you the members that visit this thread will be very helpful in guiding you. They are to be commended for how they treat new people who have received the A4 and have questions

Feb 23, 2017 at 6:58 AM Post #2,850 of 5,225
Red/b and Blue/f provide deepest low end with most high end extension. There is a large soundstage. However for me there is a little too much bass and the high-end is too bright and fatiguing.

To my ears the most comfortable and overall best combination is black/b and black/f. The low-end is nicely represented with good sub bass. The upper frequencies are very smooth and detailed. The Soundstage is nice

Red/b and black/f is appreciated by many. There is a little too much low-end for me. Overall it's very smooth as well good higher end detail

If you let us know what type of sound signature you prefer, I can promise you the members that visit this thread will be very helpful in guiding you. They are to be commended for how they treat new people who have received the A4 and have questions     
thanks a lot for the info there...i ve been familiar with dunudn2000 or fidue A73 sound signature and like a lot the slightly up fronted mids and the clarity on the midrange frequency on that models

Users who are viewing this thread

Back