LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Feb 14, 2017 at 3:36 AM Post #2,611 of 5,225
  Hey there, i am planning to open today the LZ A4 parcell that arrived yesterday from Penon, and willing to drive those with X3ii and E12A.Which filters back/front would you recommend?

Hm it's more based on what sort of sound you like, than whether it's a match for the DAP. The sound will only be differently nuanced coming out of the different sources.

The filters will affect the sound in a much bigger way. 
X3ii and E12A is a good combination. Mine was pretty close, X3ii to E12DIY. 
beerchug.gif

The LO is really quite clean, although lately I've been running it Coax out into the Xduoo XD-05. 

Feb 14, 2017 at 4:16 AM Post #2,612 of 5,225

Hm it's more based on what sort of sound you like, than whether it's a match for the DAP. The sound will only be differently nuanced coming out of the different sources.

The filters will affect the sound in a much bigger way. 
X3ii and E12A is a good combination. Mine was pretty close, X3ii to E12DIY. 
beerchug.gif

The LO is really quite clean, although lately I've been running it Coax out into the Xduoo XD-05. 

You mean in order to make use of the AKM4490 Dac chip?Are you using the L21 cable with that?

Feb 14, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #2,615 of 5,225
Anyone using the A4 with dragonfly black?

I try to decide between dragonfly black,FiiO Q1 or e17K?

One thing I like is low volume listening (at night when it's real quiet)with as good as clarity as possible given the low volume limitation.
Sometimes the sounds steps from no volume to 1,2,3 ... etc are a "big" jump when the ambient noise is very quiet.

Feb 14, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #2,617 of 5,225

One thing I like is low volume listening (at night when it's real quiet)with as good as clarity as possible given the low volume limitation.
Sometimes the sounds steps from no volume to 1,2,3 ... etc are a "big" jump when the ambient noise is very quiet.

I have just the Q1 so cant comment on the others.. the volume knob on the Q1 is analog, so theres no steps as such, and you can fine tune..

I think the e17k also has an analog volume, and can output greater power

For real quiet listening i have a shanling m1 which has 100 steps, and is quite good..

Feb 14, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #2,618 of 5,225
I have just the Q1 so cant comment on the others.. the volume knob on the Q1 is analog, so theres no steps as such, and you can fine tune..

I think the e17k also has an analog volume, and can output greater power

For real quiet listening i have a shanling m1 which has 100 steps, and is quite good..

Wow. Thank you very much that is extremely helpful

Feb 14, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #2,620 of 5,225
You mean in order to make use of the AKM4490 Dac chip?Are you using the L21 cable with that?

Yes indeed, so that I can have different options with the same kit.

I didn't use the L21, rather, a diy 3.5mm 4 pole to 3.5mm 2 pole cable. Connection is essentially identical to the L21 however.
Got it from Taobao after searching for coaxial cables from fiio X3ii to Mojo.

Feb 14, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #2,621 of 5,225

I tested out the FiiO E17k, though unfortunately not with the LZ A4, but compared to my FiiO x3ii (which is a DAC as well as a DAP), it didn't have as good a soundstage, which is why I returned the E17k and just stuck with the FiiO X3ii.

But I mainly returned the E17k because it was very comparable in sound overall with the x3ii and there was no sense in having such similar sound and sound quality in two different devices..., and I liked how the E17k could adjust the sound signature so well.  The EQ on the FiiO x3ii isn't close to as tunable as what the E17k is capable of.  

But the X3ii had a more natural and open sound, while the E17K had a more upfront presentation of everything going on with a little added liveliness that was less neutral than the X3ii.  

I know @Brooko is a big fan of the E17K and he reviewed it very well.  It is a really good deal for the money and I have to agree with him on his judgement.  I would check out his review, cuz it compares the E17k with the Q1 I believe.

Feb 14, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #2,622 of 5,225

I tested out the FiiO E17k, though unfortunately not with the LZ A4, but compared to my FiiO x3ii (which is a DAC as well as a DAP), it didn't have as good a soundstage, which is why I returned the E17k and just stuck with the FiiO X3ii.

But I mainly returned the E17k because it was very comparable in sound overall with the x3ii and there was no sense in having such similar sound and sound quality in two different devices..., and I liked how the E17k could adjust the sound signature so well.  The EQ on the FiiO x3ii isn't close to as tunable as what the E17k is capable of.  

But the X3ii had a more natural and open sound, while the E17K had a more upfront presentation of everything going on with a little added liveliness that was less neutral than the X3ii.  

I know @Brooko is a big fan of the E17K and he reviewed it very well.  It is a really good deal for the money and I have to agree with him on his judgement.  I would check out his review, cuz it compares the E17k with the Q1 I believe.

I looked a Brooko's review.  He does seem to really like the E17K as well as the Q1.  Based on his review the E17K offers more extras but the sound quality differences don't look to be too big between the Q1 and E17K(I think they use the same DAC, I doubt I would ever use the extras).  The Q1 has better battery life which is a plus.  I am just looking to allow a little more clarity, detail and open soundstage at the lower volumes, hoping one of these might help.

I know how much you love the tube amps.  I know the Martin HVA is a really nice.  I am in no rush and know they are working on an updated version that is even more smartphone friendly but there is no info around about it.

Feb 14, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #2,624 of 5,225

I looked a Brooko's review.  He does seem to really like the E17K as well as the Q1.  Based on his review the E17K offers more extras but the sound quality differences don't look to be too big between the Q1 and E17K(I think they use the same DAC, I doubt I would ever use the extras).  The Q1 has better battery life which is a plus.  I am just looking to allow a little more clarity, detail and open soundstage at the lower volumes, hoping one of these might help.

I know how much you love the tube amps.  I know the Martin HVA is a really nice.  I am in no rush and know they are working on an updated version that is even more smartphone friendly but there is no info around about it.

True, true...  But IMO, those added features, especially for bass and treble adjustment, are significant.

You could listen to otherwise bright sounding IEM's with much improvement on that guy.

But I do hear ya...  If the Q1's sound suits you well, and you don't need the treble or bass adjustment, then the Q1 is the best deal and is a great deal if it does have the same sound as the E17K.  It would be a steal and a very comfortable improvement on the sound IMO.

After hearing the E17k and seeing that it could match in satisfaction with the X3ii, and I was sad to return the E17K, it did give me a lot of respect for the Q1....  I noticed one review say that Bass was too big on the Q1, but I'm sure someone who has it can clarify that...  I don't recall @Brooko mentioning anything about that TBH, and he recommended it to me as well.

Feb 14, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #2,625 of 5,225
Before my pair got stolen I was using the black filters + comply tips, they didn't go in as nicely as my CA Novas but they still sounded good with a fun amount of bass. My only issue was that on some edm tracks the vocals were recessed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back