LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 19, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #1,936 of 5,225
 You could check out the Shanling M1 and Hidiz AP60, if you can get the M1 for your budget (which I think is possible) I'd recommend it over the AP60.

Peter, does the M1 support gapless? Looks exactly like what I want, but I need the gapless.

I can answer this question - Yes.

97cfc2bfd6268092fc344b50e16d540d.jpg

Take Care,
David Baldock

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Jan 19, 2017 at 6:55 PM Post #1,937 of 5,225
  I owned the XBA-A3 and now the XBA-Z5. Bass on the Sony A3 (this is gonna get confusing with LZ naming scheme 
tongue_smile.gif
) to me was superior to the A4 in quantity, but not necessarily quality. A3 for me was borderline a basshead IEM with severely rolled off treble, but crazy sub-bass extension. I would choose the A4 over the Sony A3 for anyone but a basshead. Also, fit is SO much better on the A4 and they are loads more comfortable to me. Sony A3 also has zero isolation so it is restricted to bedroom use. 

That said, I quite like the dark, bassy nature of the Sony A3 hence why I bought the Z5 (which is a tad more neutral). Very different IEMs, but for me the A4 is still the winner in versatility and day-to-day use. 

-Collin-

Thank you for your help... how about comparing it to shure 315? 
I'm kinda in a middle between those 2.
I really like the fit of shure IEM

Jan 19, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #1,939 of 5,225
Jan 19, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #1,940 of 5,225
I saw some people said they want some more back filter options so that they can get the bass they like.
I can definitely talk to LZ, but I can't promise anything.
Any concrete suggestions on what exactly the amount of bass needed?
I'm also not very sure whether the back filters' effect can be isolated from the front nozzles.

Jan 19, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #1,941 of 5,225
  I saw some people said they want some more back filter options so that they can get the bass they like.
I'm also not very sure whether the back filters' effect can be isolated from the front nozzles.

Some were asking for a back filter between RED and BLACK.

Jan 19, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #1,942 of 5,225

The black is nice because it really let's the mids shine. The red is fun but I believe the A4 dd can even exhibit more playfulness while maintaining more control. I love the fact that for the mids and highs, there are more than enough choices. The Bass then can easily can add a next level value if we can have a bit more rumble than the black bass filter - I felt it was a bit too demure, even if it is really capable of excellent control.

Please? Lol

Jan 19, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #1,943 of 5,225
I haven't owned a lot of higher priced IEMs, but I'm just amazed at how versatile these A4 are.  Not just with the filters but just in terms of how good they perform with ALL types of music, how well they respond to EQ and bass boost and how easy they are to wear and carry around.  Insane value for a daily driver IEM here.  

Jan 19, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #1,944 of 5,225

I have no idea if it's possible but a rear filter that is like NO rear filter but provides a little tighter bass and has that more open spatial 3D soundstage.

Jan 19, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #1,945 of 5,225

MORE options? I thought we had too many already 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 19, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #1,946 of 5,225
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah I think we have just the right number of options now. I find the black and red rear filters give me enough variance. Black for rock and red for electronic, hip-hop etc. I wonder if those who want the soundstage of the blacks with a bit more bass have tried bass boost or a little EQ. I've actually gone back to the black backs because they work pretty well with every genre and still have enough weight and slam for me.

Jan 19, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #1,947 of 5,225
smily_headphones1.gif

True. My source fits well with the Black(b)/Red(f), and I'm not very demanding on the quantity and quality of bass.
But it looks like the real back filters options are limited to Red and Black. 
For those who're bass-sensitive, they may need more options. This is understandable.
I don't know the cost of making back filters. I'll talk with LZ.

update: It's now the long lunar new year break in China. Most people went back to their hometowns, including LZ. LZ said he will get back to us after the break. (Probably mid Feb, I guess) 

I guess making a new passthrough back filter like no-back is quite possible.

Jan 20, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #1,948 of 5,225
I woudn't mind an in betweener to the REDb and BLACKb.  

I do just about all my listening with the BLACKb and the bass of the EQ turned all the way up.

Jan 20, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #1,949 of 5,225
  True. My source fits well with the Black(b)/Red(f), and I'm not very demanding on the quantity and quality of bass.
But it looks like the real back filters options are limited to Red and Black. 
For those who're bass-sensitive, they may need more options. This is understandable.
I don't know the cost of making back filters. I'll talk with LZ.

update: It's now the long lunar new year break in China. Most people went back to their hometowns, including LZ. LZ said he will get back to us after the break. (Probably mid Feb, I guess) 

I guess making a new passthrough back filter like no-back is quite possible.

As nealh said, I think the ideal here is something which gives the black filter's level of bass but with a more open/wider soundstage (which we can achieve by removing the back filters altogether, but that results in a lot more bass, like the red filters plus a bit!)

So I suspect we're slightly asking the impossible here, to have the added air of 'no filter' without changing the bass level of the black filter.
Perhaps the answer is to listen to black front, black back - then listen with the back removed and hear the change in soundstage, and see if there's a front/back combination that gives the signature of black/black but with greater width/air.

It's a big ask, I think - and please pass on how DELIGHTED so many of us are with his lovely creation!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back