LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 19, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #1,921 of 5,225
Jan 19, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #1,922 of 5,225
  You could check out the Shanling M1 and Hidiz AP60, if you can get the M1 for your budget (which I think is possible) I'd recommend it over the AP60.

Peter, does the M1 support gapless? Looks exactly like what I want, but I need the gapless.

Jan 19, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #1,923 of 5,225
Just fetched my A4 from the post office. The Westone UM3x have been my personal endgame IEMs for 6 years now.

Pulled the A4 out of the box, slapped the black front filters on and forced some comply isolation tips on them.

Listened to 3 tracks so far:

Rage Against the Machine - Wake Up

Run the Jewels - Legend has it

Metallica - ...And Justice for All

******. The A4 just curb-stomped my favorite IEM.

I know, they are tuned completely differently, but man... Resolution, speed, stage and dynamics are just another level. Damn. Good work, LZ. Will experiment with filters later this evening. Black filters still have too much treble for me
biggrin.gif

I would say the black front are pretty smooth, but coming from Westone you will be used to a really smooth signature. Try the blacks for a while, you might adjust. Westone have a pretty big lower treble/upper mid scoop usually, so something more neutral might initially come off as shouty.

Jan 19, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #1,925 of 5,225
Wow. This thread is great. I make a comment and I get so much helpful info on better sources. I really appreciate, you guys are awesome!!

I really have no idea on a budget. I would think $100-300?? I have not given a lot of thought to changing my source due to convenience with my iPhone 7.

Jan 19, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #1,926 of 5,225
I believe someone in the LZ-A2 thread said it beats the XBA-A2 and even XBA-A3, so if LZ-A4 beats LZ-A2, then can we deduce that LZ-A4 beats XBA-A3?

My source has been the Sony Xperia Z3.  It's been by far the best sounding phone I've ever had.  I was evening thinking about turning it into my music player once I eventually replace it, which should be soon because some apps are really slowing down on this thing..

Jan 19, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #1,927 of 5,225
I owned the XBA-A3 and now the XBA-Z5. Bass on the Sony A3 (this is gonna get confusing with LZ naming scheme 
tongue_smile.gif
) to me was superior to the A4 in quantity, but not necessarily quality. A3 for me was borderline a basshead IEM with severely rolled off treble, but crazy sub-bass extension. I would choose the A4 over the Sony A3 for anyone but a basshead. Also, fit is SO much better on the A4 and they are loads more comfortable to me. Sony A3 also has zero isolation so it is restricted to bedroom use. 

That said, I quite like the dark, bassy nature of the Sony A3 hence why I bought the Z5 (which is a tad more neutral). Very different IEMs, but for me the A4 is still the winner in versatility and day-to-day use. 

-Collin-

Jan 19, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #1,928 of 5,225
  I believe someone in the LZ-A2 thread said it beats the XBA-A2 and even XBA-A3, so if LZ-A4 beats LZ-A2, then can we deduce that LZ-A4 beats XBA-A3?

My source has been the Sony Xperia Z3.  It's been by far the best sounding phone I've ever had.  I was evening thinking about turning it into my music player once I eventually replace it, which should be soon because some apps are really slowing down on this thing..

I absolutely loved my Z3 and each release after it was a step backward in the audio department! For all great things that Sony does, I really wish they built a proper audiophile phone that could rival something like the V20. I would buy it in a heartbeat. 

-Collin-

Jan 19, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #1,929 of 5,225

I absolutely loved my Z3 and each release after it was a step backward in the audio department! For all great things that Sony does, I really wish they built a proper audiophile phone that could rival something like the V20. I would buy it in a heartbeat. 

-Collin-

Wow thanks for letting me know about that.  I was contemplating whether to get another Sony phone.  I kinda got lucky on that one because my work was offering a discount for it.. normally I only buy Google phones.  I guess my venture into Sony phones will be short-lived after all.  The V20 is that the LG? 

Jan 19, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #1,930 of 5,225
  Wow thanks for letting me know about that.  I was contemplating whether to get another Sony phone.  I kinda got lucky on that one because my work was offering a discount for it.. normally I only buy Google phones.  I guess my venture into Sony phones will be short-lived after all.  The V20 is that the LG? 

Yeah the V20 is the "quad DAC" LG phone. It sounds incredible. There's a lengthy thread on it if you're curious. 

As for the Z5 phone, it just uses the normal Qualcomm Snapdragon DAC and really offers nothing as far as enhanced audio features/qualities. It's a shame, since companies like LG and HTC are going out of their way to focus on audio quality - you'd think Sony does. Some may disagree with me, but I thought the Z5 sounded like any other Qualcomm-based audio solution (which are typically lackluster). 

I haven't heard the newer one, the Xperia XZ, but it seems pretty overpriced for what you get. A shame, because again I love Sony phones of the past. 

-Collin-

Jan 19, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #1,931 of 5,225
To anyone hovering...

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/lz-a4-iem

Apologies if this has already been posted, I've not been following the thread closely.

Always a fan of Massdrop, but the price is almost the same as the current price on Penon Audio, and with express delivery they can get stuff out to most places in about a week. Might be worth it to those who don't like the thought of waiting until the end of Feb?

Jan 19, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #1,932 of 5,225
Wow. This thread is great. I make a comment and I get so much helpful info on better sources. I really appreciate, you guys are awesome!!

I really have no idea on a budget. I would think $100-300?? I have not given a lot of thought to changing my source due to convenience with my iPhone 7.

Make sure you talk to @Brooko, too.  He has a plethora of knowledge.

My recommendation is anything tubey ; P.  But the only thing I know that offers portability at that price is the HVA, but the present model sucks the juice out of phones too much, which is what is being fixed in the newer unreleased model.  

But there are definitely other great DAC's out there.

Something that did catch my eye for a high quality, good value, and portability was the OPPO-HA-2.  The reviews are very high.  But I don't know much about it. 

Jan 19, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #1,933 of 5,225
Ok, so sticking with the black front and removing the back filter today I am noticing the sense of air and space around the music has increased. It's a nice sensation. I am not sure if I am hearing looser bass or not, jury is still out on that. Probably I would be nit-picking if I have that tough a time telling. 

Anyone else running backless regularly?

Jan 19, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #1,934 of 5,225

Or spend $400 and get the Opus #1. It's fantastic and pairs very well with the A4

Jan 19, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #1,935 of 5,225
Couldn't hear much of a difference between red filters and bareback. Bass is a tad muddier, but still very textured. Same effect as opening/closing the bass reflex port of speakers.
Tried out different front filters today and liked the grey ones very much. Treble is pretty much the same as with the green ones, but the mids are less "telephoney". Will be sticking with black/black for now though. Normally I'm a treble hater, but the A4 with black filters do it really nicely. Anyone dared to try pink?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back