Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
Jan 14, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #2,986 of 3,356
I'd love to get back to NOS valves. I've "invested" ~$1,000 or so in vintage 6SN7 tubes. Many fine pre-1950 US tubes (as I liked that sound). Everything, one off. I sell the Lyr 3, my collection is worthless (except to other one tube amp owners). I'll continue to roll my collection through my Lyr 3, and enjoy.

My current use valves are Chinese, new manufacture. The PSVane tennis ball, and the PSVane CV-181z. No wondering if they're "good". If they're the NOS "as described" by the seller. I've had a couple of "new old stock" fail. Age can affect soldier joints as well as human joints. New is always good.

New Chinese sound as good or better (mostly better) than old. (I really hate saying that).
~$1,000? Pffft. That number qualifies you for a 1 day visitor pass into the 'Rabbit Hole Club' where the big boys hangout. 😏

Jan 14, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #2,987 of 3,356
:laughing:

Jan 14, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #2,988 of 3,356
I'd love to get back to NOS valves. I've "invested" ~$1,000 or so in vintage 6SN7 tubes. Many fine pre-1950 US tubes (as I liked that sound). Everything, one off. I sell the Lyr 3, my collection is worthless (except to other one tube amp owners). I'll continue to roll my collection through my Lyr 3, and enjoy.

My current use valves are Chinese, new manufacture. The PSVane tennis ball, and the PSVane CV-181z. No wondering if they're "good". If they're the NOS "as described" by the seller. I've had a couple of "new old stock" fail. Age can affect soldier joints as well as human joints. New is always good.

New Chinese sound as good or better (mostly better) than old. (I really hate saying that).

~$1,000? Pffft. That number qualifies you for a 1 day visitor pass into the 'Rabbit Hole Club' where the big boys hangout. 😏
Do I get a token, or better yet a ribbon?

No reproach. I'm an idiot.

Jan 14, 2022 at 8:21 PM Post #2,989 of 3,356
Do I get a token, or better yet a ribbon?

No reproach. I'm an idiot.
At least you didn't spend $1000 on these like @Ripper2860 did. :sweat_smile:

GE Gift.jpg

Jan 14, 2022 at 9:12 PM Post #2,990 of 3,356
Step aside, please!….$1,000 per tube will allow for application to the “Golden Getter Group” ! 😤

Jan 14, 2022 at 9:14 PM Post #2,991 of 3,356
Jan 14, 2022 at 9:24 PM Post #2,992 of 3,356
I use those GE boxes to hide my premium tubes from @bcowen . :wink:

Jan 14, 2022 at 9:25 PM Post #2,993 of 3,356
Step aside, please!….$1,000 per tube will allow for application to the “Golden Getter Group” ! 😤
Also known as the 'Ben Dover Tube Consortium'. :D

Jan 14, 2022 at 9:41 PM Post #2,994 of 3,356
Jan 14, 2022 at 10:45 PM Post #2,995 of 3,356
My plan is working! 😛

Jan 16, 2022 at 2:47 AM Post #2,996 of 3,356
Thatks about right, great tube. I’m contemplating the CV181T mkII, that’s when it gets expensive… (for new production, anyhow.)
One thing about the CV181T MkII: takes forever to break in. Mine didn’t settle down until around 100 hours.

Jan 16, 2022 at 3:28 AM Post #2,997 of 3,356
I tried my travel earphones on the Lyr 3 this week. Turned out to be an exceptionally good pairing. They do well on my portable rig, but the improvement when using the Bifrost2 + Lyr3 points at the best synergy I’ve found yet with the Lyr 3.

The earphones are FIIO FH7s. They’re very good earphones with outstanding performance to price, but the sound signature just begs for some tube love. The Lyr 3 gives them what their little low impedance hearts desire and the result is glorious! Super, super super clear, detailed sound that sounds natural and at the same time better than real. It’s my current favorite pairing.

Jan 16, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #2,998 of 3,356
Got my Psvane UK version installed yesterday. I actually managed to insert it wrong to begin with, it was 1 pin wrong clockwise. I am a idiot, thank goodness it didn't seem to make a connection because all is good and it neve responded when I powered it on. I assume that little "slot" thing would not let it install all the way, I was thinking it was hard to push in...smh Only had it on for about 10 seconds and saw it wasn't coming on so, pulled it and tried again. Been running it for the last 24 hours and it sounds fantastic!

Right out the box it was better - I could hear it in the bass and overall dynamics. Not to mention it doesn't pick up EMI as bad as the JJ tube was, it was super noisy in comparison. Everything about Psvane is better than the JJ, this is my one and only tube roll! I only look for it to improve as it burns in.

Jan 16, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #2,999 of 3,356
Got my Psvane UK version installed yesterday. I actually managed to insert it wrong to begin with, it was 1 pin wrong clockwise. I am a idiot, thank goodness it didn't seem to make a connection because all is good and it neve responded when I powered it on. I assume that little "slot" thing would not let it install all the way, I was thinking it was hard to push in...smh Only had it on for about 10 seconds and saw it wasn't coming on so, pulled it and tried again. Been running it for the last 24 hours and it sounds fantastic!

Right out the box it was better - I could hear it in the bass and overall dynamics. Not to mention it doesn't pick up EMI as bad as the JJ tube was, it was super noisy in comparison. Everything about Psvane is better than the JJ, this is my one and only tube roll! I only look for it to improve as it burns in.
Awesome! But you realize this is a good news/bad news thing, right? The good news is your first roll sounds great. But that's also the bad news, 'cause now it's only your first roll. Condolences to your wallet. 😂😂

Jan 16, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #3,000 of 3,356
Awesome! But you realize this is a good news/bad news thing, right? The good news is your first roll sounds great. But that's also the bad news, 'cause now it's only your first roll. Condolences to your wallet. 😂😂
Wallet : R.I.P. 🪦 [Remain In Payments].

Users who are viewing this thread

Back