Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
Jan 5, 2022 at 8:34 PM Post #2,956 of 3,356
My first order (yes, one of many) of tubes arrived this evening.
20220105_202623.jpg

Jan 5, 2022 at 10:35 PM Post #2,957 of 3,356
My first order (yes, one of many) of tubes arrived this evening.
Good basic tubes.

I have the first 2, never went (old) Russian.

I purchased many tubes for my Lyr 3. Payed more than I should have for (many) 1940's and '50's era "new old stock".

I suggest you don't go down the "new old stock" rabbit hole.

Here's what I use now: https://www.vivatubes.com/new-gain-tested-psvane-6sn7-se-tennis-ball-vacuum-tube/

This after my first Chinese tube try cv181-z (still a very good tube).

I've got well more invested in single tubes than I spent on the amp.

With a good background in electronics, I recently had a stuck tube riser (socket saver) in my Lyr 3.

Unplug the unit, wait 1 hour, and go in with metallic hemostats. Yea, I blew out the board.

I think Schiit took pity on an idiot, and only charged me $200 + postage (I purchased my Lyr 3 2nd hand).

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022 at 5:52 AM Post #2,958 of 3,356
One of the difficulties with NOS is there is no reasonable, repeatable, accurate grading system. And, even if all meaningful measurements of a tube are made available they won't mean much to most people and unless you have a tube tester and the knowledge to go with it (and I don't) they probably won't help and can't be verified by you. So, it boils down to having a confidence factor in the supplier(s) you deal with. I have several of the Tung-Sols above and I like them. I have one each of the other two but its been some time since I've used them so no comments. I have a number of NOS and NM(anufactured)S of many different types, some I like, some I don't. But that's all a part of the "tube experience". And as always, trust your ears to tell you what you like or prefer, or don't.

Jan 6, 2022 at 6:30 AM Post #2,959 of 3,356
Good basic tubes.

I purchased many tubes for my Lyr 3. Payed more than I should have for (many) 1940's and '50's era "new old stock".

Here's what I use now: https://www.vivatubes.com/new-gain-tested-psvane-6sn7-se-tennis-ball-vacuum-tube/

With a good background in electronics, I recently had a stuck tube riser (socket saver) in my Lyr 3.

Unplug the unit, wait 1 hour, and go in with metallic hemostats. Yea, I blew out the board.

I think Schiit took pity on an idiot, and only charged me $200 + postage (I purchased my Lyr 3 2nd hand).

Thank you for the tube suggestions and the guidance!

I have four more tubes, all older (from the 1940s, 1950s, 1960s) on the way. They are a mix of NOS and used.

I'll do my best not to fall down the rabbit hole while experimenting. Just have to remind myself it is about enjoying the journey and being fiscally responsible (as much as possible) along the way.

Jan 6, 2022 at 6:40 AM Post #2,960 of 3,356
One of the difficulties with NOS is there is no reasonable, repeatable, accurate grading system. And, even if all meaningful measurements of a tube are made available they won't mean much to most people and unless you have a tube tester and the knowledge to go with it (and I don't) they probably won't help and can't be verified by you. So, it boils down to having a confidence factor in the supplier(s) you deal with. I have several of the Tung-Sols above and I like them. I have one each of the other two but its been some time since I've used them so no comments. I have a number of NOS and NM(anufactured)S of many different types, some I like, some I don't. But that's all a part of the "tube experience". And as always, trust your ears to tell you what you like or prefer, or don't.

Thank you for the feedback!

Excellent point about the varying grading systems. I've noticed that among tube sellers and I have done as you have suggested and purchased my NOS/NM tubes from those with reputable feedback and solid references.

And yes, I always let my ears be the final judge over measurements and subjective/opinions across the hobby. Looking forward to the next leg of the journey. 🎧

Jan 7, 2022 at 7:20 PM Post #2,961 of 3,356
Thank you for the tube suggestions and the guidance!

I have four more tubes, all older (from the 1940s, 1950s, 1960s) on the way. They are a mix of NOS and used.

I'll do my best not to fall down the rabbit hole while experimenting. Just have to remind myself it is about enjoying the journey and being fiscally responsible (as much as possible) along the way.
The term "rabbit hole" is a misnomer when it comes to tubes. It's actually a black hole, and once you get near the event horizon you will be sucked in with no chance of escape. 🤣

Seriously, tube rolling is lots of fun. It's only as expensive as you want it to be, and there are lots of tubes that are (relatively) inexpensive that sound great and can get your toe tapping. I have some very expensive tubes I like a lot, but also some that I paid $5 for that I like a lot too. 😀

Jan 9, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #2,962 of 3,356
Good basic tubes.

I’ve also found the PSVANE tubes work very well in the Lyr3 and is what I settled on. One nice bonus is they last a long time. That said, they’re not exactly cheap.

Jan 9, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #2,963 of 3,356
I’ve also found the PSVANE tubes work very well in the Lyr3 and is what I settled on. One nice bonus is they last a long time. That said, they’re not exactly cheap.
Agreed - Psvane tubes sound great in the Lyr 3. I especially like the tennis ball version, which also looks very cool.

Jan 9, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #2,964 of 3,356
Agreed - Psvane tubes sound great in the Lyr 3. I especially like the tennis ball version, which also looks very cool.
I have their 6SN7-UK and the -SE (aka ‘tennis ball’) and I cannot tell the difference between them, and really like them both. I have yet to try the next level in Psvane expense, the CV181T Mk II. Anyone think it’s worth the coin?

Jan 9, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #2,965 of 3,356
I have their 6SN7-UK and the -SE (aka ‘tennis ball’) and I cannot tell the difference between them, and really like them both. I have yet to try the next level in Psvane expense, the CV181T Mk II. Anyone think it’s worth the coin?
I have all three versions and for the Lyr 3 I prefer the tennis ball version. For the Saga preamp that I use in my speaker system I prefer the CV181 version with grey glass. It doesn't look as cool, but it sounds better to my ears.

Jan 9, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #2,966 of 3,356
How many simple pleasures are available for ~$60? I'm pretty shure Lou Lou has retired.

Jan 9, 2022 at 10:32 PM Post #2,967 of 3,356
I have all three versions and for the Lyr 3 I prefer the tennis ball version. For the Saga preamp that I use in my speaker system I prefer the CV181 version with grey glass. It doesn't look as cool, but it sounds better to my ears.
Fair, ty. I have the -UK in my Saga at the moment.

Jan 10, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #2,968 of 3,356
I also use the tennis ball (as my daily driver - in the Lyr 98% of the time) - can attest to the cool looks 😏

IMG_2918.JPG
tempImageLQPzhJ.jpg
tempImagebh4LL9.jpg

Jan 10, 2022 at 10:35 PM Post #2,969 of 3,356
I also use the tennis ball (as my daily driver - in the Lyr 98% of the time) - can attest to the cool looks 😏

IMG_2918.JPG tempImageLQPzhJ.jpg tempImagebh4LL9.jpg
Definitely looks better than the grey glass I’m running.

Jan 10, 2022 at 10:43 PM Post #2,970 of 3,356
Definitely looks better than the grey glass I’m running.
Whose is that? Doggone Psvane is no fun with the inner glass silvered…

Edit: but it sounds brilliant…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back