Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
Nov 25, 2021 at 11:40 PM Post #2,926 of 3,356
It is Bangybang’s favourite colour, too.
I have Cowen the source on the cotton mesh but they can run out of the popular colors, green always seems to be available.😜

Nov 26, 2021 at 12:00 AM Post #2,927 of 3,356
I have Cowen the source on the cotton mesh but they can run out of the popular colors, green always seems to be available.😜
I notified the vendor I was calling dibs on green, so they can't sell it to anyone else. :stuck_out_tongue:

Nov 26, 2021 at 12:25 AM Post #2,928 of 3,356
The tube amp on top is an Incubus OTL headphone amp I designed. That is a Mjolnir headphone amp on top of the meters. They may have stopped selling those. The VU meter boxes are pretty simple to build but you best know the signal levels you want to measure. Mine are set up so I can switch between devices and all run well off of Schiit DACs with adjustment.

The OG Mjolnir was replaced by the Mjolnir 2 (the model you appear to have, same as me) and they just stopped selling it about 6 months ago or so.

Nov 26, 2021 at 6:48 AM Post #2,929 of 3,356
I build all my own cables and the mesh is cotton based. I build VU meter boxes BE767CE9-3D00-4631-BBA6-6A515EC0775D.jpeg6B7091FB-97C1-4AB4-B806-113FAF140BE2.jpegand often incorporate them in amps I designed. I can monitor signals throughout all my gear, I especially like them for measuring gain in a tube or tubes.
Looks like Finnegan is keeping an eye on those tubes for you, so you can roll over and go back to sleep.

Nov 26, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #2,930 of 3,356
The OG Mjolnir was replaced by the Mjolnir 2 (the model you appear to have, same as me) and they just stopped selling it about 6 months ago or so.
It is indeed the Mjolnir 2. I have owned most all tube gear Schiit made other than the Saga, since I have a Freya +. I was also the first person outside of Schiit to get a Coaster amp going, another hybrid tube amp. coaster amp.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2021 at 12:42 AM Post #2,931 of 3,356
First of all, I apologize if this is covered in these 196 pages, but I couldn't find it, if so. I have the Lyr 3 with the non-multi bit DAC and am thinking about upgrading to the multibit version but have two questions. First, is it very difficult to do (I'm okay with electrical stuff and have built my own desktop)? Second, do you think there is much audible difference between the two DACs? Thanks.

Dec 6, 2021 at 1:50 AM Post #2,932 of 3,356
First of all, I apologize if this is covered in these 196 pages, but I couldn't find it, if so. I have the Lyr 3 with the non-multi bit DAC and am thinking about upgrading to the multibit version but have two questions. First, is it very difficult to do (I'm okay with electrical stuff and have built my own desktop)? Second, do you think there is much audible difference between the two DACs? Thanks.
I have not compared the two, only external vs. internal. Unless you don’t have the room, I recommend an external DAC, one of the Modis, Modius, Bifrost. Not only do you get the extra inputs, but I think they sound better, every one of them. I was not at all fond of either of the internals.

My opinion only. YMMV. Lots of people like or need the one box solution. I am very interested in the forthcoming opinions on the two internals, though.

Dec 6, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #2,933 of 3,356
As you have experience putting your own computer together I don’t think you will find changing the DAC card difficult. Perhaps a little more fiddly as there is less room in the amp than the average PC.

One thing to note is that the multibit card requires an extra stand-off because of its size and orientation (I haven’t ordered a DAC card myself, only moved between units, but I expect the stand-off should be included when ordering the card for self-install).

Dec 7, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #2,935 of 3,356
Anyone know how long a backorder can last? Ordered the Lyr 3 on August 24th and still waiting on it :frowning2:

Seriously?

Wow

Dec 18, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #2,939 of 3,356
Just ordered mine, black, as their web site states it ships in 1-3 days... Curious to see how long it will be before they ship and then how long it will take to get to Canada with Fedex priority... hope to get it for the holidays as this is a xmas present from me to myself :wink: If this works well I'll be seriously contemplating a Bifrost 2 to pair with it.

Any recommendations on burn-in time?

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #2,940 of 3,356
Just ordered mine, black, as their web site states it ships in 1-3 days... Curious to see how long it will be before they ship and then how long it will take to get to Canada with Fedex priority... hope to get it for the holidays as this is a xmas present from me to myself :wink: If this works well I'll be seriously contemplating a Bifrost 2 to pair with it.

Any recommendations on burn-in time?

Let us know how it goes with the Lyr 3. I am considering one for myself. I can personally recommend the Bifrost 2 as a DAC as I have one myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back