Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
May 7, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #2,731 of 3,350
All of these shapes work fine with a lifter. Especially if the glass doesn't sit perfectly square on top of its base but is slightly tilted. All of these work fine and clear the metal in my LYR3 with a lifter.
1620383743800.png
The tube on the left looks cool - any suggestions as to where I can buy one? (Yes, I admit that I sometimes buy tubes because they look cool. :))

May 7, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #2,732 of 3,350
The tube on the left looks cool - any suggestions as to where I can buy one? (Yes, I admit that I sometimes buy tubes because they look cool. :))
And that is even before they are in the amp and are glowing!...

May 7, 2021 at 12:04 PM Post #2,733 of 3,350
There is an aesthetic involvement with tubed electronics that you just don't get with SS.
These were a limited edition run of Shuguang WE6SN7Plus ‘Black Plate Curvy’ vacuum tubes.
I purchased these from Grant Fidelity in Canada some time back. https://grantfidelity.com/new/
Grant Fidelity has broken ties with Psvane (who owned Shuguang I believe) and if you check the GF website they give a lot of info on the break with this tube supplier and their new line on Linlai tubes.
These WE6SN7's appear to be gone and may no longer be available but you can search Amazon , Ebay, etc., and search under Psvane and Shuguang as well. Maybe?

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #2,734 of 3,350
I must be lucky but my Treasure Globe fits fine in my Lyr without a saver...

IMG_9766.JPG

Doesn't get too hot either... Room is temperature controlled, which helps.

May 9, 2021 at 10:54 PM Post #2,736 of 3,350
May 13, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #2,737 of 3,350
EE035329-B8C8-4D88-ACB7-5EA736565B7E_1_105_c.jpeg

Got my socket saver in today and felt much calmer getting the tube in. Looks great, still too early to tell the sound sig. But I got a good feeling about this one. Thanks for the advice.

May 16, 2021 at 6:47 AM Post #2,738 of 3,350
The review is very old, 2018, but it is interesting to see that they say the Lyr 3 is « fully discrete », no op-amps. Like the Asgard 3.

Having read these forums for about 2 months, I have seen several people say that their amp was sent in for repair, and Schiit said an op-amp was defective and replaced. Jotunheim 2 stories.

For me, ordering from Europe, sending my amp to the U.S. for repair is something I would hope to avoid. I would wonder if the Lyr 3 and Asgard 3 are the more reliable, less defect prone, choices.

And maybe « fully discrete » amps sound better (?).

Last edited:
May 16, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #2,739 of 3,350
The review is very old, 2018, but it is interesting to see that they say the Lyr 3 is « fully discrete », no op-amps. Like the Asgard 3.

Having read these forums for about 2 months, I have seen several people say that their amp was sent in for repair, and Schiit said an op-amp was defective and replaced. Jotunheim 2 stories.

The discrete amps may contain op-amps too, but in them they’re used as DC-servos or as part of the protection circuits (a DC-servo removes DC-offset and isn’t in the direct signal path as opposed to a coupling capacitor).

The only op-amp based Schiit amps (where the op-amps are actually used for the amplification) are (iirc) Fulla, Hel, Magni Heresy (that’s where the Heresy moniker comes from), and now also IEMagni.

Well, op-amp based amps tend to measure better, but beauty - as they say - lies in the ear of the beholder :smiley:

May 16, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #2,740 of 3,350

For me, ordering from Europe, sending my amp to the U.S. for repair is something I would hope to avoid. I would wonder if the Lyr 3 and Asgard 3 are the more reliable, less defect prone, choices.

Schiit makes and sells a lot of amps, so simply by the numbers you’re going to see more warranty service reports than a smaller maker. As a percentage of sales, I suspect the failure rate is low- everything I’ve seen suggests that they have an excellent quality control program.

That said, there is always some risk of a problem with any manufacturer. From my own personal experience, Schiit provides excellent after sales support, but if you’re concerned about shipping cost and time you’re probably better off buying something with local support.

Local support may be a problem though. If Europe is anything like the US, most stuff is made in Asia with pretty much no support other than the ability to return to the seller within a set time period.

Last edited:
May 16, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #2,741 of 3,350
Schiit makes and sells a lot of amps, so simply by the numbers you’re going to see more warranty service reports than a smaller maker. As a percentage of sales, I suspect the failure rate is low- everything I’ve seen suggests that they have an excellent quality control program.

That said, there is always some risk of a problem with any manufacturer. From my own personal experience, Schiit provides excellent after sales support, but if you’re concerned about shipping cost and time you’re probably better off buying something with local support.

Local support may be a problem though. If Europe is anything like the US, most stuff is made in Asia with pretty much no support other than the ability to return to the seller within a set time period.

For me, at this point, nothing else even attracts me. I want Schiit products, period, and anything else would be a disappointment. It may be an irrational purchase decision, but that's it. I was one of the very lucky few that got a Modi 3+ from Schiit Europe this last week.

I did see Jason Stoddard mention in a YouTube video, once or twice, that every product is listened to at least once before it goes out the door.

After I get the Lyr 3, then I can wait. The Lyr 3 from the U.S. seems worth the small risk.

I would get a Bifrost 2, but that I can wait for. If Schiit Europe ever has one, 2022 (?), 2023 (?), I would buy it.

May 16, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #2,742 of 3,350
For me, at this point, nothing else even attracts me. I want Schiit products, period, and anything else would be a disappointment. It may be an irrational purchase decision, but that's it. I was one of the very lucky few that got a Modi 3+ from Schiit Europe this last week.

I did see Jason Stoddard mention in a YouTube video, once or twice, that every product is listened to at least once before it goes out the door.

After I get the Lyr 3, then I can wait. The Lyr 3 from the U.S. seems worth the small risk.

I would get a Bifrost 2, but that I can wait for. If Schiit Europe ever has one, 2022 (?), 2023 (?), I would buy it.
The Bifrost 2 was a noticeable improvement over every other DAC I’ve heard. Expensive? Yes. Worth it? Absolutely.

May 16, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #2,744 of 3,350

There may be some theoretical basis for your thoughts, but only Schiit knows what the numerator and denominator for defective returns (numerator) and sales (denominator).
If online complaints are a perfect correlation with the numerator (not sure that is valid) then a 2X increase in numerator may reflect a 2X increase in denominator with same % defects.

What if the op amp is more reliable than discrete?
Who knows?

May 17, 2021 at 1:10 AM Post #2,745 of 3,350
Hi,
Does the Bifrost 2 have the "wall of sound" sounding character of the modi multibit? Tks
I haven’t heard a Modi multibit, so can’t comment directly, though I have heard “wall of sound” described as heavy compression where there isn’t much microdynamics. If that’s what you mean then no, it’s not compressed sounding at all.

The Bifrost is a very dynamic DAC which also does great rendering of small subtle changes in volume (microdynamics). It’s slightly warm with excellent bass execution, fantastic imaging and a slightly smoothed treble. Overall the sound is euphonic and rich sounding.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back