Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
Jan 9, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #2,686 of 3,350
My wife never questions anything I do with electronics. I use 6sn7 as the driver in amps I designed and those pay for all tubes, components, and woodworking equipment. My latest loaner amp will look a bit like this.walnut basswood 2.jpg

purple amp cabinet.jpg

Purple heart and curly maple with maple splines.
Not to derail the thread but beautiful woodwork.

Jan 9, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #2,687 of 3,350
Not to derail the thread but beautiful woodwork.
Thanks, I also did a Lyr 3 rack pretty early, and own most Schiit tube product made so I can stay on topic some.
Mr. Cowen stole, um borrowed my idea. IMG_1539.jpgIMG_1449 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #2,688 of 3,350
Thanks, I also did a Lyr 3 rack pretty early, and own most Schiit tube product made so I can stay on topic some.
Mr. Cowen stole, um borrowed my idea.IMG_1539.jpgIMG_1449 (1).jpg

Ooh! Even color coordinated cables!

Jan 9, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #2,689 of 3,350
Jan 9, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #2,690 of 3,350
Mr. Cowen stole, um borrowed my idea.

But imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, is it not? At least I left your purple alone. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Schiit_Rack_Rev_A_2.jpg

Jan 9, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #2,692 of 3,350
Jan 9, 2021 at 8:10 PM Post #2,693 of 3,350
Hello all, while putting together my PC system, I want to check if my understanding of the Lyr 3's pre out is correct please:

I've come up with the below as I want to be able to control everything with the Lyr 3:

Proposed setup:

PC >> USB to External DAC (Bifrost 2) >> RCA to Lyr 3 >>> headphone out when needed + Lyr 3's RCA pre out into RCA input Logitech z337 powered 2.1 speakers.

Would this work properly without any weird issues? So with Lyr 3 I can control the volume of the speakers and can plug in headphones when needed too. Is my understanding of the Lyr 3's preamp output correct please?

Jan 9, 2021 at 8:36 PM Post #2,694 of 3,350
Hello all, while putting together my PC system, I want to check if my understanding of the Lyr 3's pre out is correct please:

I've come up with the below as I want to be able to control everything with the Lyr 3:

Proposed setup:

PC >> USB to External DAC (Bifrost 2) >> RCA to Lyr 3 >>> headphone out when needed + Lyr 3's RCA pre out into RCA input Logitech z337 powered 2.1 speakers.

Would this work properly without any weird issues? So with Lyr 3 I can control the volume of the speakers and can plug in headphones when needed too. Is my understanding of the Lyr 3's preamp output correct please?
That's correct. Loki between the Bifrost and Lyr 3 is a great enhancement

Jan 10, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #2,697 of 3,350

Proposed setup:

Sounds like a plan! I have pretty much same setup, works a treat (though i only use PC USB out for Utube and such, music comes in from a Pi endpoint via S/PDIF coas. But yes, Lyr’s volume will control external speakers via pre-out.

Jan 21, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #2,699 of 3,350
My understanding when using the Lyr 3 as a preamp is that it uses the tube portion of the headphone amplification system and not any of the solid state power amp portion of the headphone amplification system.

Is that correct?

How does that differ from a Saga or a the other preamp (besides connectivity and the pot)?

I guess I am asking, is the Lyr 3 acting as a pure tube preamplifier in preamplifier mode? Because that doesn't make sense to me.

And while we're on the subject, anyone else think it's ****ed up that Amazon is buying up all the cardboard in California?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back