Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
Jan 5, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #2,656 of 3,350
The Lyr3 and Jotunheim tops can be removed, but it is a hassle, a very tight fit slide-lock mechanism. However, here is at least one video somewhere on YouTube that shows how to self-install a card in an original Jotunheim. The Lyr3 top is attached in the exact same way.

As i understand it, it is possible to get the RCA card pre-installed if you ask for it specifically when and/or before you order.

I think the reason they don’t have it as a selectable option is because if they had they’d get a lot of questions about why they don’t have it listed among the other cards on the store (because it’s such a tight fit as not to be really user installable).
Yeah, but that's such a PITA. IMO, an RCA input card should have been the default option for all of the modular amps from day one.

Jan 5, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #2,657 of 3,350
Yeah, but that's such a PITA. IMO, an RCA input card should have been the default option for all of the modular amps from day one.
Agreed. Also, I cannot understand why it would be a tighter fit than DAC card. Should have no electronics on it (or minimal passives). Easier to do smaller than the DAC offerings!

Jan 5, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #2,658 of 3,350

I agree, it would be great to have RCA input card at least as a selectable option, if not the default.

Jan 5, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #2,659 of 3,350
Agreed. Also, I cannot understand why it would be a tighter fit than DAC card. Should have no electronics on it (or minimal passives). Easier to do smaller than the DAC offerings!

It was probably made for the Ragnarok2 when it came out, and although it must be simple to make it smaller it might just be a case of “didn’t think about that”, or anticipated to be no demand for it in the other amps.

Maybe a reshaped RCA input card could be in the works for 2021 though?

Jan 7, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #2,662 of 3,350
Any rumours or indications as to when the Lyr 3 might be available in black?

It looks like one of the last to have the black finish option
Not till the next version.

My thoughts: Lyr 3 is so close to being my end game amp (at least for cold weather), especially with my valve selections, I changed my system from black to silver to cordinate with the Lyr 3.

I ordered the Asgard 3 in black. Purchased the Modius in black. Picked up the Lyr 3 2nd hand. The Lyr 3 silver is gorgeous.

My Jot 2 order is for silver. At the time I replace the Modius with the Bifrost 2 (hopefully the Bifrost 3), it will be in silver.

Jan 8, 2021 at 1:11 AM Post #2,663 of 3,350
Any rumours or indications as to when the Lyr 3 might be available in black?

It looks like one of the last to have the black finish option
Not till the next version.

I would have loved a black Lyr3...
Fingers crossed the Lyr4 will come in black and use 6SN7 tubes - I have invested quite some dough in them!

Jan 8, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #2,664 of 3,350
I would have loved a black Lyr3...
Fingers crossed the Lyr4 will come in black and use 6SN7 tubes - I have invested quite some dough in them!

Of course my crystal ball is as well-calibrated as anyone else's (ie: a WAG :smiley:) but I'd guess the next act for the Lyr 3 would be like a Lyr 3a or Lyr 3+ or similar with perhaps some incremental circuit improvements. Not that the Lyr 3 needs it (IMO), but then I thought the Vali 2 was a pretty outstanding little amp at its price point and they 'improved' it with the Vali 2+ :smile: It would be strange (though not inconceivable) for them to move away from the 6SN7 as it is perhaps one of the best tubes around for the way it is used in the Lyr 3's circuit. Perhaps using a pair would be an upgrade with each tubes triodes connected in parallel. This would give some additional gain into high impedance headphones. The Lyr 3 has ungodly amounts of power for low impedance 'phones and plenty for even high impedance 'phones that have reasonably high sensitivity. But it becomes borderline with high impedance 'phones that are low in sensitivity (below 90 dB)...which is typically where OTL's enter the picture. The pair of tubes would also reduce the possibility of audible channel imbalance in a tube with badly mismatched triode sections.

But that would be a huge amount of redesign work for very little sonic gain, and certainly not a quantum leap over the current version. Schiit always seems to have tricks hidden up under their sleeve that nobody has yet even dreamed about, so I guess I'll just eagerly wait to be surprised. :smile:

Jan 8, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #2,665 of 3,350
Of course my crystal ball is as well-calibrated as anyone else's (ie: a WAG :smiley:) but I'd guess the next act for the Lyr 3 would be like a Lyr 3a or Lyr 3+ or similar with perhaps some incremental circuit improvements. Not that the Lyr 3 needs it (IMO), but then I thought the Vali 2 was a pretty outstanding little amp at its price point and they 'improved' it with the Vali 2+ :smile: It would be strange (though not inconceivable) for them to move away from the 6SN7 as it is perhaps one of the best tubes around for the way it is used in the Lyr 3's circuit. Perhaps using a pair would be an upgrade with each tubes triodes connected in parallel. This would give some additional gain into high impedance headphones. The Lyr 3 has ungodly amounts of power for low impedance 'phones and plenty for even high impedance 'phones that have reasonably high sensitivity. But it becomes borderline with high impedance 'phones that are low in sensitivity (below 90 dB)...which is typically where OTL's enter the picture. The pair of tubes would also reduce the possibility of audible channel imbalance in a tube with badly mismatched triode sections.

But that would be a huge amount of redesign work for very little sonic gain, and certainly not a quantum leap over the current version. Schiit always seems to have tricks hidden up under their sleeve that nobody has yet even dreamed about, so I guess I'll just eagerly wait to be surprised. :smile:

I’d like to see a Valhalla 3 first, but with output transformers. May never happen given how expensive quality output transformers are.

Jan 8, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #2,666 of 3,350
I'd guess the next act for the Lyr 3 would be like a Lyr 3a or Lyr 3+ or similar with perhaps some incremental circuit improvements. Not that the Lyr 3 needs it (IMO), but then I thought the Vali 2 was a pretty outstanding little amp at its price point and they 'improved' it with the Vali 2+ :smile: It would be strange (though not inconceivable) for them to move away from the 6SN7 as it is perhaps one of the best tubes around for the way it is used in the Lyr 3's circuit.
Yeah - small improvements, still using 6SN7, with black finish option. I will order 1 for sure!! :wink:

Perhaps using a pair would be an upgrade with each tubes triodes connected in parallel. This would give some additional gain into high impedance headphones. The Lyr 3 has ungodly amounts of power for low impedance 'phones and plenty for even high impedance 'phones that have reasonably high sensitivity. But it becomes borderline with high impedance 'phones that are low in sensitivity (below 90 dB)...which is typically where OTL's enter the picture. The pair of tubes would also reduce the possibility of audible channel imbalance in a tube with badly mismatched triode sections.
Hope not - I stocked up with singles for the Lyr3 (and GOTL). For me - twin 6SN7 is as much a showstopper as non-6SN7 tube :rage:

Jan 8, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #2,667 of 3,350
Hope not - I stocked up with singles for the Lyr3 (and GOTL). For me - twin 6SN7 is as much a showstopper as non-6SN7 tube :rage:

Then you obviously need more 6SN7's. There's a few for sale on Ebay. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

Jan 8, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #2,668 of 3,350
Then you obviously need more 6SN7's. There's a few for sale on Ebay. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

There is?
I thought you, @Ripper2860 and @Paladin79 had the place cleaned out by now. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue::ksc75smile:
I did however manage to secure most of BangyBang’s supply. :smirk:

*ducks out of reach of flying GE’s*

Jan 8, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #2,669 of 3,350
There is?
I thought you, @Ripper2860 and @Paladin79 had the place cleaned out by now. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue::ksc75smile:

ROFL! All of BangyBang's are GE's regardless of what he's relabeled them to. You might have to assume a long-term 'duck' stance... :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

Jan 8, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #2,670 of 3,350
There is?

So did I, but the money-grubbers just keep restocking. :rolling_eyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back