Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
Dec 16, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #1,666 of 3,350
Good info, and thanks for sharing! A couple additional solutions below. Note that the Hydra is currently on sale. :slight_smile::slight_smile:

You gotta be kidding, or else you live next to an aluminum smelter :wink: Furman Elite-15i's is as far as I'll go down the clean power obsession path...

Dec 16, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #1,667 of 3,350
You gotta be kidding, or else you live next to an aluminum smelter :wink: Furman Elite-15i's is as far as I'll go down the clean power obsession path...

LOL! There always comes a point where I say I won't be able to look at myself in the mirror if...

Dec 16, 2018 at 8:02 PM Post #1,668 of 3,350

What...is it the price? My 8' speaker cables cost more than that...

J/K. I used to dump big money on such stuff, but then somehow I got old. Probably not wisdom though...just proximity to retirement. :relaxed:

Dec 16, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #1,669 of 3,350
J/K. I used to dump big money on such stuff, but then somehow I got old. Probably not wisdom though...just proximity to retirement.
I spend plenty of $$$ on a narrow range of gear (DACs, amps, transducers, skis, mountaineering) and services (live music, mountain guiding, training/physical therapy) in support of my two vices -- music listening, backcountry skiing -- but I draw the line where the tail starts wagging the dog. That power conditioner would cost way more than my full headphone stack, which is no slouch.

Dec 16, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #1,670 of 3,350
I spend plenty of $$$ on a narrow range of gear (DACs, amps, transducers, skis, mountaineering) and services (live music, mountain guiding, training/physical therapy) in support of my two vices -- music listening, backcountry skiing -- but I draw the line where the tail starts wagging the dog. That power conditioner would cost way more than my full headphone stack, which is no slouch.
But everything would be more betterer with it! What a bargain! Hehehe

Dec 16, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #1,671 of 3,350
But everything would be more betterer with it! What a bargain! Hehehe
I've probably already gone in my audio gear well beyond what I can reliably distinguish by listening to any music I care about. Just to give you an example, I decided to listen today to Lyr 3 + 2-hole Sylvania Bad Boy instead of the much pricier Apex Peak+Volcano+Psvane 6SN7-SE. Really enjoying it. If I could convince my keen-hearing better half to do some comparative listening once again, she would likely reconfirm that the pricier setup is better, but basically I am at the limit of experimental error in deciding among headphone audio stacks, even without magical power conditioning.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #1,672 of 3,350
I've probably already gone in my audio gear well beyond what I can reliably distinguish by listening to any music I care about. Just to give you an example, I decided to listen today to Lyr 3 + 2-hole Sylvania Bad Boy instead of the much pricier Apex Peak+Volcano+Psvane 6SN7-SE. Really enjoying it. If I could convince my keen-hearing better half to do some comparative listening once gain, she would likely reconfirm that the pricier setup is better, but basically I am at the limit of experimental error in deciding among headphone audio stacks, even without magical power conditioning.

I think I’m there too. To the extent that I do hear differences, subjective preference rather than objective realism define my choices.

Dec 19, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #1,673 of 3,350
Hi Guys,

I left the Lyr 3 Family after a couple minor issuses, that were rectified immediately by Schiit. Long story short, I have a poop load of great 6SN7 tubes, “Bad Boy” included, PM me for a list of tubes and we can figure out a fair price.

Dec 22, 2018 at 3:54 AM Post #1,676 of 3,350
First of all don't ban me for asking this question.
I have read 3-4 cases of headphone getting killed by Schiit Lyr 3. It don't know if there was problem with tube or the DC killed the headphone. Has Schiit solved this problem? I am thinking to buy one but I am not sure after reading all these headphones issues.

Dec 22, 2018 at 4:36 AM Post #1,677 of 3,350
I have read 3-4 cases of headphone getting killed by Schiit Lyr 3. It don't know if there was problem with tube or the DC killed the headphone. Has Schiit solved this problem? I am thinking to buy one but I am not sure after reading all these headphones issues.

I haven’theard about this with regard to the Lyr3, but I remember reading about a similar issue with the original Asgard. I think the first Asgard let out DC when it was powered off in some cases, and that’s was why the muting relay has been included since in all their amps. The muting relay cuts off the headphone from the amplifier circuit immediately on power off and delays connecting the headphones on power on until the amplifier circuit has stabilised.

I haven’t had any such problems with the Lyr3, but I guess a bad or failing tube could cause any number of strange things, some of them more or less bad.

However, isn’t there some protection built in for failing tubes so they couldn’t cause damage the amp or connected headphones? Anyone know?

Dec 22, 2018 at 4:44 AM Post #1,678 of 3,350
I read (somewhere else) the same question which was answered by Jason at Schiit. Basically, the response was that there have been no abnormally high number of failures, nor any specific situations they could find where failures would definitely occur in the Lyr 3 and cause amp or headphone destruction.

IMO, I think what you are seeing is either the vocal minority, or a very specific and rare set of circumstances triggering failures. I don't know which, and I suspect the former is more likely.

Edit - I have also been in private messages with a single individual who had one fail and eat his headphones, and can confirm they said that Schiit completely took care of them in regards to the amp and headphone replacement.

I've had mine plugged in all over the place - work, home, 3 different friends houses, etc. - with over 20 different tubes having been plugged into it, including some tubes that were confirmed bad after the fact (as in bad solder in pins and one with a vaccuum failure) and mine has not given me a single issue.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2018 at 5:20 AM Post #1,679 of 3,350
If need to take some precaution while using Lyr 3 we should be informed before hand. One DIYer told me not to switch on the tube amp while headphone connected. Schiit should inform us.

Dec 22, 2018 at 6:04 AM Post #1,680 of 3,350
I've had no issues to date with the LYR3 but have ingrained a habit where I always disconnect the phones first before turning off my amp(s) of choice for the day, DAC, and CD transport, and only plug in phones after everything before it in the chain is warmed up a bit.

I do a lot of A/B comparisons with sound meter matched levels and I don't always turn the volume levels down to off (I just leave them where they are at) when I shut down my gear for the day so I can pick up the next day without spending any time re-measuring levels. I have had no issues with this process for 3 full years with any amp or HP, as long as I unplug the phones (and have the CD player paused first).

One Head-Fi contact of mine had a LYR3 die twice taking his HP's and a replacement pair both times. I guess there can always be a unique set of circumstances that can lead to unwanted results.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back