Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
May 2, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #796 of 3,350
The one and possibly only situation, where I would recommend the Jot, over the Lyr 3 is with the HD 650's. That pairing is perfection, with a balanced cable on high gain.
giphy.gif

I guess you need some pretty heavy artillery to pierce that Sennheiser Veil!!

May 2, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #797 of 3,350
what headphones are you using? system synergy sometimes trumps general performance. i totally agree that in general, the lyr is a better amp vs the jot. but... if you have a slow, dark headphone, say the hd650, then i'd say the jot is the better amp due to it's synergy with the 650. on the flip side, if you're rocking something fast and lean/bright, like an hd800, the lyr would be the better amp due to synergy. i do conceed for most situations, the lyr would sound better than the jot overall. just playing devil's advocate :wink:

How about Focal Clear? Does it have good synergy with those headphones.

May 2, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #798 of 3,350
Sorry, I've not heard the Clear yet so I'd only be speculating. I will say I hated the Elear with the Jot, the treble was way too hot for my tastes. I never got to try the Elear on the Lyr. Not sure how the Clear and Elear compare to each other.

May 3, 2018 at 12:40 AM Post #799 of 3,350

I’m using the Focal Clear with the Lyr 3, with very positive results. The great tone, timing, and micro/macrodynamics remain, but the soundstage is both deeper and wider (Tube dependent).

May 3, 2018 at 4:32 AM Post #801 of 3,350
I have a Pangea TT stand:

https://www.amazon.com/Pangea-Audio-Vulcan-Turntable-Storage/dp/B07B5HR9D9

I am thinking about the Lyr3 for the tube warmth output to headphones while the line stage goes to a pair of Sonos5.

Will the shelf clearance be enough for the amp/tube combo? Or will the tube make the top shelf too hot and be a melt/fire hazard?

Hard to tell how big it is from the pic, I’d say the lyr is roughly 4-5” tall with tube installed, and I don’t think you have to worry of a tube melting anything unless it’s places dirrectly on it...even with running a full day, the amp/tube is warm to the touch, and probably radiating a little heat, but I doubt if you held your hand 5-6” over the tube you would notice anything worthy of concearn.

My lyr3 is set right next to my pc monitor with the tube maybe 5” away from the corner of the monitor and it hasn’t melted anything yet

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 4:32 AM Post #802 of 3,350
what headphones are you using? system synergy sometimes trumps general performance. i totally agree that in general, the lyr is a better amp vs the jot. but... if you have a slow, dark headphone, say the hd650, then i'd say the jot is the better amp due to it's synergy with the 650. on the flip side, if you're rocking something fast and lean/bright, like an hd800, the lyr would be the better amp due to synergy. i do conceed for most situations, the lyr would sound better than the jot overall. just playing devil's advocate :wink:

Using the hd660s, which seems to be more of a combination between the 600 and 700 instead of the 650. Can't hear any veil aswell.

May 3, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #803 of 3,350
I just received a new Lyr 3 this evening - got it unpacked and stacked on top of my Bimby multibit, and am doing some uncritical listening with my ZMF Atticus while letting the amp warm up. Just to level-set my impressions of the amp, and to spare tube life for my small collection of 6SN7's I'm using it with the LISST for the first 2-3 days. So - these first few hours are likely to be the *worst* the amp will sound, and honestly, it's pretty good to my ears. My other cans are LCD 2.1 and HD650. I'll post an update once I've let the amp fully break in and play with the real tubes.

May 4, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #804 of 3,350
Alas it arrived. Starting off with the Tung Sol.
HbqDJD8.jpg

NuJKF9z.jpg

May 4, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #805 of 3,350
May 4, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #806 of 3,350
Nice pics (as usual)! Yours looks newer than mine.
I put my 1958 Foton in. Decided since it was pretty much burnt in would sound better.

May 4, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #807 of 3,350
I put my 1958 Foton in. Decided since it was pretty much burnt in would sound better.

I like my '58's best. I think it's because they correspond to a remarkable year in the annals of mankind. But I'm dating myself...:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

May 4, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #808 of 3,350
I’m thinking of getting the Lyr3 (will be using HD600/HD6xx headphones mostly). Would the Lyr3 work well with those headphones, and what tube would pair best with them?

(And would using the LISST in Lyr3 sort of make it into a Jotunheim?)

May 4, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #809 of 3,350
I just received a new Lyr 3 this evening - got it unpacked and stacked on top of my Bimby multibit, and am doing some uncritical listening with my ZMF Atticus while letting the amp warm up. Just to level-set my impressions of the amp, and to spare tube life for my small collection of 6SN7's I'm using it with the LISST for the first 2-3 days. So - these first few hours are likely to be the *worst* the amp will sound, and honestly, it's pretty good to my ears. My other cans are LCD 2.1 and HD650. I'll post an update once I've let the amp fully break in and play with the real tubes.

Please do, I would especially love to hear about the HD650 with real tube and with LISST :)

May 4, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #810 of 3,350
I’m thinking of getting the Lyr3 (will be using HD600/HD6xx headphones mostly). Would the Lyr3 work well with those headphones, and what tube would pair best with them?

(And would using the LISST in Lyr3 sort of make it into a Jotunheim?)

"(And would using the LISST in Lyr3 sort of make it into a Jotunheim?)"

Yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back