Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
Mar 20, 2018 at 2:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3,350

ProfFalkin

Headphoneus Supremus
Lyr3 front 1920.jpg

Annoucement Video: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1720440738014542

Lyr 3 announcement post from Jason: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-2026#post-14116733

Schiit Store page: http://www.schiit.com/products/lyr-3

Lyr 3 Announcement: http://www.schiit.com/about/news/schiit-introduces-lyr-3

The First-Ever Modular Hybrid Headamp/Preamp

March 20, 2018, Valencia, CA. - Today, Schiit Audio announced the introduction of its third-generation Lyr headphone amp/preamp. Using Schiit’s new Coherence™ hybrid single-tube/solid state architecture, new Continuity™ constant-transconductance output stage, the same modular design as Jotunheim, Lyr 3 is a significant advance in technology, versatility, and convenience. Lyr 3 is available now at schiit.com, starting at $499. (Click Here To Read More)

Code:
Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db, 2Hz-700KHz, -3dB
Maximum Power, 16 ohms: 9.0W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 6.0W RMS per channel (7.5W at <1% THD typical, one channel driven)
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 4.0W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 900mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 450mW RMS per channel
THD: < 0.007%, 20Hz-20KHz, at 1V RMS, high gain (worst case)
IMD: < 0.005%, CCIR at 1V RMS, high gain (worst case)
SNR: > 102db, unweighted, referenced to 1V RMS, in gain = 1.5 mode
Crosstalk: < -75dB, 20 Hz-20KHz
Output Impedance: 0.3 ohms, high gain (worst case)
Gain: 7.5 (17.5db) or 1.5 (3.5db), via rear switch
Topology: fully discrete, current-mode noninverting 6SN7/bipolar hybrid with constant transconductance output stage
Protection: standard muting relay for delayed turn-on and fast turn-off
Power Supply: two internal power transformers with 72VA total rating, plus with over 55,000uf of filter capacitance

-------------

Starting this off with a quick question to @Jason Stoddard...

Jason, which 6SN7 tubes are acceptable for use in the Lyr 3? I have some 6BX7 and 6BL7 tubes which sound very good, but I hesitate to use tubes not endorsed by the manufacturer in their products.

This looks like a very exciting product, and I look forward to receiving mine very soon!

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #3 of 3,350
Added specs from product page.

Mar 20, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #4 of 3,350
Call me crazy, but I'm really gonna miss the look of the Lyr 2.

While I'm sure the Lyr 3 will be a sonic upgrade over the Lyr 2 (and I'll be getting one), IMHO it's an aesthetic downgrade.

The Lyr 2 is just a thing of beauty.:heart_eyes: And it sounds pretty damn good too! :L3000:

It's kind of a shame that Jason has decided to switch to the simpler and less costly chassis of the Jotunheim/Saga for the Lyr 3. And I'm sure all of the future mid-sized amp and DAC updates will use it too.

Oh well. Change happens.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #5 of 3,350
Call me crazy, but I'm really gonna miss the look of the Lyr 2.

While I'm sure the Lyr 3 will be a sonic upgrade over the Lyr 2 (and I'll be getting one), IMHO it's an aesthetic downgrade.

The Lyr 2 is just a thing of beauty.:heart_eyes: And it sounds pretty damn good too! :L3000:

It's kind of a shame that Mike has decided to switch to the simpler and less costly chassis of the Jotunheim/Saga for the Lyr 3 (and I'm sure all of the rest of the future mid-sized amp and DAC updates).

I was selling my Lyr 2, but now I've changed my mind. I'll be holding onto it for a while because I think it's an absolute classic.
I think it looks awesome, much cleaner (no screws, etc.) and I like the vent hole pattern. Not that I minded the look of the old one, but this is an improvement to me. In black, the difference would be even more pronounced.

Mar 20, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #6 of 3,350
I think it looks awesome, much cleaner (no screws, etc.) and I like the vent hole pattern. Not that I minded the look of the old one, but this is an improvement to me. In black, the difference would be even more pronounced.
LeslieDavidBaker.gif

Mar 20, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #7 of 3,350

I've always liked the Jot chassis. Putting the Lyr 3 in there is just fine by me.

Mar 20, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #8 of 3,350
I have never used a tube amp before. Sorry for my ignorance, but lyr had 2 tubes, and this lyr 3 has one tube. Does the number of tubes make any sonic difference? The look of lyr 3 resembles more like Vali 2 than lyr 2.
I thought about cancelling or selling mcth in favor of this, but i changed my mind at least for now.
The price of mcth is just half of this with the better technology (power switch on the front). Before I am jumping on this, I hope to see more comparative reviews between mcth and lyr 3, as the price point of mcth seems to be unbeatable at this point.

Mar 20, 2018 at 6:24 PM Post #9 of 3,350
I doubt you will get many reviews quite yet. The Lyr 3 just came out today, and I can't confirm if they've started shipping yet.

Mar 20, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #10 of 3,350
I'm still new to all of this, but isn't the prevailing wisdom of multibit DACs to leave them on all the time while the prevailing wisdom for tube amps is to only power them on when necessary? Where would that leave a Lymby?

Mar 20, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #11 of 3,350
It is my understanding that the dac card is powered by the usb bus. So, if you leave your PC on all the time as I do, it's fine.

If you want to bypass this, use a powered USB hub which will do two things for you - decouple the dac from the pc usb power, and stay on all the time. Also, the Schiit Wyrd would do the same only better, I believe.

Mar 20, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #13 of 3,350
Pretty sure he was serious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back