Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
May 23, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #1,036 of 3,350
@GoodRevrnd In every analysis of the multibit DAC module that I have read, its performance ranks on par or below that of the Modi Multibit. Although some do prefer the Momby to the Bifrost Multibit on the basis of its tonal character, I think it’d be a stretch to say that the Bimby is “inferior” to the Momby.

In my own experience, I substantially prefer the Bimby to the Momby. I think it’s safe to say that, although I’ve not heard it, that same opinion would hold regarding the multibit add-in card.

If I were in your position, I’d keep the Bimby to use with the Lyr 3. If for some reason you’d like to have an AIO on hand, then opt for the 4490 G2 module. That’s reputed to perform quite well for its price and would offer a different, arguably more neutral flavor to play around with for comparative purposes.

Hope that’s helpful. Glad to clarify as needed.

Last edited:
May 23, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #1,037 of 3,350
I read a few times that the separate multibit DAC sounds better than the integrated one in the Lyr3. Any reason that might be?

May 23, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #1,038 of 3,350
@betula If you’re referring to the Modi Multibit, then I suspect the standalone version has the benefit of fewer design constraints as opposed to what was required to confine the multibit architecture to the diminutive add-in module.

Another factor to consider that has been mentioned previously is that the multibit card is limited to the G2 USB input, a limitation it shares with the Momby. This is not an inconsequential drawback as compared to the more expensive models, although the addition of an Eitr can ameliorate the issue in the Momby’s case at added expense.

May 23, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #1,039 of 3,350
Okay thanks. I'm not sure why I asked that question, I look back to compare the two now and there are different specs. I swear when I was looking at this last night it was the same. I probably had the wrong window open and was looking at the Jot instead of Bimby.

May 23, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #1,040 of 3,350
@betula If you’re referring to the Modi Multibit, then I suspect the standalone version has the benefit of fewer design constraints as opposed to what was required to confine the multibit architecture to the diminutive add-in module.

Another factor to consider that has been mentioned previously is that the multibit card is limited to the G2 USB input, a limitation it shares with the Momby. This is not an inconsequential drawback as compared to the more expensive models, although the addition of an Eitr can ameliorate the issue in the Momby’s case at added expense.
Thanks for your reply sir.

The Eitr always kept me thinking how good it actually is. Is adding the Eitr to the Lyr3 mean much improvement?
Also, is for example an Eitr + Modi Multibit + Magni 3 combo inferior to the Lyr3 or it is just a different taste of sound?

May 23, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #1,041 of 3,350
If I could jump in...

Having moved to a Lyr 3 from a Eitr+Modi Multibit+Magni 3 stack, I can definitely state that the replacing the Magni 3 with the Lyr 3 was a SIGNIFICANT improvement. While the Magni 3 is a nice bit of kit and punches above its price, it just cannot hold up to the more costly and engineering laden Lyr3. Whether the sound is better, is up to the listener, but I can tell you it was astoundingly better for me -- wider sound stage, deeper controlled bass, smoother top-end, much more detail, more air around the instruments, and better location of instruments and voice creating a more 3D-like presentation. It brings out the best of Modi Multibit and Eitr as it is just loads more revealing.

I'm not kidding when I say I and having a blast discovering new nuances in music that I thought I knew. My suggestion -- try one out w/ Tung-Sol tube. Let the tube break-in for 24 hours and then enjoy!!

I personally would not go with the add-on Multibit card if you have a Modi Mulitbit. The ability to keep using the Eitr and the fact that the Modi Multibit is in a separate shielded enclosure with separate powersupply, has to improve things and the Lyr 3 is just revealing enough to take make that known.

Last edited:
May 23, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #1,042 of 3,350
If I could jump in...

Having moved to a Lyr 3 from a Eitr+Modi Multibit+Magni 3 stack, I can definitely state that the replacing the Magni 3 with the Lyr 3 was a SIGNIFICANT improvement. While the Magni 3 is a nice bit of kit and punches above its price, it just cannot hold up to the more costly and engineering laden Lyr3. Whether the sound is better, is up to the listener, but I can tell you it was astoundingly better for me -- wider sound stage, deeper controlled bass, more detail, more air around the instruments, and a more 3D-like presentation. It brings out the best of Modi Multibit and Eitr as it is just loads more revealing. I'm not kidding when I say I and having a blast discovering new nuances in music that I thought I knew.

My suggestion -- try one out w/ Tung-Sol tube. Let the tube break-in for 24 hours and then enjoy!!

I personally would not go with the add-on Multibit card if you have a Modi Mulitbit. The ability to keep using the Eitr and the fact that the Modi Multibit is in a separate shielded enclosure with separate powersupply, has to improve things and the Lyr 3 is just revealing enough to take make that known.
Let's say I have got the Lyr3 with a separate Modi Multibit instead of the card. Is the Eitr still very much recommended?

May 23, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #1,043 of 3,350
I say YES. Probably more-so with the Lyr 3 due to its more revealing nature. Eitr is not a GOTTA HAVE, it's a NICE TO HAVE (unless you have USB transmission issues like pops or clicks). In my opinion, with the Lyr 3's resolution, it would reveal flaws more easily than Magni might, making Eitr even more benficial -- but again it's not a gotta have.

Virtually everyone that has an Eitr states it has been a worthwhile investment, delivering a noticeable improvement when used with a revealing system. Typical improvements are in less 'glare' and improved clarity along with a deeper/darker silence underpinning quiet passages. I refer to it as USB Gen 5 on steroids!!

(Of course this is all my opinion.)

Note: I've never seen a Schiit Eitr for sale on eBay or in Schiit B stock listing. Folks just don't return or sell them.

Last edited:
May 24, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #1,044 of 3,350
Spent the last week with the LCD2C and Lyr 3.

In short - there is a LOT to like about this pairing, and a few failings which are deal breakers for me. Mostly comfort / build issues, but a few sonic quirks too. Overall, I'd say the Mimby + Lyr 3 + LCD2C = one of the better $1500 total cost packages you could get into. You could certainly do far worse.

May 24, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #1,045 of 3,350
In short - there is a LOT to like about this pairing, and a few failings which are deal breakers for me. Mostly comfort / build issues

Not quite sure how 'comfort' fits in with the amp. I'm pretty sure the Lyr 3 was not designed to be sat upon. :confused:

Or are you talking about the Audeze HP? Please do provide more specifics. :D

May 24, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #1,046 of 3,350
Spent the last week with the LCD2C and Lyr 3.

In short - there is a LOT to like about this pairing, and a few failings which are deal breakers for me. Mostly comfort / build issues, but a few sonic quirks too. Overall, I'd say the Mimby + Lyr 3 + LCD2C = one of the better $1500 total cost packages you could get into. You could certainly do far worse.
Hope you will elaborate on this a little more.

May 24, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #1,047 of 3,350
Not quite sure how 'comfort' fits in with the amp. I'm pretty sure the Lyr 3 was not designed to be sat upon. :confused:

Or are you talking about the Audeze HP? Please do provide more specifics. :D

No, unfortunately. When using the Lyr 3 in suppository mode on high gain, the comfort is unbearable. Also, the stock Audeze cable may not be long enough (for some) to go from your ass to your head. Furthermore, both were a nightmare to clean.

<Evil grin>

Hope you will elaborate on this a little more.

As this is the Lyr 3 thread, I'll probably put more in the LCD2C thread. I'll put a link in here if I do.

Thanks

Last edited:
May 24, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #1,048 of 3,350
I received my Lyr 3 last week and have been giving it a very good listen with my HD600.
Initial impressions is that, with the stock Russian tube, it’s already better than the Jot. Soundstage is wider, clearer. Bass seems a little slower and less impactful vs the Jot.
I’ll do a true AB comparison when my active audio splitter arrives this weekend.
I also have the KenRad VT 231 and OH MY GOD it makes the music so euphorical!

May 24, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #1,049 of 3,350
I received my Lyr 3 last week and have been giving it a very good listen with my HD600.
Initial impressions is that, with the stock Russian tube, it’s already better than the Jot. Soundstage is wider, clearer. Bass seems a little slower and less impactful vs the Jot.
I’ll do a true AB comparison when my active audio splitter arrives this weekend.
I also have the KenRad VT 231 and OH MY GOD it makes the music so euphorical!

Personally I find the HD 600 boring with the Lyr 3 and any tube. I think it needs a really warm "tubey" amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back