Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
Apr 15, 2018 at 2:47 AM Post #481 of 3,350
Hi all! I’m new here as a member! Although I’ve been following the forum since 2015... :) I’m looking for an headphone amplifier and I’m quite interested In the lyr 3, but I have a few questions:
1. I prefer a warmer sound instead Of a brighter one ( for example I can’t stand high freq sparkles Or something like that. I’ve tried The Beyer Pro 990 and although They had a good resolution i couldn’t listen To The them for more than 5 minutes because Of The highs :triportsad: My problem... )
So, because Of that: it’s Better The Asgard 2 or The Lyr 3 with a “dark” tube ( like RCAs or The stock Nos Russian) ?
2. I’ve never had a desktop headphones amplifier... how can you compare that with integrated amplifiers like The ones in The Dap’s ( for ex, like fiio X7 2 that I’ve)? It’s a true Night and Day difference?
Thank you in advance :)

P.s. Sorry for any grammatical error but English is not my first languange :cold_sweat:

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2018 at 5:26 AM Post #482 of 3,350
Hi all! I’m new here as a member! Although I’ve been following the forum since 2015... :) I’m looking for an headphone amplifier and I’m quite interested In the lyr 3, but I have a few questions:
1. I prefer a warmer sound instead Of a brighter one ( for example I can’t stand high freq sparkles Or something like that. I’ve tried The Beyer Pro 990 and although They had a good resolution i couldn’t listen To The them for more than 5 minutes because Of The highs :triportsad: My problem... )
So, because Of that: it’s Better The Asgard 2 or The Lyr 3 with a “dark” tube ( like RCAs or The stock Nos Russian) ?
2. I’ve never had a desktop headphones amplifier... how can you compare that with integrated amplifiers like The ones in The Dap’s ( for ex, like fiio X7 2 that I’ve)? It’s a true Night and Day difference?

P.s. Sorry for any grammatical error but English is not my first languange :cold_sweat:

What headphones do you plan to use? I wouldn’t say the lyr3 is bright at all, it’s just very detailed in all frequencies. The Asgard is most likely a warmer amp but it’s an inferior amp from what I have gathered. I have run my he400i, he560 and a friends HD600 through the lyr3 and all sounded amazing. I couldn’t be happier having purchased the lyr3 and it’s honestly going to be the last headphone amp I buy it’s that good, unless I decide to get some HD600/650 then I’d get an otl tube amp as I still think the senns sound best powered by otl.

I don’t think you can compare the lyr3 to any portable amp...it’s a 6+ watt monster that has been geniusly crafted and offered at a price point way lower then it could be sold at otherwise...no portable Iv used comes even close to the lyr3.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2018 at 6:04 AM Post #483 of 3,350
What headphones do you plan to use? I wouldn’t say the lyr3 is bright at all, it’s just very detailed in all frequencies. The Asgard is most likely a warmer amp but it’s an inferior amp from what I have gathered. I have run my he400i, he560 and a friends HD600 through the lyr3 and all sounded amazing. I couldn’t be happier having purchased the lyr3 and it’s honestly going to be the last headphone amp I buy it’s that good, unless I decide to get some HD600/650 then I’d get an otl tube amp as I still think the senns sound best powered by otl.

I don’t think you can compare the lyr3 to any portable amp...it’s a 6+ watt monster that has been geniusly crafted and offered at a price point way lower then it could be sold at otherwise...no portable Iv used comes even close to the lyr3.

Thank you :) At The moment I’ve The Focal Spirit Classic but I’m planning To buy at least a new headphone ( but not In The nearest future, maybe one Of The Hifiman Series ). I think I’ll go with The Lyr 3 :)

Apr 15, 2018 at 6:23 AM Post #484 of 3,350
Another important question: Any fondamental differencies with The Schiit Ak4490 or The Multibit Dac? Because i think I’m planning To buy The amp with The Dac inside.
Thanks for any advise :)

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #485 of 3,350
A tale of two Raytheons. As always, this is my opinion, preference, YMMV, and all that. These were pulled from my stash, and I gave both approx. 50 hours of break-in (in my Vali2) prior to listening in the Lyr3. On the left is a 6SN7WGT. Really nice sounding tube. Strong and nicely defined bass, fairly linear in the mids and treble with nice layering and detail. Very dynamic. Not what I'd call a warm tube by any means, but not sterile or whitewashed sounding either. Not my favorite in the Lyr so far, but one I could happily enjoy if it's all I had. On the right is a 6SN7GT, VT-231. This tube is absolutely unlistenable, with a treble presentation that makes it feel like your ears are being drilled out with a carbide-tipped drill bit. I made it through about 3 songs before the volume of blood filled the Alpha Prime earcups and started running down my neck. Ugh. Had good bass though. :grimacing: I have several more of these, so another one is burning in the Vali now just to see if this particular tube is an outlier or is actually representative of the design. At this point, I'll have to wait a week for my ears to heal before I can listen to it though. :weary:

Ray1.jpg

Apr 15, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #486 of 3,350
Another important question: Any fondamental differencies with The Schiit Ak4490 or The Multibit Dac? Because i think I’m planning To buy The amp with The Dac inside.
Thanks for any advise :)
I'd actually suggest going with the 4490 DAC over the Multibit DAC if you are looking at the internal cards. If you want Multibit, get the Modi MB DAC as it provides better soundstage and can be left on all the time for uniform sound and is only $50 more.

Apr 15, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #487 of 3,350

1. Well, it really depends. As @Motocrossman24 mentioned, the Lyr 3 is not bright. But it is quite transparent. As a result, the accompanying gear (DAC and Headphone) are going to play a role in determining the brightness you will get. I use Hugo 2 as the DAC and when I compare Hugo 2 vs Hugo 2+Lyr 3 combo, the H2+L3 combo actually sounds a touch smoother than Hugo 2 alone. Which is an indication that Lyr 3 smooths out brightness by a tiny bit. Overall, the amp sounds quite clear and it probably doesn't have the level of the tubey warmth in the mid-range, that many look for in tube amps. Also, the amp sounds a touch bright right out-of-the-box. After a day or 2 of usage, the brightness seems to disappear after a day or 2.

2. I am also coming from portable audio. Amp sections in DAPs use OpAmps. Lyr 3 is a fully discrete amplifier. Here are the 4 differences you can expect:
i) Improved Macro-Dynamics (bass slam, bass depth, authority, rumbles)
ii) Larger soundstage
iii) Larger size of the instrument images in the soundstage - Because of this, you will notice some finer nuances around the notes

Apr 15, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #488 of 3,350
I'd actually suggest going with the 4490 DAC over the Multibit DAC if you are looking at the internal cards. If you want Multibit, get the Modi MB DAC as it provides better soundstage and can be left on all the time for uniform sound and is only $50 more.

Thank You :)... So I’ll go for the Modi MultiBit also because In The end could be better to have it separated :)

1. Well, it really depends. As @Motocrossman24 mentioned, the Lyr 3 is not bright. But it is quite transparent. As a result, the accompanying gear (DAC and Headphone) are going to play a role in determining the brightness you will get. I use Hugo 2 as the DAC and when I compare Hugo 2 vs Hugo 2+Lyr 3 combo, the H2+L3 combo actually sounds a touch smoother than Hugo 2 alone. Which is an indication that Lyr 3 smooths out brightness by a tiny bit. Overall, the amp sounds quite clear and it probably doesn't have the level of the tubey warmth in the mid-range, that many look for in tube amps. Also, the amp sounds a touch bright right out-of-the-box. After a day or 2 of usage, the brightness seems to disappear after a day or 2.

2. I am also coming from portable audio. Amp sections in DAPs use OpAmps. Lyr 3 is a fully discrete amplifier. Here are the 4 differences you can expect:
i) Improved Macro-Dynamics (bass slam, bass depth, authority, rumbles)
ii) Larger soundstage
iii) Larger size of the instrument images in the soundstage - Because of this, you will notice some finer nuances around the notes

Ok that’s what I’m actually looking for! Better imaging and Better Bass Depth! Many thanks for the clarification :)

Apr 15, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #489 of 3,350
Ok that’s what I’m actually looking for! Better imaging and Better Bass Depth! Many thanks for the clarification :)

You are welcome. The imaging precision may not be a huge improvement. Hugo 2 and LPG have better imaging precision, due to a higher resolution and a blacker background. Lyr 3 may not have the blackest of the backgrounds for someone coming from portable audio.

Apr 15, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #490 of 3,350

I agree.

Apr 15, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #491 of 3,350
You are welcome. The imaging precision may not be a huge improvement. Hugo 2 and LPG have better imaging precision, due to a higher resolution and a blacker background. Lyr 3 may not have the blackest of the backgrounds for someone coming from portable audio.

Ah... Good To know! So should a solid-state Amplifier ( e.g. Asgard 2 or Jotunheim ) have Blacker background than The Lyr 3? or it’s not a matter of tube-amp vs ss-Amps?
Because I’ve never listen To a Tube amp...

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #492 of 3,350
Ah... Good To know! So should a solid-state Amplifier ( e.g. Asgard 2 or Jotunheim ) have Blacker background than The Lyr 3? or it’s not a matter of tube-amp vs ss-Amps?
Because I’ve never listen To a Tube amp...

Honestly, I am not qualified to answer that as I have seldom experience with desktop amps, let alone SS amps. What I can say for sure is, the lack of totally black background is not due to my hum from the tube. I guess it has to do with the overall noise floor and THD+N of the amp. And I am guessing, at $500 it’s not going to get any better than this. For amps that measure better, we probably need to spend more than $1000.

Apr 15, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #493 of 3,350
Honestly, I am not qualified to answer that as I have seldom experience with desktop amps, let alone SS amps. What I can say for sure is, the lack of totally black background is not due to my hum from the tube. I guess it has to do with the overall noise floor and THD+N of the amp. And I am guessing, at $500 it’s not going to get any better than this. For amps that measure better, we probably need to spend more than $1000.

Ok ok thanks! :) I'm in the 500-600 euros zone so the Lyr 3 will be perfect! ( In Italy it costs €580 )

Apr 15, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #494 of 3,350
I have to disagree with this. I own the Lyr 2, and when it's used with tubes, there is a very moderate but constant soft hiss (the perceived amount of hiss is very headphone dependent) that is directly caused by the tubes. I know this because when I use the solid-state LISST tubes, that hiss completely disappears, but so does all of the 'tube magic' that helps make the Lyr amps sound so good. It's not that it sounds bad with the LISST, far from it, but it definitely losses some lifelike resolution when the tubes are gone.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #495 of 3,350
I have to disagree with this. I own the Lyr 2, and when it's used with tubes, there is a very moderate but constant soft hiss (the perceived amount of hiss is very headphone dependent) that is directly caused by the tubes. I know this because when I use the solid-state LISST tubes, that hiss completely disappears, but so does all of the 'tube magic' that helps make the Lyr amps sound so good. It's not that is sounds bad with the LISST, far from it, but it definitely losses some lifelike resolution when the tubes are gone.

Ok! But using LISST tubes: is it like having a true ss-amp? Or are there some differences?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back