Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
Apr 10, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #392 of 3,350
So, i have stopped tube rolling, and have settled on the RCA VT-231 grey glass, as my number 1. I love the warmth in the midrange, and wide soundstage, and strong bass. This tube has the most natural sounding tone, and the highs are just right. The weight of the notes, really makes the music sound real, and reminds of my favorite 2c51, the WE396A.

Good to know. Thanks! Don't have any of those, wouldn't 'ya know. I'm interested to see how the Fotons and Melz work out...if no go, I'll be looking for some RCA's. :kissing_smiling_eyes:

Apr 10, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #393 of 3,350
Well schiit screwed up, I ordered the lyr3 multibit with Tung-Sol and lisst tube aswell as a usb cable from them and they send it w no usb cable and no lisst tube.
Same thing happened to me with the PYST cables and LISST I wanted. They sent just the Lyr, then when I asked for the rest they sent me a pair of novals rather than an octal LISST. I finally got the correct LISST yesterday.

Apr 10, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #394 of 3,350
Same thing happened to me with the PYST cables and LISST I wanted. They sent just the Lyr, then when I asked for the rest they sent me a pair of novals rather than an octal LISST. I finally got the correct LISST yesterday.

I’m sure they’re getting killed on orders, atleast in my case they took care of it impressively fast...hopefully the right stuff was sent out though.

Apr 10, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #395 of 3,350
Mine came with the TS, just ordered a pair of rubber tipped surgical forceps to facilitate the removal off hot tubes. Based on the good Professors recommendations, I’ll begin rolling with the Sylvania “Bad Boy.”

Winders was saying that the tube is not considered a bad boy... here is a pic of one...

2LwbyhU.jpg

The Sylvania VT-231 is a nice tube and a lot of people really enjoy them, though it cannot be considered a bad boy... the real bad boy's were only made for a year or two i believe ('52 - '53 ?) have the black base green labeling and black plates with 3 holes in them. Winders knows more about them than i do, please correct anything i have wrong and add any other pertinent info...

Attachments

• Sylvania 6SN7GT.JPG
    Sylvania 6SN7GT.JPG
    601.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #396 of 3,350
Winders was saying that the tube is not considered a bad boy... here is a pic of one...

2LwbyhU.jpg

The Sylvania VT-231 is a nice tube and a lot of people really enjoy them, though it cannot be considered a bad boy... the real bad boy's were only made for a year or two i believe ('52 - '53 ?) have the black base green labeling and black plates with 3 holes in them. Winders knows more about them than i do, please correct anything i have wrong and add any other pertinent info...

Bad boys were made from 51-53 and there were 2 and 3 hole versions of them depending who you ask...the term bad boy was just made by a guy trying to sell tubes and make them worth more $...according to some trusted sources the 2 and 3 hole versions sound the exact same. And they used the same build/plates in the 6sn7w and vt231 in the same generation just short bottle rather then medium. I’ll let you know my personal feelings whether they sound the same as I have both 2 and 3 hole bad boys as well as a 3 hole”bad boy” era 6sn7w to run in the lyr3.

Apr 10, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #397 of 3,350
I know this is a bit off topic, but what’s the best way to connect an iPhone 8+ to the dac section of the lyr3? I was thinking just usb hub and plug my iPhone cable into it, but not sure if there’s a better way, can’t seem to find any lightning to usb type b connectors besides the “iconnectivity cable” which has some weird block thing in between the cable which makes me think it’s only compatible with the iconnectivity device, plus it’s 40$.

Apr 10, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #398 of 3,350
For people that own/have heard Lyr 3 Multibit, would you agree with the statement it is Schiit's most euphonic amp?
I know this is a bit off topic, but what’s the best way to connect an iPhone 8+ to the dac section of the lyr3? I was thinking just usb hub and plug my iPhone cable into it, but not sure if there’s a better way, can’t seem to find any lightning to usb type b connectors besides the “iconnectivity cable” which has some weird block thing in between the cable which makes me think it’s only compatible with the iconnectivity device, plus it’s 40$.

I use this with my iPhone 8 and mimby. Works great.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD821AM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter

Apr 10, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #399 of 3,350
Apr 10, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #400 of 3,350

2LwbyhU.jpg

Thanks for the clarification, Winder would know. Regardless, I’m enjoying the Sylvania, Lyr 3, and Abyss immensely!

Apr 10, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #401 of 3,350

Unfortunately there’s no way around it. You definitely need the CCK cable.

Apr 10, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #402 of 3,350
For people that own/have heard Lyr 3 Multibit, would you agree with the statement it is Schiit's most euphonic amp?
euphonic
[yoo-fon-ik]
adjective
  1. pertaining to or characterized by euphony
euphony
[yoo-fuh-nee]
noun, plural eu·pho·nies.
  1. agreeableness of sound; pleasing effect to the ear, especially a pleasant sounding or harmonious combination or succession of words:the majestic euphony of Milton's poetry.
-----------------

Ok, with that out of the way, I'd like to say the word, and entire question, is rather vague. The answer is: I neither agree or disagree.

I know some who did not like the Lyr 3 because it was too "in your face". I like it because it's very impactful and energetic. What lead to the differing opinions? Everything else in the audio chain and personal preference.

The person I mentioned tried it with an HD800, a bright tube, and a DAC which is rather lean for my tastes.

My chain uses the ZMF Eikons, a fairly neutral tube, and Mimby.

I'll bet if we swapped setups, our opinions would change too.

So, if what you are actually asking is whether you should or should not buy the Lyr 3, my answer will be: How the heck would I know. If you want euphony - specifically the "harmonious combination" of headphone, dac and amps - then give me more information about your setup, and I might be able to help you.

:L3000:

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #403 of 3,350
euphonic
[yoo-fon-ik]
adjective
  1. pertaining to or characterized by euphony
euphony
[yoo-fuh-nee]
noun, plural eu·pho·nies.
  1. agreeableness of sound; pleasing effect to the ear, especially a pleasant sounding or harmonious combination or succession of words:the majestic euphony of Milton's poetry.
-----------------

Ok, with that out of the way, I'd like to say the word, and entire question, is rather vague. The answer is: it depends.

I know some who did not like the Lyr 3 because it was too "in your face". I like it because it's very impactful and energetic. What lead to the differing opinions? Everything else in the audio chain and personal preference.

The person I mentioned tried it with an HD800, a bright tube, and a DAC which is rather lean for my tastes.

My chain uses the ZMF Eikons, a fairly neutral tube, and Mimby.

I'll bet if we swapped setups, our opinions would change too.

So, if what you are actually asking is whether you should or should not buy the Lyr 3, my answer will be: How the heck would I know. If you want euphony - specifically the "harmonious combination" of headphone, dac and amps - then give me more information about your setup, and I might be able to help you.

:L3000:

I just wanted to know if people were hearing the same things I heard, and if they would classify what they heard the same way I would subjectively.

Personally, I hear Lyr 3 as less impactful than MJ2, but I like you say, it's relative. Lyr 3 is dramatically more impactful than Vali 2.

As far as if I should buy Lyr 3, ack, it's hard. It clearly sounds different than MJ2, but given that MJ2 is so good, I think I might feel stupid. I have some annoyance with how impactful MJ2 is, and perhaps like you say, I should just change something else in the chain. Pickup some LCD2C's or HD650's to support my HD800's. Already using Mimby, which I'm happy with.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #404 of 3,350
Just got my Lyr 3. Out of the box, with a Sylvania 6SN7W or Sylvania 6SN7GT "Bad Boy", I like it better with my stock HD650 headphones than the MJ2 with WE396A tubes (my favorite tubes for the MJ2 by far) and an XLR cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back