Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
Apr 11, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #421 of 3,350
So far between the stock Tung Sol, mouse ear Tung Sol, sylvania bad boy and 1950s staggered plate rca, I’m enjoying the rca the most. Granted, none of the tubes even have an hour on them, and the amp may have just over an hour on it...going to stick with the rca for a bit to let it and the amp break in some. Atleast until my rca grey glass comes in to try. Definitely an amp you can put just about any tube in and enjoy, I wasn’t disappointed with any of the tubes, just preference the warmth of the rca.

Apr 12, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #422 of 3,350
Warning, I’m about to go full Fan Boi on Schiit.....with 4 days of playing music and remaining on 24/7, I truly believe the Lyr 3 is one of the greatest bargains in ahead Fi!

Listening to David Byrne, “Live in Austin” with the Focal Clear, a fantastic headphone,though I’d always thought headstage was its greatest deficit. What I’m hearing this morning is the same great tonality, dynamics and speed, I expect with the Clear, but also a deep, broad (narrower than the Abyss, HD800), stage.

Apr 12, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #423 of 3,350
Warning, I’m about to go full Fan Boi on Schiit.....with 4 days of playing music and remaining on 24/7, I truly believe the Lyr 3 is one of the greatest bargains in ahead Fi!

Listening to David Byrne, “Live in Austin” with the Focal Clear, a fantastic headphone,though I’d always thought headstage was its greatest deficit. What I’m hearing this morning is the same great tonality, dynamics and speed, I expect with the Clear, but also a deep, broad (narrower than the Abyss, HD800), stage.
I am right there with ya! I get blown away every time, I use my Lyr 3. It just keeps getting better. I am reaching the 100 hour mark, and it is really settling in and continues to impress. LIve recordings are so real sounding, it is scary :L3000:

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #424 of 3,350
I am right there with ya! I get blown away every time, I use my Lyr 3. It just keeps getting better. I am reaching the 100 hour mark, and it is really settling in and continues to impress. LIve recordings are so real sounding, it is scary :L3000:

It truly is one of the greatest bargains in Head Fi, hopefully @Tyll Hertsens will be reviewing one soon!

Apr 12, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #425 of 3,350
I finally had time to let the amp/multibit warm up for about an hour last night before listening and it’s definately a difference. Quite a bit smoother and more detailed then cold starts with it. Anyone using this amp/dac with tidal? What bitrate setting do you use? I had it on 16/44.1 which I believe is tidals native. But switched to 24/196 to see if I could hear a difference and besides a quieter noise floor it sounded the same to my ears. Some of the tracks that had a bit of background hiss/krackle did not have this anymore.

Apr 12, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #426 of 3,350
Just got an E-Mail from Schiit, my LYR3 has shipped!!!
Going out for dinner to friends house to celebrate!!!

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #427 of 3,350
Just got an E-Mail from Schiit, my LYR3 has shipped!!!
Going out for dinner to friends house to celebrate!!!

I look forward to reading your impressions!

Apr 12, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #428 of 3,350
I finally had time to let the amp/multibit warm up for about an hour last night before listening and it’s definately a difference. Quite a bit smoother and more detailed then cold starts with it. Anyone using this amp/dac with tidal? What bitrate setting do you use? I had it on 16/44.1 which I believe is tidals native. But switched to 24/196 to see if I could hear a difference and besides a quieter noise floor it sounded the same to my ears. Some of the tracks that had a bit of background hiss/krackle did not have this anymore.
I configure Tidal to use the DAC directly in exclusive mode, this way Tidal sets the sample rate as needed (24/44.1 for most content and 24/96 for "Master" files (MQA)).

Apr 12, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #429 of 3,350
As promised. From Top to bottom.
1) Raytheon 6SN7GTB flat black plates, round mica, top getter.
2) Stock NOS Russian 6H8C
3) Sylvania "Chrome Dome" 6SN7GTB angled black T plates, round mica, foil getter.
4) KenRad VT-231 black glass, bottom getter
5) NP TungSol 6SN7GTB from Schiit
6) KenRad VT-231, angled black plates, bottom getter
7) RCA Grey Glass VT-231

Top two:
Westinghouse 6SN7GTB flat black plate, top horseshoe getter (breaking in now)
TungSol 6SN7GTB, angled T plates, top horseshoe getter

My preferred list changed.

2) TungSol 6SN7GTB, angled T plates, top horseshoe getter, 1950's era
3) Stock NOS Russian 6H8C
3) Westinghouse 6SN7GTB flat black plate, top horseshoe getter
5) Sylvania "Chrome Dome" 6SN7GTB angled black T plates, round mica, foil getter.
6) NP TungSol 6SN7GTB from Schiit
7) KenRad VT-231 black glass, bottom getter

Tung-Sol put in #2 place. Very similar to the Raytheon. Less bass presence, but very slightly wider soundstage.

Westinghouse tied for 3rd. Neutral. Impactful. I can't decide if I like it's neutrality more than the slight color I get with the stock NOS tube or not. Called it a tie at the end of the day.

Swapped #6 and 7. The KenRad fatigues me with the treble over a longer listening sessions.

#8 - Removed. Too gooey even for me. Sorry RCA fans. Still, might be good for taming Beyer DT990 Premium / T1 "treble-spike-of-auditory-murder". Would probably drive ZMF Atticus / Sony Z1R headphones into ultra-goo mode (not recommended, as cranial leakage would ensue).

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #430 of 3,350
My preferred list changed.

2) TungSol 6SN7GTB, angled T plates, top horseshoe getter, 1950's era
3) Stock NOS Russian 6H8C
3) Westinghouse 6SN7GTB flat black plate, top horseshoe getter
5) Sylvania "Chrome Dome" 6SN7GTB angled black T plates, round mica, foil getter.
6) NP TungSol 6SN7GTB from Schiit
7) KenRad VT-231 black glass, bottom getter

Tung-Sol put in #2 place. Very similar to the Raytheon. Less bass presence, but very slightly wider soundstage.

Westinghouse tied for 3rd. Neutral. Impactful. I can't decide if I like it's neutrality more than the slight color I get with the stock NOS tube or not. Called it a tie at the end of the day.

Swapped #6 and 7. The KenRad fatigues me with the treble over a longer listening sessions.

#8 - Removed. Too gooey even for me. Sorry RCA fans. Still, might be good for taming Beyer DT990 Premium / T1 "treble-spike-of-auditory-murder". Would probably drive ZMF Atticus / Sony Z1R headphones into ultra-goo mode (not recommended, as cranial leakage would ensue).
Between #1 and #2 - can you summarize the differences (and compare to the stock Russian that comes with the Lyr3 by default)?
Also, between #1 and #2 - which one is easier to find and/or cheaper to buy?

Apr 12, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #432 of 3,350
Between #1 and #2 - can you summarize the differences (and compare to the stock Russian that comes with the Lyr3 by default)?
Also, between #1 and #2 - which one is easier to find and/or cheaper to buy?
I'll have to address your first question later, but the Raytheon was cheaper. About $20 vs the $35 I spent on the TS.

Apr 12, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #434 of 3,350
I've been using mine mostly as a preamp and it's great. I've ordered a Saga on the assumption that it's going to sound very similar (also want the remote in the living room).
The Saga is a lot more flexible and a lot less expensive. Why use the lyr as a preamp?

Apr 12, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #435 of 3,350
The Saga is a lot more flexible and a lot less expensive. Why use the lyr as a preamp?
Different rooms and different uses! In my library/listening room, I have my turntable and I sit close to both the Lyr and the 'table, so I can use either headphones or speakers. That was actually a big reason for getting it, because it fits what I wanted to do pretty perfectly: have a preamp with line in (for my DAC), phono stage, and headamp!

The setup in my living room is different, there I never use the headphone amp in the integrated amp I currently have, and neither do I use most of its other features (or power), so I'm replacing it with a Saga and a little Parasound power amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back