Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
Apr 9, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #361 of 3,350
excellent advice, thank you.

Also, if i did get the Bifrost 4490, I believe I can always add the Multibit card later.

Looks like the 4490 and Lyr3 could be viable options.

Still like the idea of a one box solution and the Lyr3 Multi is cost effective and may be best for the HD800 cans.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #362 of 3,350
Apr 9, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #363 of 3,350
Lyr 3 + Mimby.

Or - and this may be unpopular - the Bifrost 4490. It's actually a pretty solid sounding DAC. You get Gen5 usb, matching chassis size, and better laid out 4490 implementation.** I know most people have it hard-wired in their brains to go multibit, and for the HD800 I would strongly consider it.

With that said, I've never been enamored by the Bimby vs Mimby especially for the price vs performance difference. Having had both at the same time, I'd be damned if I could suggest a $600 DAC vs a $250 one just to get the "next level" multibit or to get a stackable chassis.

I ordered my Lyr 3 with the internal multibit card, and directly compared it to the Mimby. Mimby gives you better sound stage and better input options. You can keep it powered on all the time too, which MB needs to sound uniform. (It has a warm up time before sound stabilizes.) For the extra $50, it's a no brainer.

Also, and don't take this wrong, but it seems like you should do more homework. The Lyr 3 vs Valhalla 2 are completely different sounding amps. You should decide which will provide a better sound synergy with your headphones, not buy one amp or the other based on price and/or size.

Disclaimer - I've heard the Valhalla 2 quite a few times, but have never owned it. Same thing with the HD800.

My money would be on the Lyr 3 given my experience with both of those amps.

Just my 2 cents.

** Edits in italics.

Isn’t the multibit card powered always since it’s usb only?(granted your pc is powered on)...or does it use separate power within the lyr3?

Apr 9, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #364 of 3,350
Isn’t the multibit card powered always since it’s usb only?(granted your pc is powered on)...or does it use separate power within the lyr3?
I've heard both, but I believe it has separate internal power from the amp. The USB section might derive it's power from the usb bus, but i don't think the DAC itself does. Not 100% on this, so don't quote me.

Apr 9, 2018 at 11:24 PM Post #367 of 3,350
Even if the USB section gets its power from the +5vdc USB pin, the multibit DAC would get its power from the the power section of the amp. So no, the multibit DAC is not always getting power if it is plugged into USB. It will be cold when turned on.

Apr 10, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #368 of 3,350
I would be very interested in your impressions upon receipt.

Will do, received my Sylvania chrome domes, Sylvania bad boys, mouse ear Tung Sol and 50s side getter rca’s today to try in it, sucks getting all the accessories b4 the toy lol

Apr 10, 2018 at 7:23 AM Post #369 of 3,350
I purchased my Bimby RIGHT before (maybe a month or two) before Mimby came out. Do I have USB 5?

Right now, I'm running Bimby to Wyrd to a Garage 1217 Polaris. I used to have a Chameleon for my HE-500, but it broke.

How big a step up is Lyr3 over Polaris?

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #370 of 3,350
Update on the Sylvania “Bad Boy,” it’s clean, clear, and accurate, while remaining true to tone and timbres. Want to hear things deep in the mix that you never have before, but not be assaulted by etched highs, this is your Tube.

Apr 10, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #372 of 3,350
You can buy generic white boxes.

Apr 10, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #375 of 3,350

Users who are viewing this thread

Back