Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
Sep 4, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #2,836 of 3,356
Thanks. I think it'll keep me satisfied for a good while.
Impossible.

There's always "strange" over the periphery.

Humans aren't hardwired to be "satisfied".

Sep 4, 2021 at 10:29 PM Post #2,837 of 3,356
Thanks. I think it'll keep me satisfied for a good while.
Yep, I remember when I thought it would satisfy me to have this awesome thing or that awesome thing, then I discovered, there were more awesome things more awesome than the last thing. It's tiring chasing the awesome thing and never being satisfied with the awesome thing I just acquired...

I love, hate these forums, it's very expensive to be here!:deadhorse:

Sep 4, 2021 at 10:53 PM Post #2,838 of 3,356
Yep, I remember when I thought it would satisfy me to have this awesome thing or that awesome thing, then I discovered, there were more awesome things more awesome than the last thing. It's tiring chasing the awesome thing and never being satisfied with the awesome thing I just acquired...

I concur. I was very satisfied by the Shug and then I heard a 50s era MELZ on the Lyr and down the rolling rabbit hole I went again.

Sep 4, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #2,839 of 3,356

I feel broke just scrolling through this thread. I've already gone through a couple headphones, DACs, and amps in the past year and a half, so I guess I should know better about having to chase that sound. Tube rolling is a whole new rabbit hole for me.

Sep 8, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #2,840 of 3,356
Anyone compare this to the Asgard 2 or even the old Vali 2?

Sep 8, 2021 at 10:03 PM Post #2,841 of 3,356
Anyone compare this to the Asgard 2 or even the old Vali 2?
I have all three, and Lyr trounces everything in terms of detail and soundstage. There isn’t a lot of difference in tubes, to be frank, but my ears still have a favourite (Psvane). Asgard 2 has more character than Asgard 3, but doggone the 2 puts out some serious heat. I travel with Vali 2 in my carryon, and it’s so good I won’t be parting with it anywhen. More variance in tube rolling, as well. But Lyr has them all, as it should. It drives planars and Beyers effortlessly, and sounds amazing.

Sep 9, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #2,842 of 3,356
Thank you for the info.

I'm currently looking for a full sized amp to pair with my EE Odins for bedroom listening. I have been switching between Gilmore Lite Mk2, Cayin iHA-6 & Asgard 2 and each have their strengths/weaknesses. The Odins, being very revealing, are amp picky and though I get good to great sound with them out of all of these amps, I'm still missing the last bit of magic. So I'm looking at various full sized amps to find that; specifically this, the Burson Funk and 3 Flux models.

I remember being fond of the Vali 2 (mine quit working years ago; I did replace the tube which didn't fix it) so I'm interested in another hybrid from Schiit. I'm looking for a "neutral-warm" sound signature with all the benefits of SS & tube and a good level of excitement or engagement and power. Yes, power: I know the EE Odins are just IEMs of course, but I can really tell how much power the Cayin iHA-6 (my most powerful amp) has when using them with it; it sounds authoritative, with great PRaT and an expansive/deep stage compared to the Gilmore & Asgard. (The problem is that I find the Cayin's overall timbre is dry and its highs can be glarey, glassy, etchy and even metallicy. It's not awful, but it is distracting).

Sep 9, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #2,843 of 3,356
Thank you for the info.

I'm currently looking for a full sized amp to pair with my EE Odins for bedroom listening. I have been switching between Gilmore Lite Mk2, Cayin iHA-6 & Asgard 2 and each have their strengths/weaknesses. The Odins, being very revealing, are amp picky and though I get good to great sound with them out of all of these amps, I'm still missing the last bit of magic. So I'm looking at various full sized amps to find that; specifically this, the Burson Funk and 3 Flux models.

I remember being fond of the Vali 2 (mine quit working years ago; I did replace the tube which didn't fix it) so I'm interested in another hybrid from Schiit. I'm looking for a "neutral-warm" sound signature with all the benefits of SS & tube and a good level of excitement or engagement and power. Yes, power: I know the EE Odins are just IEMs of course, but I can really tell how much power the Cayin iHA-6 (my most powerful amp) has when using them with it; it sounds authoritative, with great PRaT and an expansive/deep stage compared to the Gilmore & Asgard. (The problem is that I find the Cayin's overall timbre is dry and its highs can be glarey, glassy, etchy and even metallicy. It's not awful, but it is distracting).
Lyr 3.

Sep 10, 2021 at 12:30 AM Post #2,844 of 3,356

I'm going to sit on the decision for awhile (I really should sell some gear first), but I do like reading (somewhere) that the vocals are forward in the mix on the Lyr 3. I also like the looks of a tube. And the price is a bit better than any of the Flux (the main other contenders) amps I'm looking at.

Sep 10, 2021 at 12:42 AM Post #2,845 of 3,356
I'm going to sit on the decision for awhile (I really should sell some gear first), but I do like reading (somewhere) that the vocals are forward in the mix on the Lyr 3. I also like the looks of a tube. And the price is a bit better than any of the Flux (the main other contenders) amps I'm looking at.
Also, the choices of tube will give you different ‘flavours’ or perspectives: bass full/lean, midrange forward/back, soundstage narrow/wide…

Sep 10, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #2,846 of 3,356

I read some encouraging news yesterday. It seems like at least a few Bifrost 2 owners are having trouble with their units after 4 or 5 months.

That's a slimmer of hope that might make me hesitate to get a Bifrost 2. Or maybe I will try my luck just the same.

Sep 10, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #2,848 of 3,356
Lately I've been using my Lyr 3 with the new Psvane 6SN7 'Tennis ball' tube. This tube sounds good to my ears. I've been using this with my Focal Elegia and I'm really enjoying the combo.
I'm using the same amp combo, I'm thinking about putting my bad boy back in

Sep 10, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #2,849 of 3,356
Lately I've been using my Lyr 3 with the new Psvane 6SN7 'Tennis ball' tube. This tube sounds good to my ears. I've been using this with my Focal Elegia and I'm really enjoying the combo.
Will you still serve up the tennis ball tube after the US Open finishes?…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back