Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
Apr 12, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #1,966 of 3,350
I got Lyr 3 last week and have been enjoying it with Empyrean. However I read so many reports of LYR 3 damaging headphones. I am not much of electrical engineer but doesn't it have some protective mecahnism to not let any surge go to headphone and damaging it in the process. Also am I in greater risk running an expensive headphone out of Lyr3?
First I am hearing about "many" reports, of damaging headphones? If you are worried, just plug in the headphones, after startup, and unplug before shutdown.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #1,967 of 3,350
I only know of 2 cases where Lyr 3 has taken out a headphone, and those were some time ago. If this was a wide-spread issue, I think there would be many more people reporting it in this thread and folks would be outside Schiit offices with pitch-forks and torches. :wink:

Apr 12, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #1,968 of 3,350
Thanks guys good to know we don't have any recent incidents. I really like how my Empyrean pairs with Lyr3. I like HD800and 600 out of LP but Empyrean pairs better with Lyr 3 then LP.

Apr 12, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #1,969 of 3,350
I only know of 2 cases where Lyr 3 has taken out a headphone, and those were some time ago. If this was a wide-spread issue, I think there would be many more people reporting it in this thread and folks would be outside Schiit offices with pitch-forks and torches. :wink:
Yep. Those are the only 2 I know of.

Apr 20, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #1,971 of 3,350
I recently picked up a used Lyr3 to downgrade from EC ZDS, and I gotta say, it's ... good enough! (haha)

setup: Soekris 1541 > Lyr 3 > Verite/ UERR

-Small stage but decent layering and imaging
- neutral-ish tonality with really good treble presentation
- versatility; It was able to drive my UERR and Verite both fine with plenty of headroom

Obviously it doesn't quite match up my previous setup (Yggy + ZDS) but it'll suffice for now until I crave for something else :)

Has anyone tried the Psvane 6SN7 with the Lyr3? Would appreciate any input/ impressions on the pairing!

Apr 20, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #1,972 of 3,350
I recently picked up a used Lyr3 to downgrade from EC ZDS, and I gotta say, it's ... good enough! (haha)

- versatility; It was able to drive my UERR and Verite both fine with plenty of headroom

Obviously it doesn't quite match up my previous setup (Yggy + ZDS) but it'll suffice for now until I crave for something else :)

Has anyone tried the Psvane 6SN7 with the Lyr3? Would appreciate any input/ impressions on the pairing!

I got the same setup just with a HD800 instead, if your handy with a soldering iron, and don't mind following proper power on/off sequence you can remove the muting FETs from the soekris, they degrade the low level details a little, and is a common tweak done on the 1021/1941 boards from soekris.

Or alternatively if your not willing to do that, you can experiment with flashing different filters to the soekris dac, or trying out HQplayer upsampling to 352/384.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #1,973 of 3,350
I got the same setup just with a HD800 instead, if your handy with a soldering iron, and don't mind following proper power on/off sequence you can remove the muting FETs from the soekris, they degrade the low level details a little, and is a common tweak done on the 1021/1941 boards from soekris.

Or alternatively if your not willing to do that, you can experiment with flashing different filters to the soekris dac, or trying out HQplayer upsampling to 352/384.

oh wow, interesting! I have no idea what FETs are but is there a link where I can read up and learn about the mod?

I've updated the firmware recently, but I have yet to try adding the new filters. Is HQplayer the one you prefer out of all the community-based filters? I heard the Nyquist and NOS filters are pretty good as well

Apr 20, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #1,974 of 3,350
oh wow, interesting! I have no idea what FETs are but is there a link where I can read up and learn about the mod?

I've updated the firmware recently, but I have yet to try adding the new filters. Is HQplayer the one you prefer out of all the community-based filters? I heard the Nyquist and NOS filters are pretty good as well

Yeah I prefer upsampling via HQplayer , as for the muting fets they are the the 3-pin sot23 on the TP9-TP12 traces after the resistor array, information about the tweak is buried somewhere in the r2r board reference thread on diyaudio, but you should try out first the filter posted here: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/dig...6-filter-brewing-soekris-r2r-post5726148.html or a trial period of HQplayer to see what you like best.

That filter i linked has the DC filter removed some people reported positive gains in the SQ by removing it.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2019 at 11:28 PM Post #1,975 of 3,350
You mean the Psvane 6SN7-UK or the Psvane 6SN6-SE? I've used both on my Lyr 3. I'd say the SE is slightly smoother, the UK somewhat punchier. Right now, I have the SE on my other amp (Apex Peak), and I have a Reliatron D-getter vintage tube on the Lyr 3. I've not done really careful side-by-sides, but my overall impression is that the D-getter improves the Lyr 3 stage beyond the Psvane tubes. All of those, though are quite an improvement on the new Tung-Sol I got with the Lyr 3. All of the above with a Metrum Onyx NOS DAC. My hunch (I own a dac1541 but it's at work with a solid-state amp and I've not brought it home to do a side-by-side) is that these hybrid 6SN7 amps (Lyr 3 and Apex Peak) pair especially well with the bolder colors of a good NOS DAC.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2019 at 11:34 PM Post #1,976 of 3,350
You mean the Psvane 6SN7-UK or the Psvane 6SN6-SE? I've used both on my Lyr 3. I'd say the SE is slightly smoother, the UK somewhat punchier. Right now, I have the SE on my other amp (Apex Peak), and I have a Reliatron D-getter vintage tube on the Lyr 3. I've not done really careful side-by-sides, but my overall impression is that the D-getter improves the Lyr 3 stage beyond the Psvane tubes. All of those, though are quite an improvement on the new Tung-Sol I got with the Lyr 3.

oh I had no idea there were 2 different versions, my bad!

Thank you for your input! it sounds like the UK is the one I am looking for because I thought the Lyr 3's bass sounded a bit soft for my taste with the stock tubes

Apr 21, 2019 at 11:44 PM Post #1,977 of 3,350
oh I had no idea there were 2 different versions, my bad!

Thank you for your input! it sounds like the UK is the one I am looking for because I thought the Lyr 3's bass sounded a bit soft for my taste with the stock tubes
Yes, the UK may get the Lyr 3 closer to what you seek. For my taste -- with MrSpeakers Ether C Flow 1.1 -- the Reliatron D-getter tube is the best all-round fit, but I should not use it too much, as they are hard to replace :/

Apr 22, 2019 at 2:58 AM Post #1,978 of 3,350

What tube have you got in the Lyr3 now?

Apr 22, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #1,980 of 3,350
Does the Lyr 3 exhibit the same metallic and lean timbre at the highs as the most Schiit amps?
Nope. The tube implementation, is magical.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back