Lying down wearing headphones - does the sound quality change?
Dec 8, 2012 at 3:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

cactus_farmer

1000+ Head-Fier
Does lying down with headphones (assuming you're lying down on a very hard pillow so the pillow doesn't dislodge the headphones) change the sound quality vs sitting down with headphones?

Maybe the clamp force is affected so there is less bass?

This is kinda what I think I'm hearing, but can't tell if it's my imagination or not...

Have you guys noticed anything?

Dec 8, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #2 of 4
The only thing I do know is that I usually wear the headband really far down, like even below my frontal hairline on my forehead, otherwise my phones dont fit like ****.

That might matter, since the earcups are a bit lower because the headband is obviously up too high to fit on my forehead. And the pads are angled, but in that scenario in the wrong way since I'm wearing them like 90 degrees different. Never noticed a difference though

Dec 8, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #3 of 4
Depends on the headphones in question, and how much they clamp to your head and their design (open or closed). For example I can lie down wearing my PRO2900 and it doesn't matter, unless I lie on my side, and cover the vents (they're an open headphone) with the pillow or whatever I'm laying on. Same for the HD 580. But headphones that barely clamp, like the ESP/950 or K701, will usually shift (even if there is a pillow to resist them falling off, they will still shift downwards), and will also be affected by being covered. Clampy *and* closed headphones should have no issues, aside from comfort. An example here would be the ATH-M50.

Note that I don't sleep with headphones on, I do however relax in a reclining chair with them from time to time. So my observations should be considered in that light if you're trying to find a pair of cans to sleep with.

Jan 12, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #4 of 4
Does lying down with headphones (assuming you're lying down on a very hard pillow so the pillow doesn't dislodge the headphones) change the sound quality vs sitting down with headphones?

Maybe the clamp force is affected so there is less bass?

This is kinda what I think I'm hearing, but can't tell if it's my imagination or not...

Have you guys noticed anything?

Better late than never :)

I have this with iems too. Less bass. I know it's not the seal, but I will keep testing and listening. Nothing like getting up at 0100 to get foam plugs!
Of couse after googling headfi less bass laying down.
At least I'm not completely dumb. Or am I?

I hate this hobby sometimes. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back