Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Mar 16, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #1,036 of 5,299
Just helped a fellow head-fier fix a Windows driver issue. If you are using Surface Pro (X86 version) and cannot use your W2 with it, please download and install this driver. I got it from LP directly and it has worked with the head-fier.

In general, if you cannot get W2 to work with your PC, try installing the driver first, and then install and run the FW update tool. I have consolidated the related information in post #1 of this thread.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #1,037 of 5,299
PSX_20210317_090513.jpg

White cable doesn't look right with a black device. Besides, the cable does look a little cheap and on the flimsy side of thing.
I must be in the minority here, but I like the cables: as an iOS/Apple user, like forever, I’m used to the white cables, and L&P’s implementation matches Apple’s cables perfectly, right down to the matching plastic shrouds and the texture of the cable itself. I like the cable! Don’t shoot the messenger :wink:

Mar 16, 2021 at 10:50 PM Post #1,038 of 5,299
Want to share some interesting new products, especially for those who are considering purchasing a small dongle like the Lotoo PAW S1.

Update: see post #43 for a first impression! :)

Update 2: see post #180 for English user manual and instructions.

Update 3: see post #304 for firmware version check and firmware update tools. Post #1036 contains a driver for Microsoft Surface Pro (X86), which could be useful for some other Windows PCs. In general, if you cannot get W2 to work with your PC, try installing the driver first, and then install and run the FW update tool. So far, the firmware update tool is only available for Windows. Mac support is on the way.

Luxury & Precision (LP) is launching its Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2; W1 has 1 DAC chip and W2 has 2. For some of you who may be hearing this brand for the first time, LP made their name by producing high-end R2R DAP P6.

Both devices come in two outputs: 3.5mm and 4.4mm. The 3.5mm output is also a SPDIF output, allowing it to be used purely as a DAC and connect with other AMPs.

What is insane about these two products is the crazily low noise levels and huge output power. I cannot post the link to the other forum, but if you are interested just google the product names and you will see the measurements. Long story short, based purely on the measurements, it outperforms many desktop devices... Of course, we will need to wait for the actual products to tell whether it sounds good or not.

Some data for its power level (the third party measured numbers rather than OEM-supplied numbers):
Balanced:
32Ω 235mw
Single-ended:
32Ω: 125mw

W1 retails for 199 USD and W2 retails for 299 USD. Both W1 and W2 are now ready for order! Their advertisements suggest that the prices already include two cables in the box: one USB C-to-C and one USB C-to-lightening.
Just ordered it for use on Windows 10 laptop to play music videos from Tidal. Currently using Beam 2 dongle. Hoping to hear improvements when using 64Audio Trio iem and 4.4balanced double helix cable.

Mar 16, 2021 at 10:53 PM Post #1,039 of 5,299
Just ordered it for use on Windows 10 laptop to play music videos from Tidal. Currently using Beam 2 dongle. Hoping to hear improvements when using 64Audio Trio iem and 4.4balanced double helix cable.
Welcome to the club! I hope you will receive it soon and enjoy it.

Mar 16, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #1,041 of 5,299
I must be in the minority here, but I like the cables: as an iOS/Apple user, like forever, I’m used to the white cables, and L&P’s implementation matches Apple’s cables perfectly, right down to the matching plastic shrouds and the texture of the cable itself. I like the cable! Don’t shoot the messenger :wink:

My problem with Apple cable is that, under frequent use, the strain relief part of the cable always split and fail after awhile because they are thin. If it has to be white, at least make a more robust cable as a cable on a type-C adapter will see more banding and stress than a regular data / charging cable.

Mar 16, 2021 at 11:54 PM Post #1,042 of 5,299
Just helped a fellow head-fier fix a Windows driver issue. If you are using Surface Pro (X86 version) and cannot use your W2 with it, please download and install this driver. I got it from LP directly and it has worked with the head-fier.

In general, if you cannot get W2 to work with your PC, try installing the driver first, and then install and run the FW update tool. I have consolidated the related information in post #1 of this thread.
I just took a look at this driver package. It appears to contain a USB audio driver from a company named Comtrue Inc. and it does include both native Windows drivers as well as an ASIO driver. Unfortunately the ASIO driver seems to be incompatible with JRiver and the native Windows driver exhibit the same problem as the build-in Windows 10 USB audio driver. DSD data in DOP format streams to the device which detects it and displays DSD 2822.4K but there is no sound from the device. This looks like a firmware issue.

I will uninstall this custom driver go back to the Windows 10 Built-in USB audio driver and wait for a firmware update. This driver will be useful for older versions of Windows that did lack a generic USB audio 2 driver.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2021 at 11:55 PM Post #1,043 of 5,299
Despite my posts being so enthusiastic about the W2 I really was skeptical that it would be better than the portable USB DACs I had collected over the last couple of years. In fairness, I never bought the higher end, but rather collected the mid-tier (xDSD, NX4 DSD, DF Cobalt, Monolith THX portable, Micro iDSD BL) but I spent today comparing those DACs connected to my iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 (USB-C) with the W2 (using IER-Z1R for all).

***The W2 was the best sounding DAC***

Seriously. No question for me IMHO. I played Redbook and MQA via TIDAL; I played Hi-Res up to 192kHz via Qobuz. The W2 out-performed my battery-powered external DACs. I can’t see a reason to ever use those DACs again on the iPad when this dongle sounds better, and due to its size and lack of a battery, is way more convenient. I had more volume range on the W2 too.

Now, my portable DAC/Amps don‘t have the power of a C9 or Diablo, so volume range isn’t really a useful metric. But pure sound quality is, and the W2 sounded better than all my DACs connected to the same source with the same headphones. I still don‘t fully believe it: how can something this small with no battery power sound this good and this powerful? This is the future for IEM users, not the C9. You don’t need more amplification for IEMs than what the W2 provides. [Caveat: the C9 can bring some tube magic to the equation though if that’s your thing.]

I also have 2 DAPs, Sony ZX507 and FiiO M11 Pro (again, mid-tier, not high-end DAPs), that I compared to the W2/iPad combo. Note: UAPP recently released an update that allows the ZX507 to play bit-perfect* out to the proprietary Sony DAC (*almost: it zero-pads everything to 32bit but honors the sample rate). The M11 Pro allows bit-perfect for 3rd-party apps since a couple of firmware updates ago.

In summary, the W2/iPad combo was better than the ZX507, but the M11 Pro was equal in performance to the W2/iPad. I should note that this is typical for the ZX507: 3rd-party app performance does not sound as good as it‘s native Walkman Music player app. So, my caveat is I played locally stored FLAC on the native ZX507 app vs streamed music on the iPad/W2 setup and the Sony local playback was unsurprisingly better (Sony apps with locally stored music is hard to beat on any Sony DAP).

TLDR and jumped to the end: this W2 (connected to an iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 USB-C connection [no lightning connections here]) was really awesome compared to some mid-tire USB DACs I own.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2021 at 2:14 AM Post #1,044 of 5,299
PSX_20210317_090513.jpg

White cable doesn't look right with a black device. Besides, the cable does look a little cheap and on the flimsy side of thing.
What happend here?? A high end/TOTL dongle dac that cost a premium and then they cheaped out on the cable that doesnt match the W2 at all and also that has a flimsy connector?

Some compromize or last minute changes must have happend, cause this doesnt look right at all. Doesnt look luxury or precision over that.

They should sell one in black

Mar 17, 2021 at 4:24 AM Post #1,045 of 5,299
The w2 drove my MMR Thummim nearly as well as my mega buck desktop setup and the thing is smaller than a pack of gum. Amazing.

Was hoping to run iPhone - w2 (as DAC) - woo wa11 (as amp) to Abyss Diana Phi. Which input (balanced line in or DAC and what kind of cable would that be?

Attachments

• 2E83FBBF-66EB-4E8C-A80B-5350C8C455AD.jpeg
    2E83FBBF-66EB-4E8C-A80B-5350C8C455AD.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Mar 17, 2021 at 4:32 AM Post #1,046 of 5,299
The w2 drove my MMR Thummim nearly as well as my mega buck desktop setup and the thing is smaller than a pack of gum. Amazing.

Was hoping to run iPhone - w2 (as DAC) - woo wa11 (as amp) to Abyss Diana Phi. Which input (balanced line in or DAC and what kind of cable would that be?
As W2 only has USB-C input and not output, that can only be the balanced port.
So you'll need some balanced 4,4mm to 4,4mm interconnect cable.
Looking forward to your findings.
Am myself going to try pairing with Auriolus BA300S tube amp once it arrived

Mar 17, 2021 at 4:34 AM Post #1,047 of 5,299
I really have to say that dongle is outstanding.
I can even enjoy Spotify without feeling to compromise on my IEM.
It sounds natural, resolving and not clinical, no overblown bass but is delivering when called for.
I know such a performance of good tuning only from TOTL DAPs so far or I am just lucky that my IEM is having a very good synergy in contrast to other pairings I have tried before.
After retuning the Paw S1 I have to say there's more than MQA, it's more about implementation/tuning of DAC and amp section I suppose.
What I mean is that a good tuned DAC/Amp will imho sound better than a technically blown DAC with bad synergy making frequencies recessed or blown up, etc.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2021 at 4:48 AM Post #1,048 of 5,299
That makes sense. Thank you so much.

For IEMs I couldn’t imagine a better pound for pound DAC/amp. I live in Hawaii and was looking for something lightweight for hiking/jogging and while the Fioo BTR5 is good, it obviously not as resolving as a properly wired DAC/amp. I tried dongles like the Audirect Beam and the AQ Cobalt but while the DACs were good they felt wimpy with a moderate impedance IEM like the Thummim or the Noble Kaiser K10. The W2 is the best of both worlds for IEMs - resolving and punchy.

But when puttering around the house you may want to swap out the IEMs for headphones.
The Wa11 is powerful enough to drive even my Abyss Diana Phi and ZMF Verite Closed but the DAC section was always the Achilles heel. Hopefully getting a proper interconnect will fix that.

Mar 17, 2021 at 5:46 AM Post #1,049 of 5,299
I also don't like the white cable - but i also feel it is too small - so i have a black u-green cable and the sound is exactly the same as with the white cable (or the W1 black cable for the matter). I solved my problem like that - and the other benefit (and main reason for buying the U-Green) was that the connector to the Smartphone is 90 degrees turned and so avoiding any potential damages.

U-green.jpg

Mar 17, 2021 at 5:48 AM Post #1,050 of 5,299
That makes sense. Thank you so much.

For IEMs I couldn’t imagine a better pound for pound DAC/amp. I live in Hawaii and was looking for something lightweight for hiking/jogging and while the Fioo BTR5 is good, it obviously not as resolving as a properly wired DAC/amp. I tried dongles like the Audirect Beam and the AQ Cobalt but while the DACs were good they felt wimpy with a moderate impedance IEM like the Thummim or the Noble Kaiser K10. The W2 is the best of both worlds for IEMs - resolving and punchy.

But when puttering around the house you may want to swap out the IEMs for headphones.
The Wa11 is powerful enough to drive even my Abyss Diana Phi and ZMF Verite Closed but the DAC section was always the Achilles heel. Hopefully getting a proper interconnect will fix that.
I have Fiio BTR5 AND W1 AND W2 and the Fiio is no match whatsoever to either of the L&P dongles. BTR5 is a nice device and with the Bluetooth connection, the on-board battery and the car-mode it is suitable for cars who don't have bluetooth and for outdoor, but for really good music listening the W1/2 are unbeatable to my view.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back