Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Jul 2, 2022 at 8:45 PM Post #4,816 of 5,299
Haven't heard anything from L&P on both firmware and new hardware, but they are not really the kind of company that makes a lot of announcement ahead of release. Given however the current market, I don't see them rushing out a new ToTL USB dongle especially since the competitions are yet to catch up.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #4,818 of 5,299
Just finished some measurement on my Go Bar 10 anv ed. The number is on its own really good but not quite as good as W2 (tested via E1DA Cosmos ADC + 32ohm load w/ RMAA and REW). Beyond measurement, Go Bar is rather different from W2 as far as sound signature goes. Where W2 has a very clean and neutral sound (and W2-131 to a slightly lesser extent), Go Bar has more of a classic iFi's sound signature that is on the richer and warmer tone. In fact, it has somewhat of an organic feel that I find on R-2R USB dongle like Cayin RU6, but better resolved. In short, I think my Go Bar makes for an excellent contrast to W2 sound signature wise with very fairly comparable performance

Thanks a lot @ClieOS, that's a lot of useful info packed in a brief post, well done!

And I agree, GOld Bar was tuned in our classic way, so more tailored for richness than ultimate resolution. I haven't heard W2, but after reading your post I immediately can imagine how it may sound like, so thanks for that!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jul 9, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #4,820 of 5,299
Anyone measured / analyzed the different IEM sound profiles? Curious how the IE-800S and IER-Z1R measure vs Normal mode.. personally can't hear an obvious difference on my IER-Z1R when A/B-ing.

Jul 9, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #4,821 of 5,299
Can you recommend the DAP as a decent replacement for the W2? I like the sound of the W2, but I realized that the DAP would still be more convenient for me to use.

I’ve been considering a DAP as well for when I’m away from my home and audio server. So far, I’ve come to realize that a DAP with an OS as fast and dependable as my smartphone, that can also support the size of my library, and as well can offer the power and audio quality of the W2, is going to be darn expensive…

Jul 9, 2022 at 8:32 PM Post #4,822 of 5,299
Anyone measured / analyzed the different IEM sound profiles? Curious how the IE-800S and IER-Z1R measure vs Normal mode.. personally can't hear an obvious difference on my IER-Z1R when A/B-ing.
SpectrumW2EQ.png

SpectrumW2SDF.png

Took me a couple of hours to get these done. Can't say I understand the whole IEM tuning thingy after looking their FR curve. Good thing I don't really use them.

Jul 9, 2022 at 11:14 PM Post #4,823 of 5,299
Ahh so Z1R profile gives +0.5dB bass boost and recesses the treble up to -2dB at 3.5kHz.. interesting..

Per crin's measurements, 3.5kHz is the first treble peak.. suppose with this SDF, it reduces sibilance, increase soundstage at the expense of detail? Will keep listening..

Else, back to Normal mode I guess.. Thank you, boss @ClieOS!

Edit: Found a good example: at around 0:50 of Lana Del Rey's Video Game, the Z1R SDF profile reduces resonance and sibilance in the chorus "it's you, it's you, it's all for you, everything I do..." I prefer the normal profile but can see how it can help those sensitive to sibilance. :)

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #4,824 of 5,299
Below is a mini review on an OTG cable made by L&P. It is perfect for the W2 and W1.

This is a cross post from the "Watercolor" thread.

@bluestorm1992 has read about my obsession with dongles and OTG cables. We met through the HF classifieds. That does not sound right. He recently contacted me to play with the WP2 OTG cable made by Luxury & Precision. The product line is called Ultimate Zone. The one he sent me to enjoy is the WP2 USB C to Lightning. They also do USB C to USB C. There is also a WP1. My understanding is the WP2 uses a better quality of cable vs. the WP1. The length is 13cm vs. 12cm for the OG L&P W2 dongle DAC/amp.

Let’s start with a claim of stupidity and then move on to practicality. Like on a first date, I need to blurt out my stupidities first and then get to the more concrete things.

I have been using the WP2 with my iPhone and L&P W2 dongle (one of the best words ever).

With the WP2 it seems like a pane of glass has been taken away vs. the OG cable. There is added clarity and warmth vs. the OG cable for the W2.

Yes, that seems stupid. The only thing I can attribute it to other than placebo effect is that a specific chip and circuit design is needed to make these cables do their thing. Maybe that is where the difference in sound comes from.

Let’s get to the concrete:

The manufacturer does claim 35% more efficiency with this cable. I have noticed a slower battery drain for sure. I have not done any direct comparisons though.

The cable is made of two kinds of cable. Gold-plated copper and silver-plated copper. Both are covered by silver foil.

Silver foil: ding ding ding dongle the light went on. Shielding. A word I like as much as dongle! Now I just need a shielded dongle.

That leads into a huge advantage with this cable vs OG. With the OG cable when using my iPhone and W2 OG cable I get at times RFI/EMI unless I turn off cellular on my phone. That can be annoying. With the WP2 I am not getting any interference with Cellular data on. I attribute that to the foil. But could be something else.

The housing on both ends is Titanium. Seem light and durable. What I like is the shape of the housing. It has a lip that allows me to grab onto them easier with my thumb and index finger to pull out. We all need that in life.

And now to ergonomics. Last part of any date. The OG is stiff and bounces back to straightness easily. The WP2 will stay where you want. Easier to work with and should be easier to put the cable in a position to bundle with your phone etc. It has no life of its own. It will stay how you want.

Looks like the MSRP will be $159 for this length. They might do a longer length but then the circuitry would need to be changed to accommodate the longer length. Musicteck will be carrying them soon. The first batch sold out in China already.

Yes, it is pricey but a lot of us on HF lost touch with reality a long time ago.

IMG_0063 copy.jpg

IMG_2555.jpg

IMG_2563.jpg

IMG_2564.jpg

IMG_2569.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2022 at 1:33 AM Post #4,827 of 5,299
So I just purchase W2 and for some reason my laptop (window 10) doesn't recognize it?
I did check the google drive for the firmwares and the driver but there are so many files and I don't know which one to download.
Can someone guide me through this? I really don't want to ruin my experience with the dongle.

Jul 13, 2022 at 1:49 AM Post #4,828 of 5,299
So I just purchase W2 and for some reason my laptop (window 10) doesn't recognize it?
I did check the google drive for the firmwares and the driver but there are so many files and I don't know which one to download.
Can someone guide me through this? I really don't want to ruin my experience with the dongle.
W1_V1.0.3.6_AS is the most recent

Users who are viewing this thread

Back