Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
May 21, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #4,786 of 5,290
I have yet to try the OG W2 but with this I cannot just say that the 131 is inferior. This really hits the spot when properly setup. When connected to my mobile via UAPP, I'm hearing what everyone seem to say having quite a body, heft, and thickness to the sound while being intimate and musical losing a bit of technicalities. Then I plugged this onto the PC via USB-C. Played Tidal Masters in exclusive mode (more settings) then this just opened up to another level, it doesn't sound laid back or intimate anymore. 3D soundstage, energy and dynamics just jumped out of the same playlist I heard on mobile. It was a totally higher level of experience. Possible that the PC Tidal app opened up the scaling of this dongle while being restricted in UAPP despite bit-perfect mode. Not sure if it's because drawing more power via the PC's USB-C. My settings are Normal/Normal/High Gain/VAC 2.0/Fast/HID off
IMG_20220521_210312.jpg

May 22, 2022 at 9:34 AM Post #4,787 of 5,290
I am more inclined to think the better performance is because there is more power from the PC's Type-C port to properly drive W2-131 than it is from a smartphone. It is not just W2-131 actually. W2 also performs better when connected to a PC.

May 22, 2022 at 9:37 AM Post #4,788 of 5,290
I am more inclined to think the better performance is because there is more power from the PC's Type-C port to properly drive W2-131 than it is from a smartphone. It is not just W2-131 actually. W2 also performs better when connected to a PC.
Yeah, that's what I figured. I ended up returning them, it's a good unit but the BTR5 was actually a better dongle connected to PC to my ears and it has Bluetooth, so no brainer. Hopefully I can find a good dap soon.

May 23, 2022 at 4:58 AM Post #4,789 of 5,290
Hmm.. Weirdly enough, it's not the same case with my other dongles. I have the Dragonfly Cobalt, DF Red, and Hidizs S9 Pro which performed mostly the same on both the PC and mobile except iOS which is obviously nerfed.

May 23, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #4,792 of 5,290
Hmm.. Weirdly enough, it's not the same case with my other dongles. I have the Dragonfly Cobalt, DF Red, and Hidizs S9 Pro which performed mostly the same on both the PC and mobile except iOS which is obviously nerfed.
Can't say about your dongle since I don't own any of them. But as far as L&P W2 / W2-131 go, they are designed to lower output / reduces performance on mobile devices in order to save battery. I actually measured both under smartphone vs. PC to verify the difference.

May 23, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #4,794 of 5,290
what cable (usb-c to usb-c) are you using?
I get that question every time I post a picture of one of these little cables. :) No problem, its a homemade custom USB C to USB C.

Its two of these, linked with four short lengths of silicone insulated wire and covered in heat shrink.

1653320562622.png

I have made several of them now all different lengths depending on application, they are very easy to make if you have the tools and basic soldering skills.

May 27, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #4,795 of 5,290
I’m about ready to throw in the towel on the W2.

To my ears, the W2 delivers a nice sound quality upgrade over the headphone jacks of various portable devices and laptops I own, but the sound quality is pretty lean and a far cry from my desktop setup. I know it measures well, so it’s true to the source, but that doesn’t necessarily make for riveting sound quality.

But my biggest issue with the W2 is that I can’t get it to reliably connect to any device except my wife’s iPhone. It doesn’t work with my 7th gen iPad. It doesn’t work with my old 5th gen iPad with an older iOS version installed. It doesn’t work from my wife’s new Windows laptop. I’ve upgraded to a ddHifi lightning to USB-C cable on Music Teck’s recommendation, because they say the provided cables from Luxury & Precision are garbage, but that hasn’t fixed the iPad compatibility problem. I have the latest W2 software version on the Music Teck site, V1.0.2.6.

Am I missing a trick to get the W2 to work? Or is it just not reliably compatible with some Apple products?

May 27, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #4,796 of 5,290
I have the latest W2 software version on the Music Teck site, V1.0.2.6.
Latest FW: W1_W2_V1.0.3.6_AS (2021-12-15). Check OP for links.
Can't say anything about Apple product though, but it's flawless on Android and PC.

Last edited:
May 27, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #4,797 of 5,290
I’m about ready to throw in the towel on the W2.

To my ears, the W2 delivers a nice sound quality upgrade over the headphone jacks of various portable devices and laptops I own, but the sound quality is pretty lean and a far cry from my desktop setup. I know it measures well, so it’s true to the source, but that doesn’t necessarily make for riveting sound quality.

But my biggest issue with the W2 is that I can’t get it to reliably connect to any device except my wife’s iPhone. It doesn’t work with my 7th gen iPad. It doesn’t work with my old 5th gen iPad with an older iOS version installed. It doesn’t work from my wife’s new Windows laptop. I’ve upgraded to a ddHifi lightning to USB-C cable on Music Teck’s recommendation, because they say the provided cables from Luxury & Precision are garbage, but that hasn’t fixed the iPad compatibility problem. I have the latest W2 software version on the Music Teck site, V1.0.2.6.

Am I missing a trick to get the W2 to work? Or is it just not reliably compatible with some Apple products?

I don’t know that you can compare the SQ from a dongle amp with an amp sitting on your desk because some IEM/headphones’ SQ will increase with power.

What headphones or IEMs are you speaking of?

May 27, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #4,798 of 5,290
I don’t know that you can compare the SQ from a dongle amp with an amp sitting on your desk because some IEM/headphones’ SQ will increase with power.

What headphones or IEMs are you speaking of?
Just the 7Hz Timeless, which are easy to drive. But to clarify, I am not expecting state of the art sound quality from a DAC/amp dongle that costs $320. The W2 represents excellent value if it works with your devices, it’s just not a giant killer that outperforms desktop DACs and amps even though it measures well.

Last edited:
May 27, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #4,799 of 5,290
Same experience with Dunu SA6. Yes, W2 kills LG V30 and ES100, but really pales in comparison to desktop Auralic stack.
But for the device of the size of cigarette lighter and tiny fraction of the price it's a more than a reasonable compromise.
It's just some reviewers/posters claims that it rivals desktop units are either not being entirely honest to themselves or have really mediocre desktop setups.

Jun 4, 2022 at 3:10 AM Post #4,800 of 5,290
Hi folks
Am thinking about rebuying W2 and pairing with either MEST MKII (which I once owned and liked with W2) or some Monarch MK I or II.
Anyone here owning both IEMs and can give me a recommendation?
Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back