Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Dec 13, 2021 at 9:18 PM Post #4,351 of 5,290
Just saw L&P announced a few minutes ago that preorder for W2-131 has officially started today in China and ETA is going to be December 21st.

Dec 13, 2021 at 9:26 PM Post #4,352 of 5,290
Why would you want to wish for something that you already have?

S1 and S2 are, on hardware level, incapable of Line-out (*because the chip they used, which is the same one, just doesn't have LO built in). So whatever Lotoo's LO is, it is no more than a glorified fixed volume setting. If you set it manually to the exact same volume, you will get the exact same result as Lotoo fake LO. It won't magically make S1/S2 having actual LO capability.

We want actual hardware LO because it helps to avoid double amping, which often degrade SQ by worsening dynamic range and increase SNR. But in the case of W1/W2, the output is already so clean that all you need to do is to max the volume out (or to the limit of the amp's input before clipping happens) and you can double amp it without degrading SQ. That means you don't really need a fake LO like on S1/S2 to feel better on the W1/W2 simply because they are that much better.
Because I pay for W2 and what its good, and aside I want L&P to keep up in the competition with its competitors, and win.

Dec 13, 2021 at 11:15 PM Post #4,353 of 5,290
I wanted to thank @bluestorm1992 for convincing Mr. Wan/L&P to send me their new W2 to share some quick impressions on. I believe it’ll be readily available within the month. Price hasn’t been finalized yet but the price has increased by ~$15 USD-equivalent in China from the original W2, for reference. Let me know if you have any questions!

IMG_1129 2.jpg

No Reason to Feel Blue, 131 is Here

Introduction:

I get PTSD when I think about W2s, because here in the US, it reminds me of taxes. But Luxury & Precision has helped me mostly shed the negative association with its’ own brilliant little L&P W2 dongle.

As many of you may know, L&P is no stranger to prioritizing sonic performance. Therefore, it is no surprise that the W2 took the dongle world by storm by providing excellent sonic and power capabilities in tiny form factor. I have shifted through a myriad of DAPs ranging from $300 (DX160) to $1500-1800 (M8/R8), all the way to $3600 (SP2000), and the best-value dollars I’ve spent in the hobby has easily been the W2. Is it better than all those DAPs? No-but it honestly comes quite close to the likes of the Shanling M8 at nearly 1/5 of the price.

Plus, the synergy it had with my favorite IEM, the Oriolus Traillii, had me constantly raving about how awesome the little beast could perform. Its’ ability to layer in a black background with nice micro-detail mirror technical feats that only upper-tier DAPs tend to pull off.

So when I heard that L&P was “updating” the W2 due to DAC shortages, I was a bit concerned, but also intrigued. Between their P6Pro, LP6 and W2, I trust their ability to make something sound ****ing good. Waiting on a R2R dongle, Mr. Wan :wink:.

*For the purpose of these impressions, I’ll refer to the original carbon-fiber W2 as the OG (because the OG acronym will always be OG), and the new blue w2 as the 131 (because of the CS43131 DAC chip difference).

What’s New:

There’s a saying, don’t fix what isn’t broken. And to me, the OG W2 was definitely not broken [damn you chip shortages]. Sure, you might not enjoy its default tonality, but that’s where the variety of spice kicks in for life. And lucky for us, to my ears, the 131 does offer another flavor to play with IEM synergy. But before we go into sound impressions, below is a non-technical person’s attempt at trying to explain the key differences between the two dongles…for dummies :).

-The OG uses the Cirrus Logic 43198 chip, whereas the new W2 uses CS43131

- Despite different DAC chips, the two dongles shame similar DAC function-the 131 simply has an added AMP function.

-The 131 has a reported increase in driving power of 260mw at 32ohm versus OG’s 235mw.

-Both have similar features, including 3.5mm, 4.4mm balanced, two tuning options, low and high gain, etc.

Build:

IMG_1126 2.JPGIMG_1120.jpg
131 OG

The 131 has a near identical build to its older brother, however it instead sports a classier, sexier dark-blue exterior with a mirror glass finish. The OG proudly wears a matte, carbon fiber back with a less glossy front. Weight feels the same and both are tiny. 131 will be more of a fingerprint magnet, so I would recommend considering a dongle case (which is what I did with the OG regardless). Gotta wrap the little fella up. I also felt the screen text was a bit more crisp/HD-like on the OG versus the 131.

Battery Life:

One of my biggest quips with the OG was how fast it drained my smartphone battery. I often overlooked my iPhone’s battery health due to the banging sound I was getting out of it, but it did limit my use cases…especially when out and about with no access to a charger. (Sorry girlfriend, couldn’t pick up my phone because my phone died. Because of a dongle). So is the OG portable? Yes. Truly efficient? Not really.

Fortunately, instead of just adding a shiny, new blue coat, 131 is also a slightly friendlier companion for our smartphones. L&P states that the battery drain of the 131 is 10% less than its predecessor. While I was not able to run any official tests to confirm, I did notice an anecdotal difference when streaming MQA from Tidal. Looking forward to seeing if it’s also noticeable for other users.

Sonic Performance: 131 vs. OG

IMG_1119.jpg

Tuning 2; Fast; High Gain: The 131 has excellent soundstage width and height, with solid overall depth. It seems that the depth is reigned in a bit more than the OG to bring a fuller and meatier presentation to the table. This slightly compromises layering and the overall black background. 131 mids are thicker, adding a bit more presence in the vocals and instruments. The OG opts for a more upper-mid centric presentation, portraying more upper treble to add sparkle and emphasize female vocals. There is more air/upper-treble on OG. 131 has a more balanced mid-range, particularly lower mids.

These are both fun bass dongles. OG has a touch more subbass over midbass emphasis, meanwhile 131 opts for a more balanced midbass inline with the subbass. Treble is a bit smoother on the 131, adding a more organic tone; whereas OG doubles down on its digital presentation with a fun, clarity and energetic top end without being harsh.

Tuning 1: Tuning 1 goes for more of a V-shape presentation than tuning 2, to my ears. Vocals are pushed back and treble and bass are brought forward a bit with more bite and energy.

I can see the appeal in this depending on which IEM you are listening to, but I am a mids-guy and always will be, so lock me into Team Tuning 2.

Pairings:

EVO: I actually struggled to enjoy EVO on the OG W2, mainly because it was upper-mids overkill at that point. However, the 131 adds a touch more warmth and balance into the upper frequencies to give the EVO a more organic tonality. I genuinely enjoy the 131 + EVO pairing and comes to show that these two dongles are complimentary for the right IEMs. I prefer the subbass punch of the 131 a bit more because it feels more controlled versus the boomier OG.

Traillii: To beat out the OG W2 for me with Traillii was going to be no easy feat, and as excellent as 131 is, I still preferred OG for this pairing. Mainly, I feel the OG excels in areas that accentuate Trailii’s greatest strengths, mainly airiness, layering, emotive upper-mids and sparkle. The 131 was a pleasant pairing (I mean, what doesn’t pair well with Traillii?), but the staging depth did not cut it for me with overly smooth transients.

Plus, the carbon fiber back of OG matches my bird’s cable and faceplate to the bone. Maybe I am a bit biased :)

FullSizeRender 16.jpg

Audeze LCD5: Before the TOTL headphone folks send me scathing PMs questioning why I paired a $4500 headphone with a $299 dongle instead of a $10k AMP + DAC stack, I want to thank @bluestorm1992 (again) for the suggestion. It seems Audeze has done an excellent job with its’ planar driver efficiency, and I was surprised to note that the OG and 131 both drove the LCD5 impressively well.

Technicalities took a large drop versus my iDSD Pro Signature, mainly in soundstage depth and imaging, but the more forward, energetic sound was rather pleasant and helped engagement for times when I wanted more intensity in my sound. Sometimes being too technical affects musicality. Putting the OG/131 volume at around 75 on high-gain provided solid headroom with still impressive clarity and dynamics.

IMG_1181 2.jpg

Simply put, these are some powerful little dongles!

Summary:

I tried to not riddle these impressions with too many cliches, but going to do it anyways…L&P W2 dongles provide excellent value for the buck. The OG has proven itself, and as we face a world with tricky supply-chain issues including chip shortages, L&P has successfully pivoted to provide the 131, which I think will successfully resonate with many.

131 sports a few changes versus its OG brother. It adds a more versatile and friendly tonality that I think will pair easier with most IEMs at slight expense of technicalities and clarity. Balanced, warm, smooth and full-sounding with solid technicalities…all for ~$299 and less battery drain. 131 is here.

TL;DR:

Rather than make a OG W2 sonic replacement, L&P created a complimentary tonality which opts for warm, balanced, and organic versus OG’s more energetic, sparkle, and layered sound. 131 sacrifices some technicalities for a more pleasant tuning. Slightly less battery drain is always a huge win for 131 as well.
this one.

Dec 14, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #4,354 of 5,290
For anyone who is interested, the W2-131 pre-ordering page is up on Musicteck.

https://shop.musicteck.com/products...-dac-amp-headphone-amp?variant=39659177639998

B3ADFB31-5EA3-4086-AECB-F6F647F3A048.png

Dec 14, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #4,356 of 5,290
It is 20 USD more than regular W2 because of the increased power output? 260 mW@32 ohm.
And 10% less power consumption. Also because of the increased prices for the parts I guess.

In any case, MT still has the OG available so people are free to choose either one.

Dec 14, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #4,358 of 5,290
Dec 14, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #4,359 of 5,290
Tuning 2; Fast; High Gain: The 131 has excellent soundstage width and height, with solid overall depth. It seems that the depth is reigned in a bit more than the OG to bring a fuller and meatier presentation to the table. This slightly compromises layering and the overall black background. 131 mids are thicker, adding a bit more presence in the vocals and instruments. The OG opts for a more upper-mid centric presentation, portraying more upper treble to add sparkle and emphasize female vocals. There is more air/upper-treble on OG. 131 has a more balanced mid-range, particularly lower mids.

These are both fun bass dongles. OG has a touch more subbass over midbass emphasis, meanwhile 131 opts for a more balanced midbass inline with the subbass. Treble is a bit smoother on the 131, adding a more organic tone; whereas OG doubles down on its digital presentation with a fun, clarity and energetic top end without being harsh.

Tuning 1: Tuning 1 goes for more of a V-shape presentation than tuning 2, to my ears. Vocals are pushed back and treble and bass are brought forward a bit with more bite and energy.

I can see the appeal in this depending on which IEM you are listening to, but I am a mids-guy and always will be, so lock me into Team Tuning 2.

It's my understanding that, on original W2 at least, Tune 1 and Tune 2 have the same frequency response, no difference at this level. My ears, which are musician's tired ones more than metrology instruments, tends to confirm that.

Tune 1 have slightly better transients and Tune 2 have far more details/layering (try to compare bass on both, on Tune 1 bass will have better impact, Tune 2 better definition - that's probably what you took, on Tune 1 for a a bass over emphasis). The kind of difference you can experience comparing players like Foobar2000 and Roon 1.6 for example, or UAPP and Neutron. No idea how this is achieved, the person who provided the tunes "algorithms" to L&P was quite evasive on the subject.

For those who are interrested, LL Fast (Low Lateency) is a minimal phase filter (no pre ringing) with fast attenuation, Fast is a linear phase filter with fast attenuation. LL Slow, Slow, NOS ? Why would you do that ?!

I think I may have provided these informations before on this thread, so sorry for those who have already read this, let's say, 200 pages before :wink:

@bluestorm1992 : Thanks again for the firmwares :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #4,361 of 5,290
I think he means anyone else outside of mine.

If so, the only other material I’ve seen is this link. (Can translate to English). It seems he hears a similar difference in the sonic traits between the OG and 131.

https://card.weibo.com/article/m/show/id/2309404706429033644233

@bluestorm1992 should be able to test it out soon too and hopefully others :)

Dec 14, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #4,362 of 5,290
Are there any important differences in SQ between W2 CS43198 vs CS43131?
As far as measurement goes, difference is fairly small but W2-131 is a little better than W2 original. As for subjective listening goes, I think there are too few samples out there to really have any consensus given the actual release is still a week away,.

Dec 14, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #4,363 of 5,290
I think he means anyone else outside of mine.

Correct, and also I was trying to change the topic of the previous discussion so we can get back to W2 :D

Dec 15, 2021 at 2:42 AM Post #4,364 of 5,290
Are there any important differences in SQ between W2 CS43198 vs CS43131?
The original model was the one that received accolades. Now, due to the shortage of chips, they are forced to make a new model (Production Ibasso dx300 is also stopped). They have tried to tune the 131 as the og. Is new 131 a copy?

Why when they designed og did they choose CS43198? They could have chosen CS43131. Now they only do it because of a shortage of chips

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2021 at 3:02 AM Post #4,365 of 5,290
The original model was the one that received accolades. Now, due to the shortage of chips, they are forced to make a new model (Production Ibasso dx300 is also stopped). They have tried to tune the 131 as the og. Is new 131 a copy?

Why when they designed og did they choose CS43198? They could have chosen CS43131. Now they only do it because of a shortage of chips
The 131 has a headphone amp stage, the 198 doesn't. The headphone amp can be bypassed anyway so they are essentially the same in that configuration.

As manufacturers are swapping to the 131 now don't be surprised if stock of those runs out too in the new year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back