Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Dec 13, 2021 at 3:10 AM Post #4,336 of 5,299
Consider this as Wish
So, while ago Lotoo paw S2 release update fw which allows S2 to have Line Out feature (will be avail in S1 too) - I hope readers here can convey to LP person in charge to consider a Line Out function in next FW update :slight_smile:

Dec 13, 2021 at 5:16 AM Post #4,337 of 5,299
Consider this as Wish
So, while ago Lotoo paw S2 release update fw which allows S2 to have Line Out feature (will be avail in S1 too) - I hope readers here can convey to LP person in charge to consider a Line Out function in next FW update :slight_smile:
Well the H/W won't support a line out as such without an architecture update, so you must be referring to a fixed volume level line out mode perhaps with all sound processing switched off.

This may be a compromise and a possible feature but will offer nothing over someone making those settings manually.

Dec 13, 2021 at 5:52 AM Post #4,338 of 5,299
Consider this as Wish

Why would you want to wish for something that you already have?

S1 and S2 are, on hardware level, incapable of Line-out (*because the chip they used, which is the same one, just doesn't have LO built in). So whatever Lotoo's LO is, it is no more than a glorified fixed volume setting. If you set it manually to the exact same volume, you will get the exact same result as Lotoo fake LO. It won't magically make S1/S2 having actual LO capability.

We want actual hardware LO because it helps to avoid double amping, which often degrade SQ by worsening dynamic range and increase SNR. But in the case of W1/W2, the output is already so clean that all you need to do is to max the volume out (or to the limit of the amp's input before clipping happens) and you can double amp it without degrading SQ. That means you don't really need a fake LO like on S1/S2 to feel better on the W1/W2 simply because they are that much better.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #4,339 of 5,299
My W2 stopped working- sound gets distorted after 10 seconds of playback. Won’t play music from my iPad Pro any more (usb-c)….
Any suggestions?

Dec 13, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #4,340 of 5,299
Why would you want to wish for something that you already have?

S1 and S2 are, on hardware level, incapable of Line-out (*because the chip they used, which is the same one, just doesn't have LO built in). So whatever Lotoo's LO is, it is no more than a glorified fixed volume setting. If you set it manually to the exact same volume, you will get the exact same result as Lotoo fake LO. It won't magically make S1/S2 having actual LO capability.

We want actual hardware LO because it helps to avoid double amping, which often degrade SQ by worsening dynamic range and increase SNR. But in the case of W1/W2, the output is already so clean that all you need to do is to max the volume out (or to the limit of the amp's input before clipping happens) and you can double amp it without degrading SQ. That means you don't really need a fake LO like on S1/S2 to feel better on the W1/W2 simply because they are that much better.

True, a number of DAPs use pseudo LO (Shanling is one notorious example), because they either don't have a dedicated LO routed directly from DAC or just pump the volume to the max instead of using a more clever way to bypass internal amp stage.

Personally, I think all three dongles, W2, S2, and RU6 are great and unique in their own way and with their own Pros and Cons. And, on a side note, I just updated S2 to the latest fw with LO function and while A/Bing 4.4mm output with LO enabled and disabled (volume set to 100), I found it doesn't sound the same. With S2 volume set to 100 + C9 amp (NuTube mode), I'm hearing some saturation in bass, while when switching S2 to LO w/C9 - I don't hear it. Thus, I have to assume its LO is not just a volume at 100.

Btw, noticed you got a serious beef with Lotoo dongles :p, trashing them in every post. But, don't want to digress, after all, this is W1/W2 thread :)

Dec 13, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #4,342 of 5,299
Btw, noticed you got a serious beef with Lotoo dongles :p, trashing them in every post. But, don't want to digress, after all, this is W1/W2 thread :)
I don't have a beef with Lotoo, unless you counted my bias against poor design choice / performance / implement as somewhat of a beef? Also, I trashed L&P for their poor customer service very early on this thread as well (though they have seems improved, I still think they are not up to par with others), do you think I have a beef with L&P as well? Nothing I said about Lotoo or L&P is personal or fictional based, so I don't consider myself to have any actual beef with them. I just want a product that perform up to their advertised price or matching their competition. It is fair game if they don't.

Dec 13, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #4,343 of 5,299
I don't have a beef with Lotoo, unless you counted my bias against poor design choice / performance / implement as somewhat of a beef? Also, I trashed L&P for their poor customer service very early on this thread as well (though they have seems improved, I still think they are not up to par with others), do you think I have a beef with L&P as well? Nothing I said about Lotoo or L&P is personal or fictional based, so I don't consider myself to have any actual beef with them. I just want a product that perform up to their advertised price or matching their competition. It is fair game if they don't.
How are the S1/S2 poor performers with poor design choices and implementation? I have both the S1 and W1. I bought them both on sale. :wink: I see them both performing up to their price and competition. I love them both. I rank the S1 higher overall for ergonomics and Apple compatibility and for much lower battery draw.

Dec 13, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #4,344 of 5,299

Fair enough, everybody is entitled to their own personal subjective opinion. I do pay close attention to negative comments because as a reviewer I can't physically spend a lot of hours with every product and want to be sure I don't miss any shortcomings. Tbh, I'm a bit puzzled reading your critical comments about S1/S2, because I enjoy its design, performance, and implementation, and I think W2, S2, and RU6 are like different flavors of ice cream in $300 luxury usb-dac dongle market :D They all bring something unique to the table, and in each of their corresponding threads I'm reading mostly praises from the actual paying customers.

But anyway, let's enjoy the music!!! :)

Dec 13, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #4,345 of 5,299
Sorry to read that. How did it happened? Did you drop your unit at any point, etc?
Turns out it was stopping playing due to going past 80 on high gain with my super power hungry Obravo Ra 21 C-Cu.

Interestingly enough, I can't get the W2 working with my 12.9" 2021 iPad Pro.

Dec 13, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #4,346 of 5,299
Turns out it was stopping playing due to going past 80 on high gain with my super power hungry Obravo Ra 21 C-Cu.

Interestingly enough, I can't get the W2 working with my 12.9" 2021 iPad Pro.
That’s due to the M1 chip compatibility issue. There’s a new FW for that now. Check out post #1 for the info. :)

Dec 13, 2021 at 7:34 PM Post #4,347 of 5,299
How are the S1/S2 poor performers with poor design choices and implementation? I have both the S1 and W1. I bought them both on sale. :wink: I see them both performing up to their price and competition. I love them both. I rank the S1 higher overall for ergonomics and Apple compatibility and for much lower battery draw.

This is not the place for in-depth discussion on S1/ S2, but I have commented on them on both S1 and S2 threads in the past (and somewhat covered here in a few older posts). Real world audio analyzer measurements on them, as well as on W1/W2 are all published online and they are not difficult to find. I don't want to keep repeating the same thing as like what I have said before - I don't really have any beef with Lotoo nor want to seem like I am purposely attacking them. To make a long story short, there were drama when less-than-steller measurement result was published on the S1 in some Chinese blog and Lotoo's respond by being offensive at the time instead of addressing the issue head-on was not something you would expect from well-recognized company. People talk about how much snake oil is in the audio industry as a whole - while I am not saying Lotoo is selling snake oil (and to confess, I quite like Lotoo's DAP in the past), the matter of fact is that if audio companies are much more willing to invest in audio measurement, we would have seen a lot more audio products that are solidly engineered. Case in point, W1 / W2.

Dec 13, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #4,348 of 5,299
So, anybody else had a chance to test and to compare W2 vs W2-131?

Dec 13, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #4,349 of 5,299
This is not the place for in-depth discussion on S1/ S2, but I have commented on them on both S1 and S2 threads in the past (and somewhat covered here in a few older posts). Real world audio analyzer measurements on them, as well as on W1/W2 are all published online and they are not difficult to find. I don't want to keep repeating the same thing as like what I have said before - I don't really have any beef with Lotoo nor want to seem like I am purposely attacking them. To make a long story short, there were drama when less-than-steller measurement result was published on the S1 in some Chinese blog and Lotoo's respond by being offensive at the time instead of addressing the issue head-on was not something you would expect from well-recognized company. People talk about how much snake oil is in the audio industry as a whole - while I am not saying Lotoo is selling snake oil (and to confess, I quite like Lotoo's DAP in the past), the matter of fact is that if audio companies are much more willing to invest in audio measurement, we would have seen a lot more audio products that are solidly engineered. Case in point, W1 / W2.
Measurements can be their own kind of snake oil, statistics don't lie but... I can't say I understand most audio charts and measurements. I guess I am an audio rube? I don't use my dongles to drive headphones, only IEMs. I also go by what sounds best for my ears as I pair up my DAC/amps with the IEMs that sound best to me.

I don't see how the S1 is not solidly engineered. The W1 is a well built unit, also.

I think we are just approaching the units from different perspectives, perhaps?

Back totally OT:

Yes, comparisons of the W2 vs. the W2-131 are what we need!

edit: spelling

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2021 at 8:27 PM Post #4,350 of 5,299
Measurements can be their own kind of snake oil, statics don't lie but... I can't say I understand most audio charts and measurements. I guess I am an audio rube? I don't use my dongles to drive headphones, only IEMs. I also go by what sounds best for my ears as I pair up my DAC/amps with the IEMs that sound best to me.

I don't see how the S1 is not solidly engineered. The W1 is a well built unit, also.

I think we are just approaching the units from different perspectives, perhaps?

Back totally OT:

Yes, comparisons of the W2 vs. the W2-131 are what we need!
There is one just on the last page; you may have missed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back