Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Mar 27, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #1,546 of 5,299
I just spent the last hour A/B testing the LPW2 to my Hiby R6 2020. The LPW2 is better. It has better treble response as classical music has more airiness. The bass is tighter for modern pop music. And, the instrument separation and resolution are superior. Fortunately, I always intended to pair my R6 with my Hugo 2 and/or C9. I bought it mostly for its Application and Android 9 support. This would have shocked me if I didn't hear from others that the W2 outperformed their midfi DAPs. I would be interested in hearing a comparison of the R8 to the W2. This Dongle is a winner and makes the iPhone relevant again for audio. Oh. I forgot to mention that I hate the lightning cable. They should have at least made them black. Whoever made the decision to include white cables had a brain fart that day. I am definitely replacing those cables.

Same here. That white cable is part of the reason I haven’t bought a W2 yet, that and it not having a silicone or leather cover yet. I use the S1 with my iPhone so I can’t wait to try out the W2.

Mar 27, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #1,547 of 5,299
good question - well my Smartphone runs at 80% and the W2 is set to 75% volume - but then I really have as much power as I can accept. Beyond that it would eventually do damage to the ears in the mid-term. So although I always like to use equipment to let's say max 50% and here have to go at least 2/3 of the max - increasing the W2 volume to 80% like on the Smartphone (I use independent Volume settings) would be beyond what my ears could tolerate.
For a really softly recorded album I may have to set the W2 to 77%, but then again - that is the max of what my ear can deal with - so there is sufficient margin and room for driving the Traillii well. BUT I repeat again - the stock earbuds lack good fit and the bird sounds not only a bit compressed but has also less drive - puttting Spinfit or other brand that closes the ear well - brings more bass, more clarity and more volume to the bird. Hope that helps
Understand. I'm not just talking about volume, as we all know you can drive most IEMs by turning the volume up to max. I just find that more powerful DAPS and amps are able to really push the dynamic range of the Trailli, more layers and nuances. For example, I tried the QLS QA390 and immediately it was apparent that the Trailli is hitting peak potential with the volume very low. Obviously W2 is not the same as a transportable. If the conclusion is for it's size the W2 is one of the better dongles that can do the Trailli justice then so be it.

Mar 27, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #1,548 of 5,299
Sure thing. I'd say that the W1 actually drives the HD800 fairly(I only have single ended cables for the HD800, so I can't speak for the balanced output). With Tidal(force volume) and high gain, 75-85% volume is enough to drive the HD800. I'd consider anything over 90% too loud.

However, I feel that compared to a bigger desktop amp, there is lacking impact on the lower end and the sound stage feels a little cramped. The upper range also feels a little harsher than usual. The HD800 doesn't really pair too well with analytical and dry sounding source, and W1 is analytical. IER-M7, which is a rather dark sounding IEM, pairs wonderfully though.

So unless you're the type of person that cranks their volume up super high, W1 provides ample volume, but I'd argue that they aren't quite the best match for the HD800. If anything, Asgard 3's internal DAC, which performs worse on paper, actually sounds more pleasant than the W1.

I've only had the W1 for a day, but I'll let you know if my impressions change.
Thank you for the detailed impressions. So really no surprises given the sound signature of the original HD800. I have a similar impression with the Focal Utopia which are also a bit trebble hot. With the W2 that is a bit too much. I have all my phones with balanced cables and there is no lack of control or bass drive I can detect compared to my desktop gear.

Mar 27, 2021 at 10:33 PM Post #1,549 of 5,299
I just got my W2 today. I just spent 1.5 hours doing some A/B/C/D testing using my EE Odin as the earphones, iPhone and Tidal as my source and I compared Lotoo PAW S1, LPW2, Chord Mojo and Chord Hugo 2. To me, the sound signature is so obvious that I don't need to do much more testing. I know where it fits.

The LP W2 is a direct upgrade to the Lotoo PAW S1. It has a very similar transparent sound signature, but it just does it better all around. Whereas the S1 sounds boomy across the frequency response spectrum at times, the W2 is very tight and clean. The difference is bigger than the difference between the DragonFly Red and DragonFly Cobalt. You need a good ear to hear the difference between the Red and Cobalt. Anyone can hear the difference between the S1 and W2. I forgot to bring the DragonFly Red with me, so I can't compare it, but I prefer the S1 to the DragonFly Red.

To me, the LPW2 is comparable in quality to the Chord Mojo for driving IEMs. I only brought my ZMF VC with me on this trip, so I will test the driving power of the W2 for high impedance full headphones with it. I would be surprised if it did very well especially given the earlier description of the W2 and HD800. My guess is the Chord Mojo will have the power advantage as it can drive the VC.

The big difference between the Chord Mojo and the LP W2 is sound signature. The Chord Mojo has a warm signature whereas the W2 has a much more transparent signature. Depending on the IEM you are pairing it with, one or the other will likely sound better. To me, the Chord Mojo did better on tracks that had more of bass emphasis given its warm sound signature. The W2 did better with Classical and acoustic music. Anything that favors sound stage and transparency.

It was a complete knock out with the W2 vs. the Chord Hugo 2. The H2 was better in almost every way especially with respect to resolution; and detail and clarity.

More later as I get more ear time with it. But, this evaluation was very straight forward to me. I don't expect my opinion to change much. I look forward to pairing it with the Hugo 2 and C9 to see how far this dongle can go.
Are you doing the comparison with the Hugo 2 with the unbalanced outputs? I bought the Hugo 2 as a complement to my Focal Utopia and that combo works very well since the Hugo 2 is a bit on the warmer side. However, I could not say the Hugo is more resolving compared to driving the Focals balanced from the W2. For me the resolution on the W2 is a bit too much in that combination . But then the Focals are also easy to drive.

Mar 28, 2021 at 2:28 AM Post #1,550 of 5,299
Are you doing the comparison with the Hugo 2 with the unbalanced outputs? I bought the Hugo 2 as a complement to my Focal Utopia and that combo works very well since the Hugo 2 is a bit on the warmer side. However, I could not say the Hugo is more resolving compared to driving the Focals balanced from the W2. For me the resolution on the W2 is a bit too much in that combination . But then the Focals are also easy to drive.
Good question. I was using single ended cables on both Hugo 2 and W2 for all listening to keep it apples to apples. Over the last hour, I switched to balanced and I am shocked at the difference in quality now. At first, I thought it was the cable. But then I got my Monarchs out which has a 2.5mm balanced cable with adapters for 3.5mm SE and 4.4mm Balanced and the sound is even more unbelievable than before. The sound stage opened up and became more 3D and the clarity and detail increased dramatically as well. I have a balanced and single ended cable for my Z1Rs. I am going to try that out next.

Edited to note. I have my ZMF Verite Closed with 4-pin XLR and a 4.4mm termination with me. I just had to try it out with the W2. With my iPhone, it could handle everything I threw at it except for songs with a lot of sub bass. I have it on high gain and running at about 60-65%. This is a bit higher than I typically like because that is the point that I start getting significant distortion. The VC are very picky about what drives them and are usually best with tube amps. When listening on my iPhone, I decided I needed EQ. So, I connected it to my laptop and EQed the VC to Harman and the sound is phenomenal. The only thing the W2 can't do is delivery huge sub bass. I created a 100hz bass shelf and even if I cranked it up to 15db, it wouldn't rumble like I can get the Hugo 2 to do. I am shocked that this little dongle can drive the ZMF as well as it does. My Hiby R6 2020 definitely can't do it. This is one helluva dongle.

Second edit: I had a problem with my EQ profile. I fixed it, but the result is similar. I get more sub bass, but I can't get the full sub bass rumble with the VC. But, this sound should satisfy anyone except the most ardent bass heads. Also, when EQ, I have to increase the gain to close to 75% which is a bit beyond my comfort zone for low headroom

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #1,552 of 5,299
Noob question, does the systemwide eq / autoeq / wavelet on my android phone works if i use external dac / dongle like l&p w1/w2 ? Thanks
Can't check with W2 yet but wavelet works only with mid-fi on my non-rooted phone + S1: e.g. YouTube Music but not Tidal or UAPP. Uninstalled it for that reason

Mar 28, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #1,554 of 5,299
Can't check with W2 yet but wavelet works only with mid-fi on my non-rooted phone + S1: e.g. YouTube Music but not Tidal or UAPP. Uninstalled it for that reason
I don't think so. I think Wavelet only works with a directly connected headphone. When I tried it with line out to my Hugo 2, it stopped working. I need to try it again using a headphone jack instead of coax. In general, Wavelet doesn't work if a headphone is not connected to it though. You can tell because it stops presenting headphone options if no headphone is connected. I'll have to do some more testing to see if I can get it to work with line out or preamp out. I would like to test the Hiby R6 2020 line out to W2 running wavelet to EQ my ZMF headphones. That would be something.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #1,555 of 5,299
Same here. That white cable is part of the reason I haven’t bought a W2 yet, that and it not having a silicone or leather cover yet. I use the S1 with my iPhone so I can’t wait to try out the W2.
Buy it and work around the cables. This product is a game changer.

Mar 28, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #1,556 of 5,299
Mar 28, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #1,558 of 5,299
Can anyone else confirm or reject the idea that they are hearing a significant difference in balanced vs non-balanced mode with the W2? I have a BTR5 and Lotoo PAW S1 and they both have single end vs balanced outputs and the only difference I've heard before is more gain. I think I am hearing more than that with the W2. I want to make sure my mind isn't playing tricks on me. I can hear the difference when changing the adapters on my Thieaudio Monarchs from 3.5mm SE to 4.4mm balanced. And, I heard the difference when I swapped cables between my UM 3DT which has a 3.5mm SE cable and my Blessing 2 Dusk IEM which is using a 2.5mm balanced cable from the UM Mest Mini. The same effect happened when I rolled those cables. I am going to try it next with Z1R to see if I am crazy or this is real.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #1,559 of 5,299
Can anyone else confirm or reject the idea that they are hearing a significant difference in balanced vs non-balanced mode with the W2? I have a BTR5 and Lotoo PAW S1 and they both have single end vs balanced outputs and the only difference I've heard before is more gain. I think I am hearing more than that with the W2. I want to make sure my mind isn't playing tricks on me. I can hear the difference when changing the adapters on my Thieaudio Monarchs from 3.5mm SE to 4.4mm balanced. And, I heard the difference when I swapped cables between my UM 3DT which has a 3.5mm SE cable and my Blessing 2 Dusk IEM which is using a 2.5mm balanced cable. The same effect happened when I rolled those cables. I am going to try it next with Z1R to see if I am crazy or this is real.
I asked myself this question several times with all players I had with both types, meanwhile I am on balanced only on all of my headphones.
Besides more gain it could also be a different DAC/amp implementation as also for others DAPs and dongles.
Many are using dual dacs only with balanced out.
Could be the same with W2 but am not sure.
On my DX220 Max there is certainly a difference between the balanced and unbalanced ports besides gain.
My Denons are more laid back and relaxed vs more forward and energetic on balanced out.
Besides ports also different cables could play a role like stock unbalanced copper vs newly bought balanced silver as well as different outout impedances.
The results may differ by how the different IEMs / phones react on those changed conditions.
E.g I can tell you easily a difference in frequency response when in/decreasing output impedance only by 0,2 Ohm using my Andro Golds...
I have to confess I haven't tried unbalanced yet with W2

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #1,560 of 5,299
I asked myself this question several times with all players I had with both types, meanwhile I am on balanced only on all of my headphones.
Besides more gain it could also be a different DAC/amp implementation as also for others DAPs and dongles.
Many are using dual dacs only with balanced out.
Could be the same with W2 but am not sure.
On my DX220 Max there is certainly a difference between the balanced and unbalanced ports besides gain.
My Denons are more laid back and relaxed vs more forward and energetic on balanced out.
Besides ports also different cables could play a role like stock unbalanced copper vs newly bought balanced silver as well as different outout impedances.
The results may differ by how the different IEMs / phones react on those changed conditions.
E.g I can tell you easily a difference in frequency response when in/decreasing output impedance only by 0,2 Ohm using my Andro Golds...
I have to confess I haven't tried unbalanced yet with W2
I cable rolled with my Z1Rs. Single end cable is PW Audio Anniversary no 10 (8 wire). Balanced is Advanced AcousticWerkes Thera - Symphonym (8 core). I don't hear much difference between these 2 cables. I am thinking the difference must be in the quality of the standard cable with that came with the UM 3DT and the UM Mest Mini cable I use on my Dusks.

The sound driving the Z1Rs is fantastic. The bass and rumble is really deep and satisfying.

edited to note. I got out the Hugo 2 late this evening. Paired it up with the Z1Rs. I can reconfirm that the Hugo 2 blows the W2 out of the water.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back