Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Mar 25, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #1,471 of 5,299
DSC_0063.jpg

DDHiFi TC05

Mar 25, 2021 at 10:06 PM Post #1,472 of 5,299
I've got an S21U as well and I'm not sure if it needs a specific cable to connect with DACS. I've tried pairing with H1 and HE1000 with no success. Will have to see if W2 works when i find time to go and test it out.
The W2 works nicely with my S20U and the Neutron player. With a 1TB microSD card that is a nice portable rig...

Mar 26, 2021 at 2:55 AM Post #1,474 of 5,299
Did you need a proprietary cable for the S20U?

? Of course not. Apple is just about the only company pushing proprietary connectors, you won't really find that nonsense on Android handsets.

Mar 26, 2021 at 3:31 AM Post #1,475 of 5,299
Beginning of April... place an order, because the 2nd batch might sell as fast (or even faster) as the 1st one.
I was going to but Musicteck doesn't ship to Russia and Hifigo doesn't accept preorders.

Mar 26, 2021 at 7:35 AM Post #1,478 of 5,299
I had the W2 for a week (and quickly sold it) and I was very underwhelmed by it. To me, it sounded quite thin, insipid and antiseptic and also, it didn't have as much real driving power as I was expecting.

This is one of those audio devices that measures well but doesn't actually 'listen well'. (at least not to my ears) Its strongest characteristic is its ability at separation, but while it's neatly separating all those musical strands, it's not putting them back into an enjoyable, cohesive whole. The W2 exercises so much control over the music - as if it wants to make it conform too some dubious ideal of neutrality - that all the passion and emotion in the music is simply throttled out.

I've had the ikko Zelda and the Helm Bolt recently and both were much nicer to listen to than W2 - and at a much lower cost.

Unfortunately, I got on the hype train with this one.

Mar 26, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #1,479 of 5,299
I had the W2 for a week (and quickly sold it) and I was very underwhelmed by it. To me, it sounded quite thin, insipid and antiseptic and also, it didn't have as much real driving power as I was expecting.

This is one of those audio devices that measures well but doesn't actually 'listen well'. (at least not to my ears) Its strongest characteristic is its ability at separation, but while it's neatly separating all those musical strands, it's not putting them back into an enjoyable, cohesive whole. The W2 exercises so much control over the music - as if it wants to make it conform too some dubious ideal of neutrality - that all the passion and emotion in the music is simply throttled out.

I've had the ikko Zelda and the Helm Bolt recently and both were much nicer to listen to than W2 - and at a much lower cost.

If you're in Europe and wish to get rid of it, I'd be pleased to oblige. Pls pm me.

Mar 26, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #1,480 of 5,299

Which pairings have you tested?
I don't like the W2 with my Full Size Denon Ah D9200 but I cannot confirm your impressions with my Andromeda Gold.
So maybe a bad synergy in your case.

Thinking more about it. W2 excels in the category instrument separation and revealing clarity indeed like you are writing which my ears are used to from my TOTL DAP DX220 Max.
I have had a DX300 successor flagship DAP (now CS chips vs ESS) which the majority would call more musical but I didn't like it with my Andros as it sounded too blown in mid bass and congested in comparison to the tuning I was used to but for just relaxed lush background listening it was super.
For my known pairings I would assign Paw S1 into the category of more warm and lush, relaxed tuned with wet bass vs W2 more forward, detailed and clear presentation with a dry fast bass.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #1,481 of 5,299

Definitely you didn't spent enough time with it, even so the W2 is something that should Impress you from the first hour of listening. But then again we are all different and we don't like same things.
You are the first one out of so many to write what you just did.
I did complain too about it before as it didn't work with my Windows 7 but now it does and it sounds superb.

Mar 26, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #1,482 of 5,299
Definitely you didn't spent enough time with it, even so the W2 is something that should Impress you from the first hour of listening. But then again we are all different and we don't like same things.
You are the first one out of so many to write what you just did.
I did complain too about it before as it didn't work with my Windows 7 but now it does and it sounds superb.
I'm a believer in burn-in, so I gave the W2 every chance to impress me by giving it 35 hours of burn-in before I came to any serious judgments. I also listened to a wide variety of music and every time I was pretty much disappointed.

I bought the ifi hip DAC to replace the W2 - and what a difference! I know they're not really comparable as the W2 is a USB dongle and the hip DAC is a much larger portable unit, but for less money and less convenience you get a much nicer, much more musical sound with a much stronger headphone output. I'm enjoying music again!

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #1,483 of 5,299
I'm a believer in burn-in, so I gave the W2 every chance to impress me by giving it 35 hours of burn-in before I came to any serious judgments. I also listened to a wide variety of music and every time I was pretty much disappointed.

I bought ifi hip DAC to replace the W2 - and what a difference! I know they're not really comparable as the W2 is a USB dongle and the hip DAC is a much larger portable unit, but for less money and less convenience you get a much nicer, much more musical sound with a much stronger headphone output. I'm enjoying music again!
Once again
Which pairings are you using?
I would consider W2 for mostly IEMs only whereas others have reported good pairings with some midfi over ears.
In that category it could be on par respectively supercede top midfi DAPs up to 1000 bucks.
I find it useful to also report bad synergies here and of course own taste plays a role but it's dangerous to generalize

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #1,484 of 5,299

I bought the ifi hip DAC to replace the W2 - and what a difference! I know they're not really comparable as the W2 is a USB dongle and the hip DAC is a much larger portable unit, but for less money and less convenience you get a much nicer, much more musical sound with a much stronger headphone output. I'm enjoying music again!
Would also like to know which iem you used. Just in case it might have bad synergy with my iems. My source serves my iems

Mar 26, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #1,485 of 5,299
Which pairings have you tested?
I don't like the W2 with my Full Size Denon Ah D9200 but I cannot confirm your impressions with my Andromeda Gold.
So maybe a bad synergy in your case.

Thinking more about it. W2 excels in the category instrument separation and revealing clarity indeed like you are writing which my ears are used to from my TOTL DAP DX220 Max.
I have had a DX300 successor flagship DAP (now CS chips vs ESS) which the majority would call more musical but I didn't like it with my Andros as it sounded too blown in mid bass and congested in comparison to the tuning I was used to but for just relaxed lush background listening it was super.
For my known pairings I would assign Paw S1 into the category of more warm and lush, relaxed tuned with wet bass vs W2 more forward, detailed and clear presentation with a dry fast bass.
I have Audio Technica ATH-SR9s which are neutral-sounding, easy to drive and fairly revealing headphones, and Shure Aonic 4s which are well-balanced IEMs with good imaging and soundstaging abilities.

Also, what's with those EQ presets on the W2? They're really quite crude. The Bass one especially is awful! It just smoothers music with copious amounts of ill defined bass.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back