Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Mar 18, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #1,157 of 5,290
Finally got to sit down tonight and try this out. Hooked up to my Mac now and streaming via Tidal with HD650. While I appreciate probably not allowing HD650s reach their full potential, they are certainly sounding bloody good! Tried the IER-M9 also both on my S20 and on the Mac and with locally stored FLAC and via YouTube - again, amazing. Fantastic to have the ability to enjoy my IEMs and headphones outside of DAPs.

Mar 18, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #1,159 of 5,290
1st page of this thread, pretty much self-explaining then
Thank you.
You need to install the tool first on your PC, then download the firmware named .bin
Open the tool and add the bin file and select auto. Just wait until is done and you are good.
Keep the single button on the W2 pressed while connecting to your phone/PC to see the firmware version
Thank you.

Mar 18, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #1,160 of 5,290
when connected to my Macbook, I encounter some EMI? or short signal interruptions when e.g. receiving emails.
Anyone with same experience on Mac/Windows?
No such issues on my Iphone/Ipad so far

Mar 18, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #1,161 of 5,290
I’m using the Apple lightning USB adapter. I think the new one is the usb3 adapter. Mine is older. It works fine. Using it now.
can’t say if any none Apple adapters will work.
I’m quite impressed by this little unit.
I had a AK Alpha for two weeks before I sent it back. Completely unstable on WiFi.
I’m not saying the W2 is as good sounding as the Alpha but it’s not miles away either.
Too answer another question from earlier. Line out 100 volume low gain is 2volts. High gain 4 volts from memory on audio science forum. That was on the W1 I would think the W2 is the same?
will try spdif out when I get a cable into other dacs to see if the out put is cleaner than usb.
I can see Luxury & Percision have Spdif input on there higher end players.
maybe this was made to be a add on digital streamer for them??

Mar 18, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #1,163 of 5,290
I’m using the Apple lightning USB adapter. I think the new one is the usb3 adapter. Mine is older. It works fine. Using it now.
can’t say if any none Apple adapters will work.
I’m quite impressed by this little unit.
I had a AK Alpha for two weeks before I sent it back. Completely unstable on WiFi.
I’m not saying the W2 is as good sounding as the Alpha but it’s not miles away either.
Too answer another question from earlier. Line out 100 volume low gain is 2volts. High gain 4 volts from memory on audio science forum. That was on the W1 I would think the W2 is the same?
will try spdif out when I get a cable into other dacs to see if the out put is cleaner than usb.
I can see Luxury & Percision have Spdif input on there higher end players.
maybe this was made to be a add on digital streamer for them??
hmm, actually I thought you have paired W2 with ddHifi lightning to usbc adapter as you wrote before and not the standard Apple camera connection kit?
that's why I was asking how you manage to play and charge at the same time.
So far I am using exactly the camera connection kit to do that, see picture, but this is a little clumsy compared to a direct cable connection

Alternatively there are iPhone battery cases but I haven't dared to spend more than 100 bucks for such a case on top...

Attachments

• 789779C5-D97E-4CA6-9E6B-4A68C52C8303.jpeg
    789779C5-D97E-4CA6-9E6B-4A68C52C8303.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Mar 18, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #1,164 of 5,290
hmm, actually I thought you have paired W2 with ddHifi lightning to usbc adapter as you wrote before and not the standard Apple camera connection kit?
that's why I was asking how you manage to play and charge at the same time.
So far I am using exactly the camera connection kit to do that, see picture, but this is a little clumsy compared to a direct cable connection

Alternatively there are iPhone battery cases but I haven't dared to spend more than 100 bucks for such a case on top...
Yes that’s it👍
must correct myself.
2 volts 100 volume S/E
4 volts 100 volume balanced.

Mar 18, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #1,165 of 5,290
when connected to my Macbook, I encounter some EMI? or short signal interruptions when e.g. receiving emails.
Anyone with same experience on Mac/Windows?
No such issues on my Iphone/Ipad so far

I'm running on my MacBook Air at the moment and don't have that issue. One challenge I have is when running Audirvana, I can't play audio from other sources such as YouTube, Bandcamp etc... even when I change the output setting to W2, it just goes back to built-in speakers. When I close off Audirvana, it works fine. Not the end of the world by any means but a little annoying!

Mar 18, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #1,166 of 5,290
I'm running on my MacBook Air at the moment and don't have that issue. One challenge I have is when running Audirvana, I can't play audio from other sources such as YouTube, Bandcamp etc... even when I change the output setting to W2, it just goes back to built-in speakers. When I close off Audirvana, it works fine. Not the end of the world by any means but a little annoying!
Interesting, you are right, I haven't recognised that before and as my DX max is on repair I cannot test with a different device currently.
I assume that's some Audirvana speciality as it is getting exclusive access to the device and therefore not allowing other apps to use it...
I found SQ is extraordinary with Audirvana also with W2 by the way

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #1,167 of 5,290
Interesting, you are right, I haven't recognised that before and as my DX max is on repair I cannot test with a different device currently.
I assume that's some Audirvana speciality as it is getting exclusive access to the device and therefore not allowing other apps to use it...
I found SQ is extraordinary with Audirvana also with W2 by the way

I've just downloaded the 30 day trial of Audirvana as I wanted to try FLAC stored on my Mac, they are only there from recent Bandcamp downloads then transfered to my DAPs. After less than an hour, I can safely say I will be buying the full version.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 18, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #1,168 of 5,290
I've just downloaded the 30 day trial of Audirvana as I wanted to try FLAC stored on my Mac, they are only there from recent Bandcamp downloads then transfered to my DAPs. After less than an hour, I can safelly say I will be buying the full version.
yep, I came to the same conclusion, upsampling is again bringing some additional air and dynamics from my feeling and you can stream Tidal and Quobuz on top, play bit perfect MQA (if DAP supports it) and I haven't been diving into the plugin-options yet where you can bind DSP modules, etc.

Mar 18, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #1,169 of 5,290
yep, I came to the same conclusion, upsampling is again bringing some additional air and dynamics from my feeling and you can stream Tidal and Quobuz on top, play bit perfect MQA (if DAP supports it) and I haven't been diving into the plugin-options yet where you can bind DSP modules, etc.

Yes just connected Tidal also tonight through it - very impressive. Only a few months ago, I would say I will never stop buying CDs and vinyl... I will still buy some for now, but I have certainly changed my tune. Plus the money I've saved from not buying the stupid amounts I was buying, has allowed me instead channel the spending to this wonderful hobby!

Mar 18, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #1,170 of 5,290
This W2 is really astonishingly neutral, i.e. not artificially overemphasising frequencies and at the same time not sounding boring.
I haven't heard my Andro Golds so open and engaging but not drifting into exaggerated disco machine sound or muddiness.
Holography is also astonishing imho for such a tiny device, only topped by my DX max from the DACs/DAPs I have heard so far.
And W2 is dead silent and not hissing at all, I couldn't be happier with this pairing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back