Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Mar 18, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #1,141 of 5,290
I'm no shoe expert but IC chips usually degrade with use. Before a chip is made it needs to pass certain temperature/rigidity/electrical tests before it's fit for production. You might consider that as a factory "burn-in". The only other "burn-in" is working at room temp levels.
Tubes, some capacitor types, leds and other "analogue" components on the other hand reach what is called a "working regime" after a certain period of stress which they "keep" until their EOL. If the W2 uses any of such components in its PCB then yes, a small difference can be heard past X hours (usually). Whatever the case, your brain is also playing a role in the sound perceived.

Back on topic. I'll get my W2 by end of month. I'm curious how it will pair with the LZ A7. We could ask L&P at what volume level and gain the W2 outputs a 2v (or close to) signal to be considered as "LO" :)
Welcome to the club!

As for “LO”, I am just setting it at volume 100 ATM. Works pretty well as a source device to Cayin C9. :)

Attachments

• 89834DFC-38E1-4E83-A857-B68089F28BCE.jpeg
    89834DFC-38E1-4E83-A857-B68089F28BCE.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
Mar 18, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #1,142 of 5,290
Welcome to the club!

As for “LO”, I am just setting it at volume 100 ATM. Works pretty well as a source device to Cayin C9. :)
Thanks! I've been on the club since Andrew opened the preorders 😝
It's just that I used my cousin's address for shipping. He's coming in the EU by end of month and will bring the W2 with him.
Maybe there's good coupling between W2's output and C9's input to not create distortion even at higher volumes. We need tests with other amps too 😁
PS: are you using a Verite/Auteur/Eikon with the C9? 😉

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #1,143 of 5,290
Welcome to the club!

You are lucky with this flagship equipment!
Is there a huge difference between W2 and N6II as a source?

Mar 18, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #1,144 of 5,290
Thanks! I've been on the club since Andrew opened the preorders 😝
It's just that I used my cousin's address for shipping. He's coming in the EU by end of month and will bring the W2 with him.
Maybe there's good coupling between W2's output and C9's input to not create distortion even at higher volumes. We need tests with other amps too 😁
PS: are you using a Verite/Auteur/Eikon with the C9? 😉
Ah I see. :)

One of the key highlights of W2 is that there is no distortion even at high/max volume. Based on my experience with it so far, I can confirm that it is indeed the case.

Mar 18, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #1,145 of 5,290
You are lucky with this flagship equipment!
Is there a huge difference between W2 and N6II as a source?
There is, but I am still trying to distinguish how much of it is due to the difference in sound signature and how much is due to the technical performance. Still, using W2 is more more convenient when I want to tie C9 with my PC so that I can either sue Roon or watch movie with my gears. N6ii has the USB DAC function but is not super handy to use.

Mar 18, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #1,146 of 5,290
Received my W2 this morning.
Been playing all day apart from my burn in period.
I put it in the oven at 200c for 20 mins I remembered to turn it half way though.
Let it cooled down too room temperature then put in the freezer for an hour.
It made no difference it still sounded good.
Played HD800s on high gain at 78 vol lovely.
Played Ortofon EQ8, westone W60 lovely.
Great little piece of gear.
Only downside is battery drain. Expected.
Lightning to usbc cable is no good. Not a good fit in the phone.
ddHifi lightning to usbc adapter works perfectly.
Also plays when charging the phone.
Shall try and find a bnc adapter and connect it to TT2 .
It’s very good as a mobile and like a mini mini desktop :)
We live in great times with all this good Hifi gear.
Good job Luxury & Percision.

Mar 18, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #1,148 of 5,290
where did you upload it to ? I don't have a Baidu account so although I can see the files i don't know how to download them now
Google drive. I made them shareable to anyone with the link, which is available at post #1 of this thread.

Mar 18, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #1,149 of 5,290
I'm no shoe expert but IC chips usually degrade with use. Before a chip is made it needs to pass certain temperature/rigidity/electrical tests before it's fit for production. You might consider that as a factory "burn-in". The only other "burn-in" is working at room temp levels.
Tubes, some capacitor types, leds and other "analogue" components on the other hand reach what is called a "working regime" after a certain period of stress which they "keep" until their EOL. If the W2 uses any of such components in its PCB then yes, a small difference can be heard past X hours (usually). Whatever the case, your brain is also playing a role in the sound perceived.

Back on topic. I'll get my W2 by end of month. I'm curious how it will pair with the LZ A7. We could ask L&P at what volume level and gain the W2 outputs a 2v (or close to) signal to be considered as "LO" :)
Agree, while I have never designed any circuits with tubes, I can definitely believe that tubes change early in their life in use. There are other things than can change with use, particularly mechanical systems. And, yes, shoes, definitely change after use to better fit the wearer’s feet.

Commercial solid state electronics were what I was referring to. They do often undergo burnin at the manufacturer - that burnin is specifically intended to find components that meaningfully change in order to remove those, not to make the solid state components better after burnin. (Edit: I have never been involved in mil-spec component designs, or designs for extreme conditions such as planetary exploration. I can see how extreme circumstances may affect the components and possibly the designers would want to “burnin” those components to have them operating at some extreme end of life corner from the beginning. But it would probably be easier and more reliable to use less aggressive semiconductor technologies that withstand extreme environments better from the very beginning and undergo less change. But the W2 is outside of that realm of consideration.)

Whether a DAC or amp sounds better to listeners after burnin is the realm of a different discussion, and probably one that would bring down the wrath of the Mods. :)

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #1,150 of 5,290
Received my W2 this morning.
Been playing all day apart from my burn in period.
I put it in the oven at 200c for 20 mins I remembered to turn it half way though.
Let it cooled down too room temperature then put in the freezer for an hour.
It made no difference it still sounded good.
Played HD800s on high gain at 78 vol lovely.
Played Ortofon EQ8, westone W60 lovely.
Great little piece of gear.
Only downside is battery drain. Expected.
Lightning to usbc cable is no good. Not a good fit in the phone.
ddHifi lightning to usbc adapter works perfectly.
Also plays when charging the phone.
Shall try and find a bnc adapter and connect it to TT2 .
It’s very good as a mobile and like a mini mini desktop :)
We live in great times with all this good Hifi gear.
Good job Luxury & Percision.
I think you are the 3rd now in this thread suggesting this ddHifi lightning to usbc adapter.
So I think I will investigate that adapter too.
Are you playing and charging with this adapter in place (Which additional Y-adapter are you using for that please?) or only directly using some different Y-lightning adapter instead?
Thx

Mar 18, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #1,151 of 5,290
anyone aware of some after-market case, ideally with clip function?
I feel like W2 is flying around all the time while e.g. my headphone cable is nicely attached to my shirt with a clip.

Mar 18, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #1,153 of 5,290
Does anyone know how to get the W2 firmware? I can't figure out how to extract it from the main site.
1st page of this thread, pretty much self-explaining then

Mar 18, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #1,154 of 5,290
Does anyone know how to get the W2 firmware? I can't figure out how to extract it from the main site.
You need to install the tool first on your PC, then download the firmware named .bin
Open the tool and add the bin file and select auto. Just wait until is done and you are good.
Keep the single button on the W2 pressed while connecting to your phone/PC to see the firmware version

Mar 18, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #1,155 of 5,290
Speaking as an electrical engineer I will say that if an electronic device’s performance changes detectably after use, we often call that a “failure”. Not trying to engage in a debate, and not challenging anyone’s opinions or beliefs. Just stating how this is looked at in engineering.
I also am an engineer AND Hifi enthusiast. In Loudspeakers where one has drivers it is common to speak of burn-in and there i can understand it. But is also used in connection with AMP's and Audio Sources - and there I think we enter into the "esoteric world" of audio magic... In an IEM I also would accept a burn-in time but for the rest - i would just think that the "burn-in" effect is more in the head than in the electronic device...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back