Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
May 19, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #2,551 of 5,299
We have some many dongle comparisons and discussions in this thread, that I can almost rename it to be “dongle general discussion”. 🤣

May 19, 2021 at 3:14 AM Post #2,552 of 5,299
We have some many dongle comparisons and discussions in this thread, that I can almost rename it to be “dongle general discussion”. 🤣
I just hope proud owners of these devices aren't walking up to strangers, asking "Would you like to see my dongle?" Not to mention the glowing balls on their Mojo

May 19, 2021 at 8:39 AM Post #2,555 of 5,299
Catching up with a few other reviews, so hopefully will get to W1/W2 full review very soon. But from my notes W1 was on par with S1 performance, while W2 was noticeably ahead and on the same technical performance level as Cobalt (and functionally way ahead of Cobalt). Of course, pair up synergy is very important and can make even the best source sound like crap, but based on what I'm hearing, I only reach out to W2 now (paired up with Traillii and Mest MKII) while S1 is taking a break.

May 19, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #2,556 of 5,299
Does anyone know whether the W2 can sufficiently power the Sundara on low gain via the balanced output from an Android device?

Cheers

If you're not EQing, it is. Comfortable with most recordings. It's just enough with some orchestral recordings (like some TELARC ones).

If you're EQing with preamp to avoid clipping, high gain is mandatory with high dynamic range recordings or low level recordings (but I don't use really heavy EQ with Sundara on classical or accoustic music). Can go to -12/13dB preamp on hip/hop / EDM / electro on high gain.

Take this with a pinch of salt tough, it really depends on how loud you're usually listening music with headphones. I'm on the reasonably high level side I think.

May 19, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #2,557 of 5,299
I've switched to Tune 01 and Fast on the W2 and I'm liking it much more than my original impressions. I think that there are clearly some differences between using this with an iPhone and another source though. My original impressions were with an iPhone and it seemed to be very different

May 19, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #2,558 of 5,299
If you're not EQing, it is. Comfortable with most recordings. It's just enough with some orchestral recordings (like some TELARC ones).

If you're EQing with preamp to avoid clipping, high gain is mandatory with high dynamic range recordings or low level recordings (but I don't use really heavy EQ with Sundara on classical or accoustic music). Can go to -12/13dB preamp on hip/hop / EDM / electro on high gain.

Take this with a pinch of salt tough, it really depends on how loud you're usually listening music with headphones. I'm on the reasonably high level side I think.
Thanks for this. I would be Parametric-EQ'ing via Android>UAPP using Audio Science Review's Sundara PEQ recommendation which involves a 50Hz low shelf filter -
this is probably the main reason ASR's recommendation requires a preamp of -8.6Db.
For reference, using ASR's PEQ setting, I find 80% volume (low gain) on a iBasso DX160 reasonably high in a quiet room.

I'm really enjoying the flexibility of PEQ so might stick to with the DX160 until a good system-wide PEQ solution becomes available on Android or iOS.

May 19, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #2,560 of 5,299
Thanks for this. I would be Parametric-EQ'ing via Android>UAPP using Audio Science Review's Sundara PEQ recommendation which involves a 50Hz low shelf filter -
this is probably the main reason ASR's recommendation requires a preamp of -8.6Db.
For reference, using ASR's PEQ setting, I find 80% volume (low gain) on a iBasso DX160 reasonably high in a quiet room.

I'm really enjoying the flexibility of PEQ so might stick to with the DX160 until a good system-wide PEQ solution becomes available on Android or iOS.

ASR PEQ for Sundara is not my cup of tea (don't know if the idiom works in English ?), I prefer the flexibility of the taste adjustable PEQ from oratory1990 (first one was good, actual one is even more flexible). Huge sub bass shelf is no use for tracks that requires more volume, so you can get a good EQ for sundara with a -7dB preamp EQ.
Combo W2/Sundara is not my first choice (I mainly listen to Sundara sedentarly), but it works pretty well with W2, and if you use a -8.6dB preamp PEQ, you're good with most tracks in low gain. Note that high gain is not bad at all IMO (I use high gain with Sundara, sometimes with a -10/12dB preamp).

Last edited:
May 19, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #2,562 of 5,299
I've switched to Tune 01 and Fast on the W2 and I'm liking it much more than my original impressions. I think that there are clearly some differences between using this with an iPhone and another source though. My original impressions were with an iPhone and it seemed to be very different
I might be crazy l, but I think it sounds a touch thinner on the iPhone- especially the SE out. Sounds better on pc and even on an Android dap. I think a Sony nw a 105 would be a nice small transport for this dongle, except the battery life. I think the SE is too sharp on the W2, the balanced gets some more oomph and warmth.

I’m loving my 12 mini though, if you need/want a small phone this is it.

Last edited:
May 19, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #2,563 of 5,299
I might be crazy l, but I think it sounds a touch thinner on the iPhone- especially the SE out. Sounds better on pc and even on an Android dap. I think a Sony nw a 105 would be a nice small transport for this dongle, except the battery life. I think the SE is too sharp on the W2, the balanced gets some more oomph and warmth.

That's no surprise. I once asked Lotoo people the same question regarding S1, and the answer was the dongle is better supported in PC due to a better power supply.

May 19, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #2,564 of 5,299

I 2nd this, this is yet my 2nd W2, am always coming back to it *lol*
Though I am a heavy Iphone user after a while I always end up connecting it to some Android phone or now to my Shanling M8 as digital source, Mac is also no slouch.
There are like 6 volume steps difference between my M8 vs iPhone as digital sources.

Last edited:
May 19, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #2,565 of 5,299
That's no surprise. I once asked Lotoo people the same question regarding S1, and the answer was the dongle is better supported in PC due to a better power supply.

That does make sense, I have no idea what kind of juice and iPhone puts out. But of course PC has more power through usb. We are spoiled by output power anyways today. Remember mini disc and Sony Walkman’s? I think they had around 40 to 70 mw @16 ohms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back