Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
May 18, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #2,536 of 5,299
I received the W2 today from MusicTeck. I compared it to the Hiby R6 Pro, Lotoo S1, and the iFi Diablo for fun. I used the Sennheiser IE800S and the LCD-3 in balanced modes and high gain. My music for the day was songs by Nomak which are a good mix of speed, bass, and energy. One of my favorite tracks is Korean BBQ. I also enjoy listening to a lot of Rusted Root.

My initial impressions of the build were very positive. It certainly feels more high-end than it looks in the images. It is durable and it’s fantastic that it comes with all the cables for iPhones and Android/PC devices.

Since I own an M1 MacBook Pro and a Linux workstation, I realized that there was no easy way to upgrade the firmware without Windows. Fortunately, it was up to date. It definitely does not work with a Nintendo Switch which was disappointing but not unexpected. Perhaps that could be a firmware update with MQA someday?

It seems to have a little more power than the S1. However, even with UAPP, I did not think it had similar warmth and resolution as the S1. At the same time, it definitely had a slightly larger soundstage which I value a lot. I enjoyed listening to it, but I still preferred the S1 overall due to the ”speed” of the sound. Again, with everything, it comes down to your headphones and there was a lot more synergy with the IE800S and S1.

I’m not going to mention how the W2 fared with the LCD-3. It got loud, but lost all the planar magic.

3375FEE4-36EB-4A84-A15C-77D55924923C.jpeg

May 18, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #2,537 of 5,299
I received the W2 today from MusicTeck. I compared it to the Hiby R6 Pro, Lotoo S1, and the iFi Diablo for fun. I used the Sennheiser IE800S and the LCD-3 in balanced modes and high gain. My music for the day was songs by Nomak which are a good mix of speed, bass, and energy. One of my favorite tracks is Korean BBQ. I also enjoy listening to a lot of Rusted Root.

My initial impressions of the build were very positive. It certainly feels more high-end than it looks in the images. It is durable and it’s fantastic that it comes with all the cables for iPhones and Android/PC devices.

Since I own an M1 MacBook Pro and a Linux workstation, I realized that there was no easy way to upgrade the firmware without Windows. Fortunately, it was up to date. It definitely does not work with a Nintendo Switch which was disappointing but not unexpected. Perhaps that could be a firmware update with MQA someday?

It seems to have a little more power than the S1. However, even with UAPP, I did not think it had similar warmth and resolution as the S1. At the same time, it definitely had a slightly larger soundstage which I value a lot. I enjoyed listening to it, but I still preferred the S1 overall due to the ”speed” of the sound. Again, with everything, it comes down to your headphones and there was a lot more synergy with the IE800S and S1.

I’m not going to mention how the W2 fared with the LCD-3. It got loud, but lost all the planar magic.

I second this, it's really a question of synergy. I could never appreciate my Full Size cans with W2 - I even preferred my cheap Qudelix 5k with my Full Size Denons, but with my IEMs it was shining

May 18, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #2,538 of 5,299
I second this, it's really a question of synergy. I could never appreciate my Full Size cans with W2 but with my IEMs it was shining
Have you got the chance to try W2 with your recently acquired Traillii? :)

May 18, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #2,539 of 5,299
Have you got the chance to try W2 with your recently acquired Traillii? :)
of course :wink:
I ve listend last night.
It's a complementary setup to my M8 which I prefer over the day for more Vinyl-like thicker sound.
W2 complements it with more balanced, sightly upper mids focused dryer faster sound which I prefer for Electro, EDM, etc

May 18, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #2,540 of 5,299
of course :wink:
I ve listend last night.
It's a complementary setup to my M8 which I prefer over the day for more Vinyl-like thicker sound.
W2 complements it with more balanced, sightly upper mids focused dryer faster sound which I prefer for Electro, EDM, etc
Your post has struck a revelation for me! I was struggling to listen to a particular Jazz album on the W2 today - I really struggled to enjoy it. In general I've liked a lot of the Jazz I've listened to on the W2, but your post certainly resonates with me because I switched up to an electronic album after and boom, it was fantastic. I'm going to try the same album through the WM1A tomorrow and see if that makes the difference.

May 18, 2021 at 9:16 PM Post #2,541 of 5,299
Would you guys say Chord Mojo is better or W2 is better for smooth expansive sound with great layering&imaging? (or im happy if you name other port dac amp which is better, again it will be something like grand sounding but very good with layering&imaging, probably will pair with Oxygen, and more to come later)

edit: i had chord mojo long ago, probably will snatch a use anytime later if it is better option (yes, im into iem currently due to portability and weather concern)

Last edited:
May 18, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #2,542 of 5,299
Would you guys say Chord Mojo is better or W2 is better for smooth expansive sound with great layering&imaging?

edit: i had chord mojo long ago, probably will snatch a use anytime later if it is better option (yes, im into iem currently due to portability and weather concern)
They are very different in my opinion. Mojo is much warmer than the W2 but the W2 is more portable. I have love for both.

May 18, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #2,543 of 5,299
Technically - I would say the chord mojo is another class of dac/amp. Far more powerful, lusher sounding, and higher resolution. These battery operated amps have a lot more to work with.

May 18, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #2,544 of 5,299
They are very different in my opinion. Mojo is much warmer than the W2 but the W2 is more portable. I have love for both.

Technically - I would say the chord mojo is another class of dac/amp. Far more powerful, lusher sounding, and higher resolution. These battery operated amps have a lot more to work with.
Yes, i really dont mind the size of chord mojo. I just want to maximize the sound quality out of my ipod touch 7th. I also dont want to spend on a DAP anymore. So, you two agreed that Mojo is a superior option for me here?

May 18, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #2,545 of 5,299
All that matters is your ears. If you don’t care about size then you can’t do much better then the mojo. However with the W2, you get all the gear to use it with your iPhone. You might need a funky lightning to micro usb org cable to make the mojo work. Also, I can’t recall if it had 3.5mm jacks or the larger ones.

May 18, 2021 at 9:53 PM Post #2,546 of 5,299
All that matters is your ears. If you don’t care about size then you can’t do much better then the mojo. However with the W2, you get all the gear to use it with your iPhone. You might need a funky lightning to micro usb org cable to make the mojo work. Also, I can’t recall if it had 3.5mm jacks or the larger ones.
good points. I have all the accessories with me already! So, time to lurk used market. Ah, missing my mojo :frowning2:

May 18, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #2,547 of 5,299
Depends on use, mojo is warm and can sound to thick with warm stuff (IMO) and it can sound hissy with sensitive items. It’s got more power and better for cans but I’d take the W2 over the mojo for iem use.

personally wasn’t impressed by the mojo other than warmth and power- I’m sure I would have appreciated it more if I were driving full sized cans. I liked the S1 but it seemed a bit boring after using the r3 pro saber and the sparrow. Best thing you can do is try to demo them. I hear stuff called warm and neutral and has more resolution all the time and I am like what? Lol to me with my setup this thing is impressive, it really reminds me of a higher end dap like a wm1a which I loved but had two with dead pixels and gave up. (Iem use only)

that said, nothing these days sounds really bad and one of these would probably easy to sell and recoup most of your costs. Of course all this depends on cans/iems used and output and settings. Tone 1 and 2 are quite different sounding as is balanced and SE out, and high gain and low gain. Even the high pass filters alter the sound a bit- most times I really have to concentrate to pick out the differences they are ultra subtle.

All those variables plus the fact people hear differently, well it’s hard to make an informed decision without using the item yourself.

Last edited:
May 18, 2021 at 10:03 PM Post #2,549 of 5,299
I'll give it another try, as I'm learning about the restocking fees at Musicteck.

May 19, 2021 at 12:00 AM Post #2,550 of 5,299
I like the Mojo quite a bit. Have been enjoying one for a few years. But I actually think the Earmen Tr-amp sounds at least as good, probably even better for half the price. Unlike some people, I love the volume balls on the Mojo. I can adjust them from outside the pouch I carry it in

Users who are viewing this thread

Back