Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
May 18, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #2,523 of 5,290
Last edited:
May 18, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #2,525 of 5,290
May 18, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #2,526 of 5,290
May 18, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #2,528 of 5,290
Is there a semi-technical explanation for what to expect with the different filters? Something which explains what happens to the sound in each setting and why it matters?

Simplified it’s a high freq filter- Slow is a more gradual filter which is usually smoother and fast is a more abrupt cut off which results in a sharper filtered sound. In other words the slow filter attenuates the sound more - smoother peaks of higher frequencies. Fast/short has sharper peaks in the high frequency wave comes through. This is all relative to the low frequencies which are being filtered out.

the Low pass filter does just the opposite.

here is good info https://audiouniversityonline.com/audio-high-pass-filters/

May 18, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #2,531 of 5,290
May 18, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #2,532 of 5,290
My impressions:
Initially, I connected the W2 to my desktop PC and played spotify tracks or youtube music. I wasn't blown away as it sounded quite thin compared to other sources.
Even on the warmest setting (Personally it was high gain/Tone 1/NOS filter), the sound was barely meaty enough. I'm not sure if it certainly beat the cheaper dongles when it comes to general listening. DC04 served me well in this aspect.
So I dug up foobar which I havent been using because Spotify has been way more convenient. So with this more "serious" listening setup thru ASIO4ALL, the W2 actually shines, with decent dynamics and resolution. It doesn't sound anemic even on the leanest setting. Respectable sound, but not quite up to my personal benchmark DX160, or even more expensive DAPs like Lotoo Paw 6K or DX220.
Aw man, I was hoping it would be my best desktop dac/amp for general listening, but my JDS LABS atom backed by a dongle is still my best desktop source so far.

Next, for its intended use, plugged to my Samsung A52. Playing spotify after plugging in, it just doesn't sound right. Even on warmest setting, the upper mids feel too boosted and delicate and the tone too digital. W2 must dislike spotify haha.
I know that Spotify does not bypass the Android sample rate conversion so there is unwelcome processing being done, but I would even prefer using the headphone jack of my phone for spotify.
Switching to UAPP player on bit perfect settings....now I understand the hype behind W2. This was probably THE intended use case for W2, because dynamics were amazing, and there is actual warmth, meat in vocals, no random smearing or boosted upper mids.
Up to this point, I had been doubtful about the performance of W2, but with this setup it has the same performance as my DX160. It has perhaps a tad more dynamics than DX160, at the cost of some soundstage.
Noted that DX160 still has more settings to play with since it is a DAP, but I do appreciate that W2's filters and tone settings all add a nice flavour. Since I prefer the warmer side of things, Slow filter/Tone 2 is my choice for now.
If playing music out of UAPP/Neutron/Hibymusic on the phone/transport is your thing, I can recommend the W2 as the best dongle I've heard for this setup. I could see myself bringing it outside on days I find the DX160 too clunky.

Iems I've used for testing were Thieaudio Monarch and Prisma Azul. I wouldn't say W2 is a basshead's dongle. I do not feel the bass/lower mids being boosted like say DC04, but the sound signature seems pretty neutral. That said, it has no issues triggering the deep subbass of the Monarch. Bass is punchy and tight. Cleanliness is its strong point, though it also means it won't cover up things such as BA timbre in your iems.

WARMTH rating:
WARM/THICK------- Meizu Pro
----------------- DC04, JDS Atom
----------------- PAW S1, DX160, W2(UAPP)
NEUTRAL---------- Sonata HD, BTR5
----------------- 9038S, W2(Foobar), Apple Dong
-----------------
BRIGHT/THIN------ oversampled playback, and several dongles without bypassing android src lol

Dongle rating: W2 > DC04 > 9038S > BTR5 > Apple Dong > Sonata HD > PAW S1(disappointing tbh) > Meizu Pro

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back