Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
May 17, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #2,491 of 5,290
I was under the impression that Android fixed most of that crap, I must have been mistaken.
Yea, Android most definitely hasn't solved/allowed bypass. I was personally a fan of UAPP. Try that and let us know. Keep EQ normal, Tone 2 and FLT Fast and see how you get on. With the Andro's in particular, Low Gain is more plenty.

May 17, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #2,492 of 5,290
Ya, I'm not getting that 'out classed' impression, maybe a slightly bigger sound stage, but that is completely killed by the 'underwater' echo signature it's putting out, specifically noticeable on my Andromeda. I ordered a balanced cable to see if that helps.

Might be worth noting that the 'Xelento' setting further exasperates my issues, boomy, hallow, echo-y undertones.

This isn't a more neutral source, and I'm wondering if I got a defective unit. There's also an outside chance the my Andromedas cable is on the way out I suppose, and I can only tell with W2?... But that seems like reaching.

something must be wrong I’m using akt8ieii and it sounds fantastic. Are you using any EQ settings? What is the tone setting set to? Is it in high gain?
I’m using it with tone 2, normal eq and high gain. I am using balanced though. But even on SE it doesn’t sound echo’y at all and still has nice punch and dynamics. Lol the outclassed of course is my own opinion but the btr5 personally is down on my list of dongles. I prefer s1, sparrow, hidisz s8, w2, quedelix etc. of course it does have BT.

By chance you don’t have the EQ activated for btr5 do you?

Last edited:
May 17, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #2,493 of 5,290
something must be wrong I’m using akt8ieii and it sounds fantastic. Are you using any EQ settings? What is the tone setting set to? Is it in high gain?
I’m using it with tone 2, normal eq and high gain. I am using balanced though. But even on SE it doesn’t sound echo’y at all and still has nice punch and dynamics. Lol the outclassed of course is my own opinion but the btr5 personally is down on my list of dongles. I prefer s1, sparrow, hidisz s8, w2, quedelix etc. of course it does have BT.

By chance you don’t have the EQ activated for btr5 do you?
Normal EQ, Tone 2, Low Gain. As others have suggested I'm going to get better software / streaming service, and I'm going to give balanced cables a try with it. I'll report back.

May 17, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #2,494 of 5,290
Yea, Android most definitely hasn't solved/allowed bypass. I was personally a fan of UAPP. Try that and let us know. Keep EQ normal, Tone 2 and FLT Fast and see how you get on. With the Andro's in particular, Low Gain is more plenty.
I've been thinking about upgrading my streaming service anyway, I'm going to give Tidal a shot with UAPP. I'll update later tonight.

May 17, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #2,495 of 5,290
So I don't actually like my W2... I've had mine for three days now, and not only am I not impressed, I think I actively dislike the device. Specifically when compared to my Fiio BTR5, which is the last thing I expected. My 'softer' music sounds hallow and slightly echo'y, almost like the music is distant, down an empty hallway. My heavier music lacks impact, punchy percussion has no punch. I'm not sure what's up here, any advice? Am I doing something wrong? I'm considering a return at this point.

For reference my source is Note S10+ streaming Amazon Music HD, and I'm listening with Campfire Atlas & Andromeda, as well as a pair of Shure Aonic 5.

Did you update the firmware ?

I never listened to BTR5, but I have tried (and own) several dongles recently (Hidizs S8 and S9, iBasso DC03 and DC04, E1DA 9038GS3 and 9038D, L&P W1), W2 is by far the best of all. Some of them offers better details retrieval, but have no soundstage depth (some would say 3D) or lack bass presence and/or bass texture.

Maybe a faulty unit indeed.

Welcome to a more neutral source with a bigger soundstage. But mine has tons of dynamics and punch.

+1

May 17, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #2,496 of 5,290
W2 Arrived!

9AAD444F-2C12-47A8-A7BF-8C9B226A0D69.jpeg
E2485DA0-67B1-40CE-A5B7-645C3552EC8E.jpeg

May 17, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #2,497 of 5,290
W2 has a crazy Sinergy with IBasso IT07, I prefer it over Land pairing.
Later I’ll test more IEMs…

May 17, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #2,499 of 5,290
With IT07 I chose this setting:
Normal/Normal/high/NOS with tune 02

May 17, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #2,500 of 5,290
With MEST Mk2 I chose this setting:
Normal/Normal/high/FAST with tune 01

May 17, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #2,501 of 5,290
Really impressed 🤭

May 17, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #2,502 of 5,290
You won't get the best out of the W2 (or any single) unless you use UAPP or Hiby to bypass Android's screwy audio limits. Amazon HD doesn't play nice with either, unfortunately.
Curious about this statement. I agree that UAPP is great. Amazon HD seems to piggyback off of it with the settings I'm using. Once the USB is connected to the dac (Sparrow in my case) UAPP will open automatically. Sort of like it must be running in the background to listen to Amazon HD. There is a setting that is along the lines of "allow external apps to use driver." Something like that. If you need I'll research exactly what that setting is called

May 17, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #2,503 of 5,290
Curious about this statement. I agree that UAPP is great. Amazon HD seems to piggyback off of it with the settings I'm using. Once the USB is connected to the dac (Sparrow in my case) UAPP will open automatically. Sort of like it must be running in the background to listen to Amazon HD. There is a setting that is along the lines of "allow external apps to use driver." Something like that. If you need I'll research exactly what that setting is called

This statement is perfectly correct. The popup allows UAPP to use the DAC in exclusive mode (like ASIO or exclusive WASAPI in Windows), so it bypass android system output resampling at 16/48kHz. If active, you won't get any app to use the DAC.
If you check "release USB driver on home", other apps can use the DAC while UAPP is running in background, but it will be in "direct" mode, so Android system output resampling at 16/48kHz.
There is no way to use the DAC in exclusive mode if the feature is not implemented in your app (Neutron, Hiby, UAPP can do it for example).

Be very careful if you use the "release USB driver on home" function in UAPP, the volume in exclusive mode and the volume in direct mode (system wide) won't be the same. Let's say you used your 3.5 phone output for a phone call with microphone earphones at max volume, then you plug your DAC to listen to some music with your favorite headphone/IEM at comfortable volume, and switch to youtube to watch a video, you'll get max volume from your previous use (call) of system wide volume, not the volume you were using in exclusive mode. I always check the system volume before playing something when I switch from an app using exclusive mode. Had few bad surprises, so now I'm careful.

Last edited:
May 17, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #2,504 of 5,290
With RSV I chose this setting:
Normal/Normal/high/FAST with tune 02

May 17, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #2,505 of 5,290
There should be an archive of settings on the W2 that people use for specific iems

Users who are viewing this thread

Back